“Lovely B and B!”

Ranked #2 of 40 Isla Mujeres B&B and Inns
Austin, Texas
“Lovely B and B!”
Reviewed March 21, 2014

We had a wonderful restful stay at Casa Sirena. The breakfast each day was fabulous and the accommodations were excellent in every way. The happy hour times were so awesome on the rooftop. You must stay here, without question! Steve is a great host and will make sure you have everything you need to make you comfortable.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed March 18, 2014 via mobile

Wow! Casa Sirena is still fabulous! Love the location, the incredible hosting by Steve, and the adult ambience! Breakfasts are a feast, the towel art remains a delight and the Happy Hour remains very festive! This is my second visit to Casa Sirena and it grows fonder with repetition! It is an oasis in this frantic world!

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank ColoradoBen1
Indy
Reviewed March 17, 2014

My husband and I recently returned from our third visit to Casa Sirena and once again had an amazing, unforgettable experience. From the moment you walk in the door, Steve immediately makes you feel at home with a cold drink and towel. It's like you are family.

The breakfasts are delicious and it's also nice that there are some options besides the daily selected meal. The rooms are immaculate and beautifully decorated. Even the animal towels had Mardi Gras beads--nice, festive touch since it was Carnaval time! We stayed in Room # 6 this time and I must say that it was our favorite. The balcony overlooks the Caribbean sea and I loved that the first thing I saw when I awoke was the blue water. In the past we've stayed in Rooms # 3 and 4 which are also both very nice. Friends that have traveled with us on this trip and in the past have stayed in Rooms # 1, 2 and 5 and everyone liked the rooms. Each room is unique and you really can't go wrong. However, the highlight of our stays are the happy hours with Steve's awesome margaritas. The rooftop bar and area is beautiful and it's so much fun to meet other travelers, have a cocktail and watch the sunset.

As far as the island, we love it. The beaches are the nicest we've been to in the Caribbean. The water is clear and great for snorkeling. We also enjoy renting a golf cart at least a day or two and going to the southern end of the island. Punta Sur is gorgeous and there are many other great beaches and restaurants on the way. Some of our favorite restaurants in town include Qubano for Cuban sandwiches and Jax for watching sports. Thanks to Steve's advice we also had great meals this trip at Olivia's, Mama Rosa's and Lola Valentina's. The Soggy Peso just past town is another favorite of ours and we love their mouth-watering ribs on Sundays.

While we've been to the island many times, this was our first time during their Carnaval and what a treat is was. The island was alive with festivities and entertainment. We also got to watch a wonderful, colorful parade of dancers and floats one afternoon which was a blast (thanks to Steve for telling us about this, too).

In summary, we love Casa Sirena and are already looking forward to planning our next visit there.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank CathyinIndy
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed March 16, 2014

I think this was our 5th visit in 6 years to Casa Sirena. My wife and I generally do not like to go back to vacation spots. Once we've been somewhere we want to see something new. We've had dinner in a palace on the canals of Venice and at the Hotel at The Casino in Monte Carlo. We've had tea overlooking The Bosphorus. We've never been back to any of them. We keep returning to Casa Sirena and Steve.
As usual, the island was fabulous, the people warm and friendly and the weather magnificent. Steve and Jose make the whole trip from the Cancun Airport so easy and comfortable. We see other tourists jockeying for taxis and vans and we have our transport pre arranged by Jose and off we go.
When we get to the hotel it feels like we are home. Food and Happy Hour are not to be missed. My wife and I had a special circumstance this visit and Steve went above and beyond what any guest might expect. Thank you once again for keeping then place like it always has been. Our Island retreat.
We decided to book the whole place again for our entire family next March. It was 2012 when we last took the group and they were very unhappy about our decision to leave them at home this year.
Thank you to Steve and his entire staff.

Room Tip: Room 1 or 4 are fabulous. But there isn't a bad one in the hotel.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Northampton, MA
Reviewed March 11, 2014

Over the last three weeks of February, I stayed at Las Palmas, Casa Sirena and Nautibeach. . On the day I arrived, Kate and Safari, the mother-daughter owner-mangers of Las Palmas were celebrating their hotel having reached the top of the Trip Advisor hotel rankings for Isla Mujeres. Casa Sirena was the top rated bed & breakfast on Isla Mujeres when I reserved a room several months ago and remains firmly on top of the ratings in its category. Nautibeach was the third rated hotel but the top rated of the hotels right on Playa Norte. All three hotels richly deserve their rankings.

Nautibeach is a good version of a small condo/hotel combination. Each unit has a kitchen. Many have views. The pool is inviting and the beach in front of the hotel less crowded than that at the slightly fancier Ixchel right next door (although not as nice as the beach slightly father east, in the direction of the Avalaon hotel). There is nothing particularly exciting about the Nautibeach and few extras (not even a coffee machine in the main office), but the location and the availability of two bedroom units makes it appealing—and a bargain—for families or couples travelling together.

Las Palmas and Casa Sirena are significantly less standard issue. They are, in some respects, very similar. Both are small (only about 8 rooms at CS, a few more at LP). Both have ex-pat owner managers, lots of return guests, casual atmospheres, and friendly common areas (something I was particularly looking for as a not particularly sociable solo traveler). Either one is an excellent alternative to the mega hotels and resorts of Cancun or Playa del Carmen. But there are also significant differences and I thought it might be more useful than adding to the already voluminous praise of each to give some sense of how they differ since those differences were not obvious to me from reading TA reviews before I arrived.

Very important: DO NOT GO TO EITHER LAS PALMAS OR CASA SIRENA LOOKING FOR A LUXURY HOTEL. if you do, you will be sorely disappointed. If you are looking for a beach side location, big pools with swim up bars, hotel restaurants, satellite TV (or, for that matter, TV of any kind), go elsewhere. What you will get at both Las Palmas and Casa Sirena is very good value in a hotel that accomplishes what it sets out to do. Like many top rated hotels on Trip Advisor both LP and CS are best of breed rather than best in the sense of fanciest or best facilities.

Both Las Palmas and Casa Sirena have post-sixties feels but different versions. Las Palmas runs toward hippie orthodox. Casa Sirena is more bourgeois bohemian. A bit to my surprise I found myself preferring the latter. If I were to return to Isla, either as a single traveler or as half a couple, I would most likely stay at CS. But some of this is a matter of taste and I can imagine others would have different preferences.

I am posting this review both under Casa Sirena, because it is for most purposes my first choice, and under Nautibeach, because I suspect more people will read it there. But I want to emphasize that any of the three is an excellent choice. The trick, though, is to look beyond simple Trip Advisor rankings and figure out what you are looking for.

Some differences:

Clientele: both LP and CS draw casual crowds. Las Palmas, is, however, much more family oriented. Not only are Kate and Safari around, but so were Safari's four year old daughter and Kate's two older brothers. Although most of the guests were couples, many retired, there were also a fair number of parents with kids ranging from a couple of years old to early teens. CS does not allow young children. My sense is that a smaller proportion are retired. My sense was also that LP had more long term guests, some staying for as long as a month. CS guests seem to stay modally for about a week.

Location: LP is a block and a half from Playa Norte, a short block away Avenida Hidalgo, the main commercial street. CS is farther south, a long block from Hidalgo, a very short walk to the sea wall on the rocky Eastern side of the island but about a ten minute walk to Playa Norte.

Views: Although CS is not directly on the water it is taller than the surrounding buildings. About half the rooms have water views and the rest look out over a very pleasant courtyard. The two roof terraces have spectacular views in all directions. Many of the rooms at LP have windows facing only onto the inner courtyard and even those that do look out do so at other buildings. Even the otherwise very pleasant roof terrace does not have much in the way of view.

Furnishings: LP is, at best, functional. Wall decorations are unframed posters. Casa Sirena is--a word I do not often use--tasteful, with occasional antiques and original paintings on the walls. The rooms at CS are also significantly larger. In its effect on overall feel, the difference is very big.

Food: Steve, at Casa Sirena, provides an excellent breakfast, different on each day of the week, much more sophisticated than standard fare of huevos revoltos. It is served in the very pleasant ground floor courtyard. Las Palmas provides only coffee but does have a communal kitchen which many guests use for both breakfast and dinner (and is probably one of reasons it has long term guests).

Happy hour: at Las Palmas, many but not all guests gather around 6. It's casual, BYOB, and the drink of choice, while I was there, was beer and occasionally rum. Happy hour at Casa Sirena is much more elaborate. Steve serves margaritas and more. Just about everybody comes. And happy hour lasts from 6 to 8. It is an event, sufficiently so that someone who doesn't drink would be missing out on a major part of CS's charm.

Pools: There is a very small plunge pool on the roof at LP. There is both a plunge pool on one of the roof terraces at CS and a slightly larger (but still by no means large) pool on the ground floor courtyard.

Privacy: Much easier to come by at CS than at LP.

Laundry: Casa Sirena will do a pillow case full for the bargain price of $4 and get it back in a matter of hours.
Price: Casa Sirena is a bit more expensive that Las Palmas but if you add in the value of breakfast and happy hour for two, it’s pretty much a wash. The budget rooms at LP are very small but make very good sense for limited budgets.

Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
8 Thank RLZ
Steve B, Owner at Casa Sirena Hotel, responded to this review, October 10, 2015
Thanks for taking the time to contribute your extensive review to the Trip Advisor community! Your description of the ambiance at Casa Sirena as "bourgeois bohemian" is quite a compliment!
Texas
Reviewed March 11, 2014

From the time you walk in the door and are greeted with a cold beer and a chilled cloth, your vacation begins. Your shoulders relax, you exhale and that tension of everyday life just melts away. Everything at Casa Sirena is wonderful, from the location to the comfortable beds (lots of pillows! Yay!). You will want for nothing. The breakfasts are absolutely delicious and the happy hours are a blast. Steve will do anything for you. Oh, wait..maybe that's just me. :) Seriously, Steve is the perfect host and I love everything about staying at Casa Sirena. Except going home.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Moongrl722
Chicago
Reviewed March 6, 2014

As I write this, I am sipping some 7 year rum (can't tell you where it's from), but it just doesn't feel the same as last week on the rooftop of Casa Sirena.

The prior reviews are all telling the truth. Steve is an excellent host and runs his place just right. The rooms are very comfortable with nice beds, soft towels, great AC & clean. Breakfast was excellent with several choices, fresh squeezed oj and and a beautiful fruit plate each day. His staff does a really good job in keeping the place spotless. There are a lot of small touches that make a big difference.

The small size of the property creates an atmosphere that allow the guests to feel comfortable enjoying each others company. We had a lot of fun and great conversation at the happy hours. The tequila tasting contest was fun & the apps delicious. And the views at sunset are amazing.

Certainly, no place is perfect. If there were a couple of items where I would change, I would see that there is wifi access in each room. Also, a little more shelf space would be great. However, these are minor and would not stop me from returning.

Steve, we really enjoyed our time in Isla. We liked meeting your family & close friends. Happy b'day to your sister. It was a truly special week.

Thank you! Thank you!