“Location, Location, Location”
Review of Hotel Villa Kiin

Hotel Villa Kiin
Ranked #9 of 39 Isla Mujeres B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 5, 2009

The best about this b&b is the enchanting location: right on the white sand beach of Playa Secreto. Water is so clear and hot that you will want to swim and snorkelling all day long! We stayed in room #4, ensuite, which although without frills was big, clean and with a fan.
We got a very relaxing experience. Staff is friendly and breakfast (included if I well remember) is served in a nearby restaurant, always on the beach.
City centre is at walking distance, let's say about 10 minutes.
Would recommend it to youngs on a budget trip.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 7, 2008

We stayed here for 4 nights. On the internet the person with whom we booked the room with was very helpful and friendly but when we got to the hotel the staff was not very helpful or friendly. We stayed in the small honeymoon bungalow. Although this was supposed to face the beach, there was a fence blocking our view. This was also locked up at dark so you could not go for moonlit walks on the beach. Also if you plan on going to any places the hotel locks it's fence to get in at around 11pm. When the wind was blowing, the ceiling that was covered with what looked like a white sheet was also blowing. You could hear everything going on outside the hotel. The toilet barely flushed and the bed was very uncomfortable. Also when we left and stayed at a better place the last three days we were there, I noticed an ankle bracelet I had bought the second day we were there, was gone. We tipped the maids very well. I've been to this island before and really love it, but I do not recommend staying here. They should be charging 20 bucks for their rooms. I think camping would have been better.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Stephanie S
Reviewed June 4, 2008

My husband and I had a very short but very nice stay at the Villa Kiin the last week of May. We stayed in the Small Honeymoon Suite, Room 4 and it was very nice. It had the basic TV with cable, a bed, closet with safe, and bathroom. It did take the hot water just a little while to warm up, but being that it was so hot by the time we took showers, it didn't matter to us! The lighting coming from the conch shell lamps was a bit on the dim side, but it added a nice touch to the "rustic" aspect of our room. We had a view of the beach from our room, we had the sidewalk with direct access to the beach right outside of our room and we were near the "Hammock Garden" which was very nice. The staff was friendly and helpful. It is definitely a nice place to stay and enjoy the calm waters nearby. It is also a very short walk to the North Beach where we had breakfast and a delicious lunch at "Buho's", the restaurant that serves a complimentary breakfast of toast with butter, jam, orange juice and coffee if you stay at the Villa Kiin. I would definitely stay there again for the great value, service and nice time we had on our stay. This is not the type of place to stay at if you are looking for a resort-type hotel, but it is definitely for those that want to have a relaxing trip and a nice place to rest.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dkritinar
Reviewed February 5, 2008

Just got back from Villa Kiin. This place is great for low key travelers. There was a communal kitchen where we made our daily food/snacks/drinks. The beds were SUPER comfortable. The bay that the hotel sits on was great for snorkeling. We even saw an octopus near the sea wall. The sand was clean. I should mention that the hotel pictures do NOT show a large hotel sitting in front of it, blocking your view. Also, we had to pay 5 dollars usd. a day to use the beach chairs on the beach and 5 dollars for using the umbrella. It was a bit of a walk into the downtown area for dinners but it was nice to get the exercise after sunning all day long. I would definately stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank gvgirl
Reviewed April 26, 2007

i like the location..the help was very helpful..loved the beach..
quiet until afternoon all people from other hotel came to our beach to play..no problem with that..;kept very clean beach area....i really enjoy the pkace...will stay there again room 12 only

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 23, 2007

A glorified backpackers - not worth what they are charging. We were given a rate of 80$USD credit card or $74 cash per night. The room was dusty, the lights were faulty, the toilet broke and worst of all we had no hot water for the entire stay. After constantly informing the staff of the lack of hot water we were forced to wait a number of times with the water running to see if it got hot! Each time, in the end, they would tell us there was nothing they could do! The hotel receptionist informed us that we would recieve a discount, but at check-out we had to pay the original rate of $74US (cash discount), and we had to pay in pesos - with their inflated exchange rate. Additionally, we had to fight to have our credit card details returned, including an extra copy of the credit card number the receptionist had written down (and denied writing down, when it was sitting in front of her!). Staff were either unfriendly or incompetent, and we would not trust them with any credit card details.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank archefusion
Reviewed February 17, 2007

Quick Summary:

Great beach and swimming at your door, within walking distance of downtown (about 10 minutes), clean rooms, VERY helpful staff (willing to help you with pretty much anything), good price.

Perfect compromise of privacy, and closeness to downtown. You don't have to rent a superexpensive golf-cart, or constantly take taxi's to get to and from food!

I see myself coming back here again, and I highly recommend this place. PLEASE don't think of this place as a Cancun like resort... It's not. It's just a cute little hotel in a great location!

Travel Tips:

They offer snorkeling gear, but we found it was WAY to tiny for us, so you might just want to bring your own mask and snorkel. They also offer beach towels so don't forget to ask. There is a lagoon perfect for swimming and exploring the fish around the rocks. Great for a novice and family to watch.

Try filling a water bottle with a couple of crackers and water. Then let it float in the water around you and watch the fish come to you!

If you go for a budget room, I would suggest #7 primarly. It's towards the back, and doesn't really have an ocean view, but it is light and airy with AC, and it seems a little bit larger than #6, and definitely brighter and cleaner.

Long version of our stay:

I didn't plan my trip until last minute, and I picked this place based on the reviews on this site. I contacted the Hotel via email directly and made reservation through the super helpful Maria. I was emailed a confirmation for the rooms (we switched rooms for a couple of nights). I made my reservations a day short, and asked for an additional night which they told me was available and wrote me in for that date.

We switched to a new room on the final night on the island. After being in this room for an hour, we were told that we had to leave and that someone else had booked the room. EGATS! Apparently it was booked and paid for 3 days after we asked for it.

We were really frustrated about this, but I understand what happened, and it was equally both of our faults. To recifty the situation, they negotiated us a swank room at Maria del Mar for the same price that we were paying at Villa Kiin. They helped up move our bags for the night, and were really apologetic about it. It really helped to leave a good taste in our mouths.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple