“One of our best travel experiences ever!”
Review of Casa Sirena Hotel

Casa Sirena Hotel
Ranked #1 of 40 Isla Mujeres B&B and Inns
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“One of our best travel experiences ever!”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Let me start by saying that we have a policy of never going to the same place twice. We will make an exception for Casa Sirena. We travel a lot and this was one of our most favorite travel experiences ever. I can see why Casa Sirena is listed as the best BB in all of Mexico. Steve pays attention to all of the details - from the cold washcloths we received when we first arrived, to the beautiful decor, to the delicious breakfasts. But our favorite part of our stay at Casa Sirena was meeting Steve and his family and the other guests. I'm not typically a Bed & Breakfast person (I think of stuffy places with antiques, forced conversation, and no privacy), but this was different. Steve treated us like old friends, and invited us to Christmas dinner with his family. We looked forward to breakfasts in the beautiful courtyard and rooftop happy hours with Steve and the other guests. The atmosphere was so laid-back friendly and relaxed. It was the atmosphere that made it such a special place.

Some other things that made it a great experience were the smiling, friendly staff, and the concierge who visited every morning at breakfast to help arrange snorkeling trips, golf cart rentals, or other experiences. Other niceties included a nice beach bag and beach towels, yoga mats, sunscreen, umbrellas and other items to borrow.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 2 with a courtyard view, which was tranquil and pretty. I'd like to try an oc...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Steve B, Owner at Casa Sirena Hotel, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
My family and I enjoyed having both of you at Casa Sirena for the Christmas holiday. We hope you will make another exception to your "never going the same place twice" travel policy and join us once again for cocktails and conversation at happy hour at Casa Sirena.

Innkeeper

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
Decatur, Georgia, United States
Reviewed January 1, 2013

In mid-December, 2012, my wife and I spent eight days and seven nights in paradise. We were on Isla Mujeres in Mexico for the entire time and that in and of itself is a paradise place to be when all that you want to do is to chill out and wind down. Nice beaches on the north end of the island, everything within walking distance in the El Centro at the island’s north end, and great local restaurants, especially those to the immediate north and south of the ferry terminal. But what really made our paradise a paradise is the place where we laid our heads down at night and where we awoke to spectacular Mexican breakfasts and fresh squeezed orange juice every morning. If you don’t know about Case Sirena on Isa Mujeres, then you don’t know much. Located at the south end of the El Centro, it is a quiet and unpretentious bed and breakfast owned and operated by Steven Broin. It is a sharp and superbly attractive inn in every detail, is so tastefully styled in just about every way possible, and is just so totally comfortable and relaxing that you hardly feel that you are but a guest for only a short sojourn. And Steven’s complimentary happy hour Margaritas and cocktails certainly do not detract at all from the other things that you could be doing on Isla Mujeres at 6 p.m. Growing up in the 60’s, I used to hear a phrase on my rock station –“the host with the most” – but I did not know that it was a reference to Steven, who may or may not be the reincarnated rock station DJ “host” now living on Isla Mujeres. The rooms are large by any standard of the hospitality industry, the beds extremely comfortable and roomy, everything is so clean, well kept, and well-attended to, there’s lots of space for your shower, shaving, washing, and private business, a very ample supply of fresh spring water to drink on every floor, and an exceptionally pleasant common area and outdoor private patio to hang out on the first floor. We also really liked Casa Sirena’s Jacuzzi-like “swimming/bathing” pools on the first floor and the semi-rooftop and bar floor (relatively the same size as a very large Jacuzzi or hot tub but without the Jacuzzi or hot tub features; they are perfect for soaking and relaxing in, particularly as the temperature of the day moves upward). To top things off, literally, Casa Sirena’s open rooftop veranda is so perfect, whether it is a sunny day or beautifully star filled night. You can gaze upon the beautiful waters of the Carribean during the day; you can count the stars and the heavens on a wonderfully clear and warm night. I believe my wife may have finished two books up there even though we kept up a very nice schedule of being out and about. Casa Sirena is also very affordable, in my opinion based on my overall travel experience. Moreover, to me, I think of it as getting all of the benefits of a very fine hotel at an exceptionally economical price. If you are going to Isla Mujeres for any number of days and nights and you don’t stay at Casa Sirena, then I can only offer you my sympathies because you will have missed out on one of the best places to stay on a vacation. Go check it out: http://www.casasirenamexico.com/ Now, go stay there. I do think you’ll love it.

Room Tip: Go big; get the big bed, get the big room. It will be worth it in every way.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Steve B, Owner at Casa Sirena Hotel, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
The "reincarnated rock station DJ host" behind the bar is delighted you enjoyed your stay and that you described your visit in such flattering terms!

Innkeeper
Austin, Texas
Reviewed December 12, 2012

Whatever you do when looking for places to stay in Isla Mujeres, please, I'm begging you, stay at Casa Sirena. Beautiful, clean accommodations. Delicious breakfast. Minutes from the best beaches and ferry. Happy hour with friends while viewing sunset and the entire island from the tower terrace. Wake up and do it all over again...until the saddest day you will ever know...your last day in Isla.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Liz G
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Casa Sirena has a great central location and everyone at Casa Sirena is extremely friendly. Far better than a hotel with places to hang out with our friends be it downstairs or rooftop. It felt as if we were on vacation with more friends than the other couple we went on vacation with. My wife and I travel a lot and we definitely would come back to Casa Sirena.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
portland oregon
Reviewed December 7, 2012

When I go on vacation its the one and only time that I treat myself to whatever I wish and live like a Queen. The beauty, charm and exceptional service we experienced at Casa Sirena made both of us feel like Royalty! From the wonderful breakfast through the fun happy hours, we had a blast. Steve makes the BEST margarita ever- and I speak margarita fluently! Casa Sirena gave a five star experience for bargain price which is all too rare for travellers these days.
I can't wait to visit again:)! Thanks Steve from both of us.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank maureenohara_10
Steve B, Owner at Casa Sirena Hotel, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
We are delighted that "your majesty" enjoyed her royal visit to our humble little hotel :)

Steve
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed November 21, 2012

Thanks to you Steve for welcoming us in your charming boutique hotel! Seriously, the experience we had was as amazing as the trip advisor reviews had presented. Casa Sirena was a five minute walk from the ferry, wonderful after a long travel day! It was immaculately clean and a visual delight, from the charming open area breakfast space, complete with absolutely beautifully clean food and conversation to the upper sunset happy hour where we were honored to meet wonderful travelers. Thanks also, for the dreamy bed and linens and beach bags and bicycles available, and providing us with all the information we needed to make our Isla Mujeres experience the absolute BEST...much respect to Casa Sirena!!!

Room Tip: room 6 was lovely and has a balcony!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MvHBoulder
Gainesville, Georgia
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Thank you , again, to Casa Sirena and Steve.
As a returning guest i never tire of your lovely hotel in paradise and your team.
I had a lovely time, and your wedding breakfast for me and my friends was fabulous.
Perfect as always.....
Looking forward to my next return.
Anne

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank AnneC48
Steve B, Owner at Casa Sirena Hotel, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
We will long remember the Sunday Wedding Brunch and opening bottles of champagne with a sword!