“AMAZING diving experience!!!”
Review of Carey Dive Center

Carey Dive Center
More attraction details
Owner description: Carey Dive Center PADI Dive Resort #23814 is one of the most well-established and experienced dive shops on the island. We specialize in PADI diving courses, families, groups and private trips. We not only offer diving, but also snorkeling, fishing, whale shark tours and cenote excursions. Gilberto Pat Hoil is the PADI scuba dive instructor and owner at Carey Dive Center. He has been awarded by PADI for 20 years of outstanding service. He is one of the most experienced scuba dive instructors in Isla Mujeres.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed August 4, 2011

I traveled with a group of friends to the island and we stayed for a week. Over the course of our stay we all became PADI certified. Gilberto and his staff were awesome to work with. My first open water dive I was getting pretty nervous, Gilberto held on to me the whole time until I felt safe. By the end of the week I felt so safe and comfortable I wanted to spend my whole vacation under the sea! We are planning on going back within the next 6 months... can not wait to check out more dive spots!

All reviews
"small group"
"gilberto"
in 132 reviews

Reviewed August 1, 2011

My husband and I walked up around 10:30 am and booked a noon snorkeling trip, paying in full in advance. They showed us a map and said the trip would be around 2 hours. When no one else signed up, they decided to try to put us with a group going scuba diving on a 4 hour trip. We told them we didn't have time for that, so at 12:45 they stuck us on a boat, drove us back to the ferry pier, where we told to stay on the boat... and waited for a full hour. We finally got shuffled onto another boat that was rented for the day by a family (they were as confused as we were, but there was a language barrier so we all tried to be nice). We ended up snorkeling at the lighthouse for around 45 minutes. If you are staying in Cancun, look into going on a tour right from the mainland- it will work out to be only a little more expensive than going by ferry and finding a snorkeling boat, but the hassle will be far less. Snorkeling was $35 per person.

3  Thank swifties01
Reviewed July 24, 2011

As a newly certified diver, accompanied by an experienced diver and another new diver, we couldn't have been more pleased with the wonderful time spent with Carey Dive Center. The location was convenient, the staff experienced and patient, and their prices were very reasonable. Gilberto is a safety-conscious dive master - making it even more enjoyable. It was our first time to Isla and working with Carey. What struck me were the other five divers we dove with off and on over the week, who were all multi-repeat customers and equally happy. Gilberto and his attentive staff did everything they could to make our stay on Isla a special one - and they succeeded! We’ll be repeat customers, too!

Reviewed July 12, 2011

We were in Isla the first week of July. 3 of the 4 of us were divers, 2 novice and one experienced. Gilberto was an excellent choice for all 3 divers. Rudolfo and the rest of the crew were great. We had a 10 tank dive package with Carey and were very pleased.
Would do it again in a heartbeat. (and plan to next year).

2  Thank arkansastraveler4654
See more reviews
Reviewed July 9, 2011

Just got back from a dive vacation in Isla. We had booked with Coral Divers previously. They are no longer there and Carey took over the location.

Carey is one of the most safety conscious shops that we have dove with in Mexico. Gilberto also tries to make sure that the conditions will be good and he will take you to a different dive site every day.

Ask him to dive C55 wreck and No Name. These were the two best dives of the week.

We booked our whale shark tour through Carey and we got the fastest boat and were one of the first boats to the whale sharks. I don't remember the name of the boat but the captain was named Elmer.

Carey Dive Center was great.

1  Thank penguinpete