“These guys are awesome!!!”

On Isla Mujeres Water Tours
Ranked #2 of 49 Tours in Isla Mujeres
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: On Isla Mujeres is a family water tour business specializing in Whale Shark Tours, Sport Fishing, Reef Snorkeling, and Custom Island Adventure Tours. Founded in 2005, our vessels are large, comfortable, and safe -- featuring extremely experienced captains (most lifelong residents of Isla Mujeres), plenty of shade or sun, cushioned seating, various beverages and snacks, as well as a clean bathroom on board. Our premiere values are safety, comfort, fun and the preservation of our local wildlife. We have top notch excursion guides, navigational equipment, marine radio and other safety features. On Isla Mujeres provides all safety vests, snorkeling gear and fishing gear-bait for your chosen Isla Mujeres adventure excursion. Wet suits are also available for a small fee. We are ranked second on TripAdvisor Isla Mujeres Tours for a reason! Join us for your upcoming Isla Mujeres ocean excursion for an unforgettable day on the incredible Mexican Caribbean.
Reviewed March 11, 2018 via mobile

Going on this water tour was the highlight of my trip. We went snorkeling and fishing. The crew members were absolutely amazing. They spoiled us rotten, and were so much fun. While one took us snorkeling, the others went spear fishing, then prepared fresh ceviche for lunch! They just took such good care of us! I can’t wait to go back and do this again!!!

All reviews
"life jackets"
in 8 reviews
"mac and cheese"

Reviewed March 10, 2018

A fabulous, fun adventure and experience! Friends booked a Custom Tour with On Isla Mujeres Water Tours. We were accompanied by owner Dianne La Fon, a licensed captain and a full crew. Everyone had a thorough knowledge of the region, snorkeling locations, conditions of the reefs, type of type of fish and much more, it was very impressive. The crew were extremely polite, attentive and seemed to anticipate our every need.

We were a mixed group of swimming strengths with me being the most tentative. With plenty of reassurances including that the “whole crew would rescue me” if anything should happen I finally happily entered the water with our guides and my friends. Every moment whether in the water or aboard Anastacia II I felt safe and was made to feel comfortable and at ease. I love boating but it had been several years, so the skilled and professional crew made a difference. And a little humour goes a long way too! We had a lot of laughs throughout the tour all the while learning so much about Isla Mujeres and the region. The views were extraordinary from the water!

The fishing was a tremendous experience and we were all encouraged to participate. My friends enjoyed the snorkeling near Contoy, and I loved the swimming er, floating and relaxing in the water.

Anchoring near Playa Norte was another highlight of the trip with a lively game of water football with everyone participating. This was followed by some good eats including a couple of homemade guacamoles, ceviche from fresh fish catches on our tour and more. It was an absolutely perfect boat tour. Thank you so much for a spectacular day Dianne, Adam and crew!

2  Thank Kelley G
Reviewed November 26, 2017

SInce there were 27 of us, we paid $30 each to have a private boat take us to the island. They gave us a tour around the island and were great getting us back to the resort on time.

Reviewed September 10, 2017

The tour:
Worth every penny! There were several whale sharks that we saw while out on the boat, and you were able to get so close. The picture I posted does not do it justice. Definitely take a sea sickness pill before going on the boat. You go pretty far out into the Caribbean Sea, and while you're diving, you're just bobbing around. The day we went was "calm," but I still felt a little uneasy.

I will say the second snorkel location was not very impressive. There wasn't much coral to look at, and I would have rather spent more time at the 3rd location, Playa Norte. This was where we just chilled on the boat by the shore, ate ceviche, and drank beer while floating in the crystal blue water. Besides the whale sharks, this was the best part.

The people:
Manny and Omar were our deckhands, and they were so funny! Omar was the one who was diving with us, and he made me feel very comfortable. For my first dive, he held onto my life jacket, which I appreciated. He got you very close, but pulled me away just as I got too close (Confession: I was a bit scared at first. They look a lot more shark versus whale.) After that, I was able to swim without him holding onto me.

The food:
Manny and Omar were also great cooks! The ceviche they made was better than the ceviche I had at a fancy resort restaurant earlier that week. They also make it while the boat is en route to your second snorkel location. The breakfast they promise you is meh (yogurt, granola, coffee), so don't expect a breakfast buffet. Also, you get your basic turkey and cheese sandwich for lunch, but it's really all your stomach can handle while being on a rocking boat. Lastly, free beer (enough said).

1  Thank nprads
See more reviews
Reviewed August 28, 2017

During my trip to Cancun, I decided to book two whale shark excursions with two different operators out of Isla Mujeres. Both were excellent and I would highly recommend both. Please see my other review if you want to know about that experience. The week I was in Cancun, the forecast showed thunderstorms all week. My original trip with this operator was cancelled due to weather but I was contacted by Andre and rescheduled for the next day even though thunderstorms were forecasted (the weather was forecasted to be generally crappy with thunderstorms all week) Since I was coming from Cancun, Dianne was very helpful in keeping me informed about the potential port closure. On arrival to Oscars, I was offered a light breakfast....Coffee, juice, granola, yogurt, pastry. Andre gave me and the other 9 passengers the "shpeel" about what to expect out on the water. He informed us that due to the storms, we would have a difficult time finding any whale sharks. He even said there was a good possibility of not seeing any. He fitted everyone with wetsuits that wanted one and provided life jackets for those that didnt. Life jackets make it more difficult to keep up with the whale sharks so unless you are a weak swimmer opt for the wetsuits. They also provided snorkel gear and fins for everyone. The boat was great. Bigger and provided much better protection from the weather than the other operator. Good thing cuz we ran into a storm and kept dry even with the wind and rain. We did see several bolts of lightening off in the distance throughout our trip. It did cause most of us some anxiety being out on open water. Three passengers got sick within an hour of the tour. All three took dramamine ahead of time. I and two other passengers had the scopalamine patch and had no issues at all...and it was a really rough trip. About 2 1/2 hours looking for whale sharks we FINALLY found them. Since we left the marina just before 9:00am, it was around 11:30 when we arrived and most boats were already gone. We had heard over the radio there were 7 whale sharks in the area. Our captain was great and found us about 15. They let us in the water in pairs with Manny, our guide. My advice is when they say to get in the water, GET IN QUICK! The whale shark moves quickly and you may miss out on seeing it. Once in the water, follow the guide. He will get you in the best position to see the whale shark. Depending on the whale shark, your turn may last 2 minutes or 15. Most our turns lasted about 5 minutes or less. The captain had to spend alot of time looking for the sharks and getting the boat in position. The ocean was rough, very low visibility and the whale sharks spent alot of time under the surface swimming several feet below us. It was still a huge thrill to see them! Everyone got the opportunity to get in the water three times. I was hoping for more since half the passengers used only 1 or 2 of their turns. When I asked if I could get in the water one more time, I was sternly told by the captain that three times was the rule, no exceptions. Even with the sketchy weather, rough seas and just a few whale sharks, most of the passengers were very happy with their experience. After the whale sharks, we traveled an hour to the reef where we had the opportunity to snorkel and enjoy the freshly made ceviche. An assortment of beverages, ham sandwiches, cookies, fresh pineapple were also offered. We did not stop at Playa Norte beach to everyone's disappointment. We didnt get an explanation as to why but my guess it was because we were late getting back to Isla Mujeres. We were originally told we would be able to end our trip at Playa Norte as it was very close to the hotels and the ferry. I rated this tour a 4 because I felt Andre should have been up front about the effects of the weather on the whale shark activity when he contacted me to reschedule the tour...I would have appreciated that information prior to deciding whether to cancel or reschedule. Other than that, these guys run an excellent tour.

1  Thank linda b