“Great place in the middle of town” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Las Palmas

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Isla Mujeres
Hotel Las Palmas
Ranked #11 of 38 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
Philadelphia
“Great place in the middle of town”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2009

Las Palmas is a really cute, cozy place and was perfect for our vacation. It's about a block from the beach and close to a lot of great restaurants. Rooms are on the small side, but air conditioning works perfectly, beds are super comfortable, there's hot water in the shower, and the roof, with dipping pool and hammocks, is a great place to hang out. The owners were away while we were there, but the people taking care of the hotel were wonderful.

Some tips and recommendations for the hotel and Isla:
*Don't leave food out in the rooms. It'll get stale immediately, and a trail of tiny little ants will find it.
*Don't leave your things unattended on the beach in Isla. It really might get taken (ours did). Otherwise, though, we felt completely safe the whole time.
*Get the chocolate cake at Mogagua, a great lounge-y bar near the dock. Amazing.
*Rolandi's is fine, but there is an even better Italian restaurant closer to Las Palmas. There's a picture of Italy on the board that's always in front of the entrance.
*If someone offers you a free day at the Avalon, it's worth sitting through the time share presentation for it. For about 3 hours of our time, we got day passes which got us access to their really nice pool, 3 free meals, and unlimited free drinks from 9-5, plus we got a free golf cart rental for a day.
*There's wi-fi at Las Palmas that works great in the lobby, but doesn't work in the rooms.
*Water is available all the time in the lobby, so it's helpful to bring a reusable bottle so you can take it with you.
*This is a small hotel, and you will definitely interact with the other guests, especially on the roof - it was a plus for us, but it's good to know if you're looking for total privacy.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank PhillyCoupleTravels

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2009

We all loved it, the only way for it to be any better was if it were on the beach. But from here it is a short walk to Hidalgo Street, just around the corner, and to any of the North beaches, just a couple of blocks! The little pool on the roof was a must. You get back all salty from swimming and sweating, take an outdoor shower to get the sand off when you walk in the front gate, then grab water, beer, etc, and head for the roof to get in the pool for awhile and socialize. This place makes all the guests feel like family with the courtyard and roof. The pics on their site don't show some of the recent improvements like some shade on the roof and hammocks and more loungers. Very pretty place and the young couple who were running it while the owners were away were friendly and helpfull and kept a watch on everything. Extremely well kept and clean, but like all hotels, our bed was pretty hard.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank SnorkelingFamily
Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2009

My husband and I stayed here in Feb. for 5 nights. We were pleasantly surprised by the wonderful pillowtop mattress, a real find in MX. The rooms are basic but clean and the owners are planning to add things as money permits. The bonus is the rooftop! Nicely done, lots of plants, dipping pool, table, chairs, hammocks. Did my pilates up there in the morning and had friends over for drinks at sunset. Wonderful spot. As they add use of frig and microwave in their kitchen it will be even more user friendly. Lots of gathering in the courtyard and had a very friendly atmosphere. Right across the street from the market so very handy and short walk to North Beach or the busy street of Hildago.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank IslaJean
Maryland, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2009

I had stayed at Las Palmas several times in the past for its location, but it had been a while since I had both visited Mexico and finished up on Isla Mujeres . The pluses were to me that Las Palmas is just two blocks from Playa Norte and right across the street from the comedors, where one can get an inexpensive breakfast and lunch. It is also close to the post office, the market and a laundry.

Now it is owned by a mother/daughter team from Canada, and it has greatly improved under their aegis. For someone who wants a comfortable place and who doesn't care about television, this was great. Once I am done with getting to Maya ruins on any trio, I like to do what passes for relaxing for me and eat a lot of seafood.

It does look like Las Palmas is a work in progress and I look forward to the kitchen for guest use that is coming. I especially liked being able to inexpensively rent one of the hotel bikes and explore the island. It is also great that an early riser like myself can just turn on the coffee pot and not have to worry about finding an open coffee source. The next time I can tear myself away from visiting Guatemala, this will be where I finish up that trip.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank mayaphile
Karlsruhe
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2009

I've stayed for 10 nights in March in this Hotel and really liked it. The Hotel is quite small (12 Rooms or so?) on ground and first floor. The Rooms face a small courtyard with a lot of plants, chairs, tables (and hammocks).
On the roof top there are some additional chairs, hammocks and a small dipping pool.
I found the courtyard a great place to get in touch with the other guests over a morning coffee. There was no breakfast in the Hotel (except the mentioned coffee) but the next restaurant as well as a market was just across the street.
My room was basic with a queen bed, fan and aircon. The later one I didn't use much since it really cooled down the room. There was no TV in the room which was an advantage from my point of view - I didn't want one.
So if you are looking for a 5 star Resort or a Party Hotel that's not the place you should go. If you are looking for a clean, quite place with great hospitality then you're right.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2009

On our third trip to Isla Mujeres in 11 years, we were so happy to have learned about Las Palmas through Trip Advisor, and were completely satisfied with this friendly, bright, warm and comfortable hotel. We are a family of four - two adults & two older teenagers - who had room to put unpacked clothes on the hangers, on the shelf and in the hanging closet organizer. The suitcases fit under the shelf. (A place to hang towels in the bathroom will be helpful).
I wish I'd moved our towels off the outside railing before taking the video clip (posted here) - but you can still see how beautiful it all is.
My arthritic back has suffered from sleeping on old mattresses in other places, but there are new (firm) pillow-top beds and we all had great sleeps. The island downtown is a friendly place, we enjoy meeting people who live there, and Kate and Safari were really helpful when we had questions about anything!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
minneapolis, mn
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2009

I have been coming to Isla Mujeres for 10 years... and this hotel is the besy place for the money. I have stayed in All Inclusives and 5 star condos on the island costing $300 per night to small bed and breakfast smaller hotel type places. Las Palmas is wonderful ! It is inexpensive, CLEAN, cozy and comfortable. Location on the island is key.. and Las Palmas is located just 1 block off the North Beach and 1 block off the busy main street. Katie and Safari (the owners) treat you as if you've known them for years... and are very accomodating. I typically go to the market when I get there to get all my necessaties such as shampoo, conditioner, soap, room snacks...etc. so that I don't have to worry about all of this with my carry on luggage (i travel very light). I had forgotten a cooler, which they have to use.. and I forgot my beach towel, which they had extras to loan. Yes.. it is still partially under construction with things they want to improve or add... as it just opened after xmas holiday. And yes... like your own home, you would want to save $$$ - so do they. Turn off lights and AC when not there. Makes sense. This keeps costs down for all of us and saves the planet! I highly recommend this to anyone. I will be back!
tricia from MN - [--]