“Best experience ever! Thank you!!!”

On Isla Mujeres Water Tours
Ranked #2 of 49 Tours in Isla Mujeres
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: On Isla Mujeres is a family water tour business specializing in Whale Shark Tours, Sport Fishing, Reef Snorkeling, and Custom Island Adventure Tours. Founded in 2005, our vessels are large, comfortable, and safe -- featuring extremely experienced captains (most lifelong residents of Isla Mujeres), plenty of shade or sun, cushioned seating, various beverages and snacks, as well as a clean bathroom on board. Our premiere values are safety, comfort, fun and the preservation of our local wildlife. We have top notch excursion guides, navigational equipment, marine radio and other safety features. On Isla Mujeres provides all safety vests, snorkeling gear and fishing gear-bait for your chosen Isla Mujeres adventure excursion. Wet suits are also available for a small fee. We are ranked second on TripAdvisor Isla Mujeres Tours for a reason! Join us for your upcoming Isla Mujeres ocean excursion for an unforgettable day on the incredible Mexican Caribbean.
Reviewed July 11, 2017

This was such an amazing experience today!
Archie and his crew are consistent professionals. There were 2 families and 8 people on the boat which was perfect. We all met up at the restaurant and were provided a nice breakfast, then loaded onto their nice, bigger, clean boat. We are a family that snorkels quite a bit, but we went with the life vests anyways. In no way did it change the experience. They do have suits for $10.00 though, if you prefer. We then set out for the whale sharks. It only took about an hour today to get there and upon arrival there were so many boats. Once again, our professionals did not let that deter any of the experience. They have a digital fish locator and quickly found their own spot, got us ready and my son and I jumped in. Once you find the sharks, e ready because it moves at a fast pace. You get plenty of time, but you are so excited that everything just seems to move faster. Watching the sharks above in the boat is very exciting, too, while you are letting other swim. We brought our IPhone to take pictures and video. The diver with us was wonderful. It was his first day with the actual whale shark tour and you would have been thinking he had done this for 20 years. Our gentleman who gave us all the directions before we jumped in was so helpful and spoke perfect English. They help you in and out of the water and time the changes of people perfectly. No issues at all with timing and sharing the boat. I was super impressed with the driver, that is an underrated position. He found the sharks the entire time and moved us around as the sharks moved. He located and pointed and reminded you to "look down." Truly professional the entire time and so impressive. I honestly feel like we saw at least twenty or more whale sharks....my son thought it was closer to thirty. There were so so many and we saw and swam with tons of them. They are huge and at tims seem to follow you with their head and big open mputh.....what a show that is. Lol. Now, three of the other family on our boat got sick after their first dive, so we got to dive many extra times. I think I went five or six times. It was plenty for sure. They helped the sick members and still took care of the rest of us. They had addressed the sick plan ahead of time, we keep swimming regardless of someone getting sick. So if you are queezy take precautions. If you don't get sick, you may get a lot of extra swim time, which was nice.

Upon completion, we set off for Isla and passed several dolphins, with Archie turning the boat around to follow them. Everyone was so excited, including the guides. It was beautiful. We saw some turtles along the way, also and then we we stopped to dive through the ocean coral side of Isla, which was really nice and calming.

Upon arrival to North beach, we were given wonderful homemade Ceviche and it tasted so good. My son and I dove off the back of the boat and swam back to our condo while my husband returned and brought the golf cart home. Very very cool for my son to hang out on the boat and then swim home. He just loved that.

I must mention that there was a lot of food and drinks provided along the way. Ham sandwiches, sodas, water and drinks following the dives and that was all before lunch. Very tasty.

We have climbed the waterfalls, swam with dolphins, stingrays and lots of snorkeling with fish and other beautiful creatures. This is our second time back to Isla and we came for the Whale sharks. We loved it and was what my son claimed to be his best adventure yet. It was an amazing day from early morning to around two p.m. I highly reccomend this company. We booked about six months prior to confirm our spot and date. I suggest you do the same because once the secret is out, they will book immediately. Thank you guys!!! We will be back!
Worth every penny to get here and then swim with the sharks!
No worries with these guys!
the Roots from Kentucky

"life jackets"
in 8 reviews
"mac and cheese"

Reviewed July 6, 2017 via mobile

My partner and I booked the tour very far in advance and we had absolutely no issues with the booking when we arrived at the dock behind Oscars Grill. We were greeted with drinks/coffee and some pastries, apples, yoghurt and granola for breakfast. We got a wetsuit for $10 USD which I would highly recommend. The boat was excellent- clean, tidy and well equipped with good quality gear. Lots of shade too which is a must!
We spent about an hour and a half getting to and from the area where the whale sharks are so if you get sea sick make sure you have reliable medication. Water and soda provided and beers after. The boat went to an area on the outskirts of where all the other boats were and there was only 4 people in our boat so we got in the water a lot. Time in the water was great and there were so many whale sharks. We had an amazing time and would definitely go back with them admin. 10/10 ! Bring a go pro or underwater camera so you can show all your friends!

Reviewed June 29, 2017

We (two adults and kids aged 13 and 10) booked with On Isla Mujeres Water Tours to go snorkelling with whale sharks in early June 2017, and were a bit concerned that we would be too early in the season. We were also wondering whether it would be worth the substantial USD125 per person (which is a standard Government-imposed fee that applies to all operators).
We shouldn't have been worried on either count. We have been lucky enough to have done many wildlife tours over the years, and this would rank as one of the most professional and enjoyable we've ever done.
From the moment you arrive at the quay behind Oscar's Grill (a 5 minute taxi ride from the ferry port on Isla Mujeres), you know that you're in good hands. They provide a simple 'help yourself' breakfast whilst they are getting ready, and brief you on safety issues (you are required to wear a life vest, both on the boat and when you're snorkelling). Hire of snorkelling kit is included, although we didn't use this, as we travel with our own. On the day we went, we were the only people on the boat, although it can take a maximum of about 10 people.
Unlike other operators who hare out to find the whale sharks, Archie and his delightful team are more laid back, and are happy to stop en route if you come across anything interesting - in our case, we stopped to snorkel with a manta ray. They also run fishing lines behind the boat, which provides added excitement if they catch anything (we were out of luck on our trip).
Once you reach the whale sharks (a group of about four in our case), the rules require that only two people plus their guide are in the water at any one time. When it's your turn, the captain manoeuvres so that you enter the water a bit in front of the shark, so that you hopefully see the creature from snout to tail as it glides past. And what a glorious, awe inspiring experience that is!
In all, we snorkelled three times with the sharks. Because they're so big, they move quite fast, so if you're struggling to keep up, the guide takes you by the back of your life jacket and propels you along, which is useful for kids and people who aren't very strong swimmers. And you get SO close - at one point, the shark turned slightly and I thought that I was going to be bashed by its massive tail (although being sharks, their highly developed sensory system means that they know exactly what's around them, so this wouldn't happen).
If I ever doubted that this day would be value for money, the beam on my son's face as he clambered out of the water after his first encounter said it all. "That was the best experience of my life, Mum", he gasped ... he's 10!
On a practical note, bring your underwater camera or GoPro, and try and make sure that you've practiced a bit before you take the trip. The encounters are quite brief and adrenalin-filled, so the last thing you need is to be fiddling with an unfamiliar bit of equipment.
Unlike most of the other operators, this group stop at a reef just north of Isla Mujeres on the way back to allow you to snorkel for about 30 minutes. The condition of the coral here is better than we saw anywhere else in the area (including the highly rated island of Contoy), and there's lots to see. The current was quite strong the day we visited, but as our guide was in the water with us, we felt completely safe.
At the end of the trip, all the operators moor off North Beach, which is very picturesque and has quite a party vibe after the Big Adventure. As a perfect end to a perfect trip, the crew prepare fresh ceviche for you, which is served with tortilla chips and washed down with unlimited amounts of beer, cool drinks and water.
Why should you use this company, as opposed to the many other competitors? Well, quite simply, they are consummate professionals, and I can't think of a single way that they could have improved the trip.
Secondly, their boat is bigger than most of the others. Although this means they're a bit slower, it also makes the journey more comfortable, as there's shade from the sun/shelter from rain or wind, and an onboard toilet.
Lastly because their communication - both on the boat, and, equally importantly, before the trip is exemplary. These tours can only take place under certain weather conditions, and we were unable to go out on the day that we originally planned, as the sea was too rough (for this reason, they suggest that you book for as early in your trip as possible so that if it needs to be rescheduled, you still have time). When it became apparent the day before that the weather was going to be bad, they contacted us by e-mail and SMS, and gave us an indication on when the conditions were likely to improve (in our case, Thursday as opposed to Monday). If this had not been possible, then a full refund would have been made.
Simply fantastic!

Reviewed June 7, 2017 via mobile

These guys are literally the best!! From the moment we met them they were super friendly and welcoming. Water, beer, coke , ham and cheese sandwiches offered throughout the activity for free. Their ceviche was the best we had on the island made fresh on the boat. They gave us Loads of time with the whales and even saw sting rays, turtles , flying fish and dolphins. Their boat had plenty of shade from the sun and even a rest room !!! The three crew members always had a smile on their face and made you feel like family! Thanks guys!!