“A touch of class in a small town atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Casa Sirena Hotel

Casa Sirena Hotel
Ranked #1 of 36 Isla Mujeres B&B and Inns
Tulsa, Oklahoma
“A touch of class in a small town atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2008

On a little street, right by the ocean, you find this incredible bed and breakfast! The interior is beautifully decorated and the beds are very comfortable. The downstairs is the office area, kitchen and dining room with a computer for the guest to use, games, books and a map of the island. Just outside the dining room is a lovely swimming pool with tables and chairs and a small bar. The next 2 floors are rooms and each room is beautiful and clean. The airconditioners in the rooms are very cool. There are water containers on each floor just outside the rooms for the guests to use. The bathroom was stocked with some wonderful shampoos and conditioners that smelled heavenly! The top floor is open and has a glass wall around it. There is a hot tub on the roof and a small bar where guests are entertained nightly with a small party each night. Steve is a wonderful host and I met some wonderful people while staying there! I hope to return soon.

• Liked — Breakfast!!
  • Disliked — Having to keep track of my key! I'm terrible about remembering such things.
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with friends
2 Thank Piratechick

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2008

My fiance and I recently spent a week at Casa Sirena and I can't say enough about how amazing our experience was. It was the perfect vacation and best hotel experience we've ever had. And I'm not just saying this because we got engaged in the rooftop pool. The owner, Steve, is the most wonderful and amazing host. You will truly feel as though you're staying in his home. Steve greeted us by name and provided us with chilled, scented towels to wash our hands and face with before giving us a tour of the hotel, showing us our room, and providing maps with recommended restaurant,s bars and activities. An amazing and delicious, gourmet breakfast is included in the stay and changes daily. In addition, there's a daily rooftop happy hour from 7pm to 8pm. We had a wonderful time meeting the other guests and joining them for breakfast and happy hour. Part of the charm of this hotel is enjoying the comraderie with Steve and the other guests. The hotel is impeccably designed and decorated: spare, and modern with a black and white palate. The beds were very comfortable and so were the pillows/mattress. We stayed in Room #6, the best room with a beautiful Carribean view. I loved the location of the hotel. It was close to the main restaurant/bar row and a close distant to the best beach: the North beach. I strongly recommend renting a golf cart and seeing all of the sites on the island: Punta Sur, turtle farm, etc. More recommendations: the salt fish at Rolandi's, Chile Guilagio dish at Bamboo, dinner at Loung Almar, Zama Beach club. I strongly recommend that you choose this wonderful small hotel and if you do, give Steve a big hug from his Texas friends, Jane and Kyle.

• Liked — fabulous owner
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank AustinJane
Midwest
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2008

I just returned from a long weekend with friends at Casa Sirena and have nothing but great things to say about it. The location is walkable to the most beautiful swimming beach on the island and all the restaurants/shops downtown. The inexpensive room where I stayed was large and airy, with a luxurious bathroom and new stonework all around. It was impeccably fresh, clean, well-appointed and, well, serene. Steve made his guests feel like family in every way -- the good kind of family, not the kind you are vacationing to get away from. The rooftop deck and lower level patio provide perfect places to relax on your own, gather with other guests, or if you're like me, rediscover the pleasure of a good book or journal. Don't let the price of this place fool you. It is first-rate.

• Liked — A toss up between the luxurious rooms and the comfortable, everyone's family vibe.
  • Disliked — While the location was convenient, and the hotel felt very safe, the neighborhood is very urban. Not recommended for people who don't like being reminded they are in a developing, mostly poor country. Even as a woman traveling on her own, this was not much of an issue for me and would not keep me from going again.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled solo
3 Thank travelingfool008
London, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2008

This was our second stay at Casa Sirena. We stayed longer this time. That should give you a good indication of how much we like it. It is a great boutique style hotel in a great location on Isla Mujeres. Steve the owner is a great host and full of useful information on the island, people, beaches and especially the great places to eat!! We stayed in room 5 but we have toured the other rooms and they are all great.(the Casa Sirena website shows them all in good detail). Breakfast is included and is amazing!

The hotel is located just at the end of Hildalgo a short walk to restaurants, shopping, beaches and the ferry. We always just walk our luggage from the ferry over. It's that close!

People of all ages and interests will like this hotel.
The happy hour on the rooftop is a must. Don't miss it!!

We look forward to returning again soon.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank the_mc11
Jacksonville Beach Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2008

Made reservations in advance and lost passport. Called 5 days in advance to cancel my reservation and still charged me for both nights. From what I read and was told about this (Casa Sirena) place-I believed it was a legitimate B&B. This was the ONLY place that did not work with me (Resorts, car rentals, tours etc..) Maybe Isla Mujeres is not so special after all!

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
14 Thank markboo404
SirenaSteve, owner at Casa Sirena Hotel, responded to this review, June 11, 2008
I hate it when I am publically exposed for violating my own hotel policies.

An exception to our three-night minimum stay was made to accommodate the writer's request for a two-night stay.

Our policy regarding refunds is clearly stated and was agreed to when his reservation request was made.

Our advice to purchase trip insurance, which could have protected his travel investment, was ignored.

Even PayPal agreed that this writer's claim for a full refund on a last-minute cancellation was unjustified.

When notice of this cancellation was originally received, a gift certificate was sent for a future two-day stay at Casa Sirena. (Violating my own policies again...) Our offer of hospitality on a future visit to Isla Mujeres remains open, so when the writer gets a new passport he can see firsthand how special this little island really is.

Steve Broin
Innkeeper
Cancun, Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2008

My husband and I recently stayed at Casa Sirena for five nights. Everything about the stay could not have been more wonderful. We used the private transfers, recommended by Steven, from the airport to the ferry. The inn is a short walk and really is a wonderful clean island.
Upon arriving at the inn, we were greeted by Steven and offered a cool drink. Let me say that the inn has been restored with superb taste leaving no detail in the design missed. Our room was modern but with a true Mexican feel.
Every evening Steven hosted a fabulous sunset cocktail reception rooftop. He mixed up amazing drinks, served great appetizers and we viewed beautiful sunsets. Morning offered delicious breakfasts out on the patio.
Steven is indeed an exceptional host.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
4 Thank ourtime
Muskegon, MI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2008

Hola, I'm sad that I had to leave Casa Serena so soon. I will certainly go back some day. Steve, the owner and host, welcomes you into his lovely home and makes you feel like you are part of the "island family". We really enjoyed the evening happy hours. It gave us a chance to meet other guest's and hear about their expericences on the island as well as making friends. From excellent food, to quality service and house keeping, you will enjoy your stay, I'm sure. We only stayed 3 days but next time it will be more. We had wonderful weather as well. From 4/30 till 5/3/08. Seems to be a good time to go weather wise.
I highly recommend this place. You will not be disappointed. Julie & Brian 5/13/08

• Liked — food, staff, cleanliness
  • Disliked — ??? nothing
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends