“Jewelry and Pottery Quality, Value, Selection and Honesty. Who could ask for more?”

Galeria de Arte Mexicano
Ranked #1 of 5 Shopping in Isla Mujeres
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Minneapolis, Minnesota
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
Reviewed August 23, 2013

This little purple shop on the corner by the main square is a treasure. 10 years ago, i wanted to buy a piece of amber jewelry for a friend. I went to all the jewelry shops on the main street, but I was unsure of the prices and the quality. Finally I asked a local shop owner where to go. She sent me to Alejandro, who lives with his family on Isla. His first question was did I want real or manufactured amber? Not one of the previous places I had shopped ever mentioned that there were 2 kinds! I knew then I had found a jeweler I could trust.
He has a marvelous collection of beautiful hand made silver and stone jewelry. The hand stamps are visible, and he will show them to you. Tell him your budget and he will help you find something that fits. You pay by the ounce weight, and his prices are ALWAYS fair.
The shop also has a large selection of the famous Talavera pottery. Again, Alejandro carries several lines and will tell you about the quality and price of each.We recently wanted a Talavera teapot for our place on Isla. He asked where and how we were going to use it, and suggested we go with a less expensive line. It looks perfect on top of our hutch.
I would, and have, recommend Alejandro and this shop to anyone who wishes to buy jewelry or pottery on Isla.

Visited August 2013