“Encounter!”

$89.00*
and up
Garrafon Natural Reef Park: Royal Garrafon Pass
Reviewed November 10, 2013

Great great experience! Because I am pregnant I decided to do the encounter experience only.
It was my first time swimming with a dolphin and it was really cool.
We were lucky to be in a small group (just me and my husband and another couple with kids) so we had a lot of time with Lumiere, our 1 year old baby dolphin.
The trainer Jose was sweet and tried his best to make it good experience.
The only thing you should be aware of is the price of the pictures... $108 for the CD with all the pictures or $27 per picture but is a great memory to keep.
The park structure was good as well as the food.
Would definitely recommend and will be back for the royal swim when I have a chance.

2  Thank AnaMatjeka
There are newer reviews for Dolphin Discovery Isla Mujeres

Reviewed November 10, 2013

We did the full package and swam with manatees, sea lions, and dolphins. It was an awesome experience. The trainers were friendly and informative.

1  Thank HMtravelers
Reviewed November 10, 2013

My husband and daughter did this. They had a great time. They were very respectful to the trainer and listened to what she had to say, it made a big difference in their experience.

Reviewed November 7, 2013

The coolest thing about this park is that you get to be with dolphins in the Caribbean Sea, the least coolest is the dolphin enclosures are so small that guests and dolphins seem to be right on top of one another. My aunt, mother and I went to this park and paid for a 3 activity package, however we didn't get to decide what 3 activities we wanted to do with the dolphin the trainer did, so it made the adventure less fun. Additionally, because we were in a group of 12 people the interactions with the dolphin seemed rushed, so it made it even less enjoyable. This is quite a busy park because Cancun is close by so tour boats are constantly dropping off participants at the dock. With that being said you may be in the water for a total of 20-60minutes depending on your group size and only interacting with the dolphins personally maybe 5minutes or less.

The photo and video packages aren't worth the cost, however observers aren't allowed anywhere near the dolphin area. The visibility for them is limited so forget bringing an observer with a camera for your own photos so you kind of have to buy their media packages if you want any memorabilia from the park. I would recommend this park as a last resort if you really wanted to see dolphins and didn't want to spend the cab fair to travel further down the Rivera Maya to a better park.

2  Thank rachaellyn3
Reviewed November 3, 2013

Was a great experience! Did the encounter which means some activities with the dolphins and of course touching and kissing them as well as learning from the trainers. I wish I could have had the opportunity to just have a "private" encounter with them and have it be more "open" and flexible with what you do with the dolphins. Still a great experience, wonderful that they are well regarded in their field and was a bucket list item for me. The only thing that keeps them from being 5 stars is they don't allow you to bring your own camera (which is MADDENING) and they have "in-house" photographers that take your picture and then if you want a picture you must pay almost $35 US per each pose you want. Now I told myself that the cost of everything from the encounter to the photos is so high because they use all that money to take care of the animals but the reality is probably much different. It is also VERY expensive to do any of the "encounters" with the animals. I lucked out and got a two-for-one deal before I travelled which meant my best friend and I did it together for the price of one. But if I had to pay the $90 US for the "basic encounter" I would have been pis*ed with the activity. It is too staged and I would prefer to spend more money to have more "free" time and less people in the group.

Actually if I was to go back I would pay the most and go for the package called Sea Life Discovery Plus because you get the "full package" with the dolphins and then you also get one-on-one time with manatees and sea lions plus snorkelling with the stingrays and sharks. I saw the manatee/sea lion portion and it was only two women plus two trainers and the animals. Now THAT was worth the money alone. I'd like a program that includes everything in this package but it is limited to ONLY TWO PEOPLE plus the applicable animals and trainers. And also would like to see the packages be even more flexible as I paid for a lot of stuff that I didn't need/want/get like free non-alcoholic beverages, food etc and some of the most expensive packages also include transportation to and from the island which is a rip-off for people already staying on the island. Oh yeah and two thumbs down for the staff for the most part. No one tells you or "reminds" you of the free food/drinks you paid for, of course they try to r*pe you for the cost of the photos, and most don't speak english except for the actual trainers.

2  Thank Julie B