“You just can't argue with that view...”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Ixchel Beach Hotel

Ixchel Beach Hotel
Ranked #5 of 38 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
USA
“You just can't argue with that view...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2009

Ixchel Penthouse #709 West Tower

As you round the corner from the seventh floor elevator, the sight of the amazing blue shades of the ocean against the cream colored walls and open walkway of Ixchel Condos West is one to take your breath away. Situated at the far end of the complex is Penthouse 709. A striking condo with an ocean view to match. You can hardly wait for the sunset to have one of many romantic dinners on the patio.

Outside your front door sea shells greet you as you enter this beautiful condominium. As you enter, the well appointed kitchen greets you with granite counter tops, a deep sink with cleaning (supplies under the counter), full sized fridge, four burner flat electric stove top, coffeepot, five gallon water cooler, microwave, and a portable outdoor grill. Ample storage space for your island grocery purchases and plenty of space to spread out to cook your desired meals. Provided for your stay by the hosts, you will find all the cooking utensils, dish, glass and flatware you need. In their thoughtfulness there is a portable Igloo cooler for you to use down by the seashore. The sliding glass window in the kitchen gave us a glimpse of the patio and that glorious ocean view. Beyond the kitchen is a lovely and quite comfortable dining room with seating for four. Lift your eyes and you are in the pleasing living area in warm island tones, complete with a chaise lounge, couch/futon combination, coffee table with candles, remote control flat screen TV, DVD player and IPOD docking station. There is a separate AC control panel for the living room and on in the Master Suite. There was plenty of light to read by at night with the two overhead lights with attached ceiling fans, two side tables with lamps. A nice selection of books and movies were made available for us to use.

The Maser Suite has a large dresser, two comfortable chairs, large closet with hangers and an easy to use safe to store your travel documents and funds. The king sized bed with fluffy pillows and a memory foam mattress sent you to dreamland in an instant. Another flat screen TV and DVD player round out the suite. The bathroom has a lovely separate tiled shower with an excellent supply of hot water, shower caddy with shampoo, conditioner and soaps for your use, commode and towel rack. The separate sink area also has a wall caddy (greatly appreciated) to store your toiletries. Also available were soaps, tissues, blow dryer and towel rings. To the right of the kitchen and dining area is a tasteful half bath with a mirror that covers the entire wall above the sink and commode. The handy towel ring and complimentary soaps were welcomed in this second bath.

Abundant crystal clear windows throughout the casa to catch that perfect view. For your convenience the condo has blackout curtains behind the white drapes. The sliding glass door in the living room and the glass door from the bedroom lead to exquisite views of and from the patio. As you step out onto the beige tiled patio, you are in awe by the sight of North Beach, with it's soft white sand and ocean beyond that has so many shades of blue within it you will spend hours trying to affix all the colors in your mind. On the beach are lounge chairs and umbrellas of yellow, blue and red, sunbathers and the occasional vendors add to this delightful view. Guests of this hotel have use of the blue umbrellas, lounge chairs and beach towels on the beach.

From the viewpoint of our 18 year old son, "This place is awesome". He was more than happy to stay in and read in comfort, lounge in the hot tub, spend time at the pool or watch the "hotties" from the patio. There was no problem for him to dine alone at Comono Restaurant downstairs or stroll the island with newfound friends. The futon was more than enough for him to sleep upon with the extra sheets and blanket we requested from Housekeeping. We even let him have one night in the Master Suite to himself. It was hard getting the room back!!

Under the pergola which shade you from the mid-day sun, you will find two very comfortable cushioned deck chairs and ottomans and two lounge chairs, perfect spots to read, lounge or take a short siesta. A coffee table and side table to hold your cocktails, reading materials or entrees which can be passed through from the sliding kitchen window. The various seating areas on the patio can be arranged in any way that suits your needs for the day: A cushioned loveseat and two seat bistro table by the bedroom, great for morning coffee and to watch the sunrises - the aforementioned reclining lounge chairs and cushioned seats & ottomans, perfect to watch the beach activities, sunbathers and sunsets. A comfortable hot tub is ready for use and we take advantage of it during our stay. Nothing beats a private viewing of the sunset with cocktail in hand watching the rising of the moon from this spot. Adjust your position and time of day, you can easily watch the sunrise. From morning to night the hot tub remained refreshing.

From the penthouse patio, a 360 degree view of Isla Mujeres can be seen. From the left, the islands’ southern tip called Sac Baho and the little white lighthouse on the reef can be seen. Closer still is the island’s quaint private cemetery. Let your eyes wander and you will see the island in action on the main streets of Hidago with its blue street lamps and popular eateries. Watch for the red taxi cabs, golf carts and “motos” along Avenue Medina. Look farther and see the skyline of Cancun’s Hotel Zone. Throughout the day you can watch car and passenger ferries, sailboats, catamarans, and private yachts that seem to silently skim across the waters. Be it early morning or late evening, watch the island fishermen in their colorful boats return to the docks with their catch of the day. Hear the sound of the pelicans and frigates wings as they soar to what seems to be within an arms reach from where you are standing Move towards the other side of the patio and see more of North Beach, Ixchel’s two heated private swimming pools, non-evasive thatched beach bars and the open Caribbean waters, brightly painted buildings, a few rising above the palms. Close your eyes and smell the sea, capture a trace of roasting meat and coconut tanning oil. Listen to the waves greeting the shore and hear travelers laughing and exclaiming the joys of the surf, sand and sun. Be privy to spectacular sunsets where locals and travelers alike make the pilgrimage to this spot to take part in this wonder of nature. Each sunrise and sunset are different, well worth the short time it seems for them to happen. The views are magnificent from this vantage point at Ixchel 709. I never wanted to leave these spots on the patio. So much of what I love about this island is here.

The Ixchel Staff: Greeted with a smile and a warm welcome, we felt we had our own personal staff 24/7 with Angie and Jabez, who called us by named during our stay. All the information we needed about our condo was given to us in a friendly manner. There was no pressure to use the Maid Service which was available at your choosing, whether daily, once a week or not at all. From guest towels to laundry services, the gymnasium hours, to renting a taxi or golf cart. Angie assisted us with planning a daily excursion to Xel-Ha when the numbers we had were not in service. It wasn't a bother to them to bring extra toilet paper or bottled water or hold the elevator open for you when your hands were full from shopping. It was a hidden delight to see the special "towel creations" they made during our stay. You would think that asking for the hot tub be checked, ordering room service or having a pizza delivered, even setting up a private massage on the patio would be a hindrance... nothing was out of reach for us. When the rains came and I needed to pick up an order, I was given the use of an umbrella for two days, no charge. How unexpected and appreciated. Side note: After two days of welcomed rain on the island, we asked for the hot tub to be replenished. Within an our after our request(we were off having a late lunch), the staff had removed the existing water, cleaned the tub thoroughly and put in fresh water, hosed cleaned the patio area.

We were very impressed and will return as soon as possible.

Ixchel Penthouse #709, is a hidden jewel here on Isla Mujeres, waiting for you to discover the wonders of paradise found.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank Catzeye

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (366)
  • Hebrew first
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2009

We decided to try something other than an all-inclusive and we will never go back to the all-inclusive holiday! This was the best holiday hands down that we've ever taken! I've travelled to Cuba, different parts of Mexico, done the cruise thing and this takes the cake!

The hotel was in the perfect spot, easy to walk downtown for some of the best meals that we've ever had and the free street side entertainment! The beach was incredible, but you must also go the Garaffon Castille (beside Garaffon park) Its $5, bring your own snorkel gear and you can experience some of the best reefs in the world! We rented a golf cart to get there and it was definately worth it!

You must try the street food from the vendors - the OJ and Empanadas were so incredible!

This was such a safe island and hotel and we will be back in February 2010 for yet another go-around - We can't wait and you should go too - I promise you'll love it!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Sichy
Miami
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2009

We weren't sure what to expect when we arrived and were pleasantly surprised at how nice the rooms were. The pool was a bit small but the beach right behind the hotel is so beautiful that who really needs the pool? The service was really good and I would certainly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank Luvin2trvl
Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2009

I spent three nights at the Ixchel Beach Hotel in late April. This was my first trip to Isla Mujeres. Overall, I really liked this hotel, which is a condominium complex that is operated as a hotel. I rented a standard room in the Phase II building. I rented directly from the owner via vrbo, and that worked out fine for me. The owner was very responsive to email, accepted credit card payments, offered helpful information about Isla, and the room had some amenities that I do not believe are standard in all the rooms (small coffee maker, microwave oven, small refrigerator, and bar height table with two stools placed by the window). There was a pretty decent ocean view from this unit (4th floor), so it was nice to have the table to look out the window (none of the standard hotel rooms have balconies) while having coffee or a snack.

Rooms: I prefer newer places, with more modern décor, so Ixchel was a good fit for me. The room was a good size, with two double beds, a 27” (I think) TV, a DVD and CD player, dehumidifier, safe, and the features I mentioned above. The finishes were nice – large floor tiles, nice tiles in the spacious shower with a seat, and a marble or granite vanity. The beds definitely were on the firm side, but this is not a problem for me. Linens and toiletries were good and included everything I normally use (i.e., shampoo, conditioner, soap, moisturizer) except bath/shower gel. I had two minor issues about the bathroom (I did not mention these to anyone at Ixchel since they were things I could live with or doubted they could address): 1) I never had hot water in the shower (at best it was luke warm), and 2) the shower was pretty dark (I brought in my flashlight when I needed to shave my legs!).

Amenities and Facilities: Each building has its own pool and separate chairs on the beach. The front desk in each building gives out beach towels, blue for Ixchel II and green for Ixchel I. Ixchel II also has a small fitness room with a multi-function weight machine, a treadmill, a bike, and some free weights. I used the fitness room a couple of times to do strength training, and it was sufficient to do most of my limited routine. There was beach and pool service for food and drinks, but I didn’t order anything there. I did have dinner one night at CoMoNo (the restaurant that has a location at Ixchel) at their main location on Hidalgo and enjoyed it. I didn't spend any time at the pool. I spent most of my time on the beach, and Ixchel’s beach area is pretty nice and wide, although there is a large, black “whale” that presumably part of the beach restoration work. I didn’t have any trouble getting a beach chair during my stay. One negative IMO (and I assume this would be the same at other hotels) was the number of times that vendors approached me while I was sitting on my beach chair reading. They were not pushy and accepted “no gracias” and moved on, but I was kind of surprised by how frequently this occurred. I read lots of reviews and forum posts before my trip and did not recall other people mentioning this. I understand that the beach is public and people need to make a living, but I didn’t really expect that so many vendors would approach me (or others) individually (as opposed just walking along the beach and calling out to whoever might show interest) while I was reading and showing no interest in buying anything.

Staff and service: The front desk staff spoke English well (which is good since I only know a few words of Spanish) and were professional and dealt with any issues I had. When I first arrived, my safe would not close. I called the desk, and someone came to my room within minutes. It turned out that he needed a second person to help, and it took the two of them an hour to fix the safe (by replacing the door). When I needed different coffee filters (they left pre-packaged coffee, but I brought my own coffee and filters -- wrong type for the coffee maker from home), they brought some to me right away. Housekeeping did a good job, and they always cleaned my room when I wasn’t there. The front desk also gave me an Ethernet cable to use when I couldn’t get the wifi to work with my laptop. Check-in was very quick and efficient. Check-out was slower, because I happened to arrive while two other parties were checking out, and the hotel was having some issues with the credit card machine. They were accommodating about holding my luggage after check-out and allowing me to keep a beach towel until I was ready to leave after spending a couple of more hours on the beach.

Location: Ixchel has a great location, right on Playa Norte, at the foot of the main street, Hidalgo. El Centro (the main part of town) is pretty small, so it is easy and safe to walk from Ixchel to any place in town or along Playa Norte or along the beach towards the ferry dock.

Final thoughts: Ixchel was a good fit for me. I liked the hotel’s amenities, rooms, and location, and I thought it was a good value. I would strongly consider staying at Ixchel again on a return trip to Isla Mujeres.

If I can answer any questions, please feel free to send me a private message. I posted more details about my trip to Isla Mujeres and other areas I visited on my trip in the “Yucatan Peninsula” forum. I don’t think I can provide the link to the post in this review, but the title is “April 09 trip - Isla Mujeres, Playa del Carmen, Riveria Maya”.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo
6 Thank Beachdreams2
USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2009

We stayed in a condo at this hotel for about a week. It was a lovely location - very laid-back, relaxing and well-located on the island. We had breakfast delivered to us every morning so that we could enjoy it on the balcony while taking in the ocean views and sea air. We also enjoyed the island tremendously - it is quiet, the locals are friendly and hospitable and there are some lovely small restaurants (with the best fish tacos). The specific condo we were in was very nicely decorated in a beach theme and can be rented through the following website: www.vrbo.com/90201 (unit 410). We are already planning our return trip.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank TravellingbugUsa
SW OH
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2009

We began planning a trip to Isla Mujeres over a year ago, and made reservations at Ixla Beach Hotel nearly 10 months before, based on a very nice stay we had enjoyed in 2007. This latest visit did not play out as well.

Don't get me wrong - there are some nice accommodations at the hotel. But the appointments don't apply to every room, so it is vital that you check out how a room is equipped before you sign on. This can be tricky - especially because I suggest you do not book directly with the hotel; use a travel agent instead (we learned they have more leverage). We did book through the hotel, paying a 50% deposit (which became non-refundable 2 months before the stay). Worse, when we paid the other 50%, we did not get a receipt from the company - instead they sent an e-mail which stated only that we had fully paid the balance due. It was after our stay that we discovered they had charged us about $49 more than the amount they had quoted - and they would not refund this, claiming it was due to currency conversion. But all our transactions and communications had been in US dollars. BTW - we booked 3 rooms for a week! Caveat Emptor!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank space931
Albuquerque, NM USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2009

We stayed from Apr 18 thru Apr 25, 2009.Rented Penthouse 703 thru the hotel website. The was a delayed honeymoon and the views were astounding! So, in all fairness, it was worth every penny because I'm not sure what 5 star means!

Rooms were large & spotless. Great maid service. Water Jug dispenser in the small kitchen. We did not cook but everything was there to do so. Kitchen, 2 bathrooms, vanity with sink, large bedroom and living area. Huge patio.

Very friendly staff. Very well kept grounds and clean swimming pools. Right on Playa Norte, the loveliest beach on the Isla. Shops & dining just south a block.

Only negative I would report is that it took forever ( 4hrs) for the patio Jacuzzi to heat up. They attended to it and we kept if fired up all week. I suspect that the heaters are a little undersized but I would not let it hold you back!

Tip the maid 20 Pesos and watch the towel art flourish on your bed. And the bed, very hard for sure but after a long day of fun, I did not mind it after the 1st night.

With a better bed and hotter Jacuzzi, I'd rate this 5 stars. If you have the money then splurge. There are many other rooms and the rooms from all the beach side rooms or condos would be very enjoyable.

Check out VRBO.com to see what the East Tower condos rent for. We could not get the week we wanted so we went with the hotel website. If you can't swing the Ixchel Beach Hotel then there are many places to fit into your budget.

We are going back next year for sure. So much culture, people watching, food, beach and sun. You can't go wrong to visit Isla Mujeres if you do your homework.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple