“Mosquitos were terrible”
Review of Hotel Villa Kiin

Hotel Villa Kiin
Ranked #9 of 39 Isla Mujeres B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 3, 2012

We have stayed at Villa Kiin many times and love its perfect location on North Beach. Unfortunately, MOST of the women at the front desk seem unhappy and miserable. For example, it seemed to be too much to get my sandy beach towels exchanged for new ones (you can exchange on every third day). The woman was not too happy to have me "bother" her. Such sour faces worked that front desk! What a shame. There's an older woman who works the desk who is very kind and nice. The mosquitos in the room were dreadful. My child was bitten to pieces by the mosquitos. We used a mosquito coil in the room and put bug repellent on her. I would like to come back again, but with the mosquito problem that has happened a few times, I just can't do this to my daughter again. I also could not sleep because I was being bitten by mosquitos but my bites at least did not swell.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank DeobrahX

Reviewed August 19, 2012

The Isla is a paradise corner of the earth. The rooms at the basement are completely surrounded by nature and in Maya style. There are hammocks in the garden and free showers. The beach is just outside the rooms and it is very well located close to the center. The breakfast is another great experience: 5 minutes walking on the white beach, under palms and admiring the caribbean sea, to a very close bar on the beach where you can have bread, coffe, marmalade and chocolate for free, but you can order incredible yogurt for few. Highly recommended. Ask for a room at the basement in Maya style.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lisa_fox85
Reviewed August 7, 2012

I just stayed at Hotel Villa Kiin and really liked it. There are various types of rooms and the first two I saw were way too dark for me. I stayed in room 18, with lots of light, a spacious bathroom and a comfortable bed. I loved the hamac garden where I could lounge in peace watching the sunset at the end of the day. The internet connection worked very well in the well stocked reading room and near the reception area. I looooved having a mini convenience store in the hotel as it was hot.hot.hot on isla last week. They had big and small cold water bottles and sodas as well as some chips.
The location is great. I did not swim on the beach right in front of the hotel as it got crowded but went a few feet down to Nabalam, paid $10 more and relaxed. It's a short walk to Hidalgo, where you can find most of the restaurants frequented by tourists. Fenix, the bar/restaurant right across the street has great salsa parties on sundays.
The staff was helpful, courteous and approachable. I have nothing bad to say about this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank AubadeWashingtonDC
Reviewed June 23, 2012

We stayed at this hotel after our trip to Cuba and it was very nice hotel surrounding sea themes including creative uses of sea shells, hammocks and huts which made us feel that we were actually on an island which was so cool!!
You can walk steps to the beach and the hotel provide free snorkel kit and although the water is waist deep at most parts there is so many fishes and perfect for those who is not experienced with snorkeling.
On our first night the A/C worked but on 2nd night it didn't and we were too lazy to complain so we used the ceiling fan instead.
This hotel is at good location in terms of beach and down town which is only 5 mins walk away, comes with decent sized room and decent sized bathroom and comes has mini fridge.
We will stay here again!!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank L C
Reviewed May 28, 2012

I have been going to Villa Kiin for approx the past 6 years and have seen the place grow and change.
The place is safe, clean and the staff ( the ladies at the front desk and our pal Nicholas) do all they can, and what ever we needed....
The cove is simply divine, the water crystal clear, and a dream for people lie me who are good swimmers, but a bit timid...snorkle out to "the rock" and you will see so many fish! We would go to the supermarket downtown...really a village sort of downtown ,purchase crackers and feed the fish.....we eat locally, and can recommend Loncheria 2 blocks away for authentic mexican lunch and early dinner....also minions...on the bay side f the island...
we love villa kiin , and recommend it highly.....

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SriYogagirl
Reviewed May 22, 2012

We love Mexico and Isla, we loved this location (next to the beach and everything) and the garden courtyard. Basically for the price it was disappointing especially due to the fact that they give you the price of the room in USD and then you have to pay in pesos at there inflated 'bank rate'. This was not something I could foresee and would have brought travellers cheques to avoid this increase of about 17%. That would have been the only way to pay in USD and avoid this mini scam. I do feel that around every corner there was some kind of scam being played on us, it can be a problem in many 3rd world countries. Anyways when you are paying $100 a night for an OK room you really wish they weren't pulling something like that, I mean that is a fair price. For all the positives I have said I would go again but with the cheques for the room. I just wish the breakfast place let you self serve, it would be way less frustrating.

Room Tip: Mayan rooms had mosquitoes the family room had cockroaches choose Pakal.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 11, 2012

POSITIVE: The only reason I gave this a 3 is because the lagoon is wonderful and the coconut grove gave the feeling of being in a jungle. We are NOT all inclusive people and rather enjoy rustic accommodations. We were on our honeymoon and looking for quiet, clean and a beach. NEGATIVE: First thing that happened was we did not see the 'rules' at the front desk informing people the beach chairs are not included. We had a nasty altercation with one of their workers who demanded we put the chairs back or pay $10. Explained we were staying there and should be included. Front desk informed us they aren't. The waves were coming up so high that we couldn't put our towels down on the sand or they would get wet and they still refused to accommodate. We did NOT stay on the beach again. Further down the North beach you can pay the $10 AND get soft drinks included. POSITIVE:The room (#4) was clean albeit really dark all the time but we really were only there to sleep and since it had a TV we were ok with this. NEGATIVE: The plumbing was an issue. The shower had NO water pressure and the toilet had issues with waste. We understand there is no real sewer/septic systems in place here and we placed our paper wipes in the trash can provided. The toilet STILL had issues. Imagine being sick to your stomach and not being able to flush your stomach contents down the drain. UGH. POSITIVE: WIFI was iffy at the best of times but there if you sat in the lobby.NEGATIVE: **DO NOT STAY OUT PAST 11PM** They lock all the gates and there is no one at the front desk to let you in. We found out the hard way at midnight. We had to squeeze through other areas to get to our unit. We were told to knock on the door when we inquired the day after however that didn't help us the night before when NO ONE ANSWERED THE DOOR! I wouldn't stay here again. It wasn't worth the price and since we refuse to pay for beach chairs at a place where WE ARE STAYING we will not return. SUCH POTENTIAL but very disappointing.

Room Tip: don't stay here. It has an amazing location but that is it! Very dark, poor plumbing, unfriendly...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple