Tripadvisor
Isla Mujeres
Review Highlights
Tequila side of store

I'm reading the reviews and the same thing happened to us. These reviews won't do diddly squat... read more

Reviewed 2 days ago
PaTrishaParsons
Ottawa, Canada
Joyeria Zafiro Jewelry store should be avoided!

DO NOT fall into the lure of the very sweet young man who wants to take you to his family jewelry... read more

Reviewed 3 days ago

from $155.00
from $19.99
from $73.60
More Info
See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed December 15, 2019 via mobile

After initially receiving my money back the merchant counter disputed my dispute and the money was clawed back out of my account.

I had to get an appraisal along with copies of all the bad reviews and my receipt. The charge was reversed again until the merchant sent back that it was sold as a stone in a silver ring.

I then had to do a third round of disputes stating that I did not speak spanish, and I could not make contact with the merchant to resolve the issue. Also the merchant was beyond the 30 day reply time frame of items not as described. Finally after 3 rounds of disputes the money was finally back into my account. I'm guessing if you dont have AMEX you will have to go through multiple rounds of disputes and provide clear evidence and reason to finally get your money back the time of the sale was in May and this was not wrapped up until about 4 months later.

Date of experience: May 2019
1  Thank travelbro25
Reviewed December 6, 2019

Charming salesman lured us into his shop with talk of custom jewelry, high quality and, most importantly, an offer to find a chain for my wife's charm....something she had needed for months. His story of one gold and silver necklace, "designed by his mother", caused us to spend $300 for what turned out to be a roughly $60 silver and gold plated piece of costume (not custom) jewelry which was available at numerous shops in the area. The "Mexican diamond" necklace that he sold us for $250, turned out to be a lab created stone....almost worthless. Yes, we were suckers, but the clincher was when the proprietor / salesman told us of his tale of woe, escaping a life of alcohol and drugs and turning his life over to God. What a phony. Hope you who read this are wiser than we were.

1  Thank TexasBuckeye
Reviewed November 23, 2019

We bought a bottle of tequila ( very expensive!! ) to bring home because they said we could and have us receipts to show at security and customs. Turns out you can’t bring tequila out of the county at all!! Had to throw it away.
Bought an extremely pricy ring as well. Was lied to about purity of the metal, and the type of stone. I spent over $4000.00 USD on jewelry there and it’s $100.00 on Etsy. They are charming lying snakes. We were entertaining buying a house on the island but with the level of con and trickery we will not be back.
Also another store pulled the scam that he was our waiter at the hotel and it was his brothers shop and to come on in. We didn’t really recognize him but we were only there 2 days at the time. THEY ALL LIE. If your going to buy something research it then go back knowledgeable. Good luck.

3  Thank Kelly S
Reviewed November 22, 2019

I've also heard of this scam. Don't worry too much about your experience, but just don't leave your purchases in your will!

Reviewed November 20, 2019

Carlos will meet you, tell you he knows you, tell you his parents are sick blah blah blah blah. he knew my name and hotel. He must have gotten it off my golf cart rental at Gomar.