“Oh My! A hole in the wall locally owned tacoria.”
Review of El Cachirul

El Cachirul
Ranked #120 of 202 Restaurants in Isla Mujeres
Cuisines: Mexican, Latin, Spanish
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
“Oh My! A hole in the wall locally owned tacoria.”
Reviewed July 9, 2014

We were brought to this undiscovered jewel by friends who had lived in the island for a couple years. The staff speaks almost no English. But are very patient and helpful when ordering. As many times as we have been there we see few tourists. But a favorite for expats living on the island. You can get beef, chicken, pork. with or without cheese. Corn or flour tortillas once they bring your tacos they have a shelf full of goodies to dress your taco to taste. Including my favorite a cactus medley cooked with onions, pica de gallo, a guacamale sauce, Beware the Habenero sauce,Hot Hot Hot! sliced radish, rice and the best barracho beans and more. They also serve hamburgers and sandwiches They don't open till 6:30 pm and are open till the wee hours of the morning. We go almost every Tuesday we call it Taco Tuesday and bring as many of our sailor friends as we can gather and most look forward to the following week. None have ever complained once. If you want alcohol with your meal stop at the little store on the corner for some cervezas. Or the Super express grocery for a bottle of wine.

• Visited July 2014

Scottsdale, Arizona
“Simple Deliciousness”
Reviewed April 13, 2014

The menu is straightforward. Pick your meat, and pick whether you want it on a flour or corn tortilla. When it's ready, head over to the salsa bar for self-serve condiments. The meats were all delicious, and we didn't have to wait long for the food. They have a decent beverage selection, but do not serve alcohol. We had a fun time walking to find the place. We just headed towards Salinas Grande from the Caribbean side of the island. It is really close to the big playground by Salinas Grande. There appears to be a big covered soccer field nearby that was holding a religious revival to mark the start of Semana Santa, or Holy Week. This place is affordable, and delicious.

Visited April 2014
Houston, Texas
“Unbelievable food and very cheap too!!!”
Reviewed March 12, 2014

In the Colonias/La Gloria. This was, by far, THE BEST meal I had on Isla during my week long trip. I could have eaten there every day. You order the tacos ala carte and they have a fresh buffet bar with salsas, pico de gallo, napolitos, cucumbers, radishes, rice, and beans (I might be forgetting something) which you add to your plate. I think the tacos pastor are only about $1 - 1.25 US each and the chicken are $1.25-1.50 each. I had 2 pastor and 1 chicken and it was all YUMMY! So cheap and so very good - just what Mexican food on Isla should be. (It would still be that yummy in Texas at 3 times the price!) They have bottled water and sodas but don't serve alcohol. There is a place just down the street so you can BYOB. There is no atmosphere to speak of and it's small so it can get a little noisy. But it's clean, and the service was certainly better and done with a smile, which is more than I can say about service at a few other places that week. They don't have outdoor seating but it's open air with ceiling fans so it's plenty comfortable in the evening. It was so good, I was telling people about it all week long!

• Visited March 2014
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Best tacos al pastor ever!!!”
Reviewed March 12, 2014

If you have a chance go hear in the evening after 8pm for the best tacos al pastor on earth. Though there are many tocorias on the island, nobody else is even close to these guys. it's worth the 25 peso cab ride.

• Visited January 2014
Winnipeg, Canada
“Best Taqueria on the island!”
Reviewed February 5, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I have been travelling to Isla for the last 9 years. We first heard about this place known as Taco Baseball as it was located under the baseball bleachers in the centre of town. Returning one year we found out that they had closed but after some investigation, we found their new location in La Gloria. This is by far the best Taqueria on Isla. Great food included Queso Fundido (a bowl of melted cheese served with fresh tortillas), tacos ( my favorite is the arrachera) and tortas (sandwiches). You will not leave feeling hungry as they have an amazing condiment bar with fresh salsas, cucumbers, nopales (cactus), beans and rice. They do not serve alcohol but you can buy your own beer just up the street. I recommend you order the liquados which is a combination of fresh fruit, milk and ice blended together like a milkshake. Prices are cheap with a meal for two usually under $12.00. Go there you will not be disappointed. They are open 7 PM until midnight and you can also do take out.

Visited December 2013