“Whimsical and relaxing!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Las Palmas

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Isla Mujeres
Hotel Las Palmas
Ranked #11 of 38 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
“Whimsical and relaxing!”
Reviewed April 3, 2013 via mobile

Wow, my friend and I stayed here a couple weeks ago and loved Hotel Las Palmas abd Isla Mujeres! Kate and Safari are the perfect hosts and this hotel is one of the prettiest places on the island! From the beautiful painted decor to the thoughtful touches in the rooms (hooks everywhere!) to the abundance of hammocks, Las Palmas was our perfect Island getaway. Everyone here was very sweet and I really liked how well the owners treated the local staff. The beds were a bit uncomfortable, but despite that, we would definitely stay here again!

Little tidbits:
-Cooking breakfast upstairs in the outdoor kitchen is a great way to start your day!
- same goes for morning yoga on the second floor wooden balcony - they even have mats you can borrow!
- try the freshly made juices at the market across the street!
-the supermarket at the end of hidalgo ave (the main road) allows you to take out pesos easily at the ATM. Unlike cancun, merchants here prefer pesos and you may find it a challenge to pay in, or get back US$. There is also an electronics store/bank(?) you can change money at for good rates.
-for a great breakfast and iced coffees, try mañana, rooster cafe, or barlitos! Note that they all close at 3pm, so get there early.
-for traditional food, most places are delicious! Honestly. We died and went to ceviche heaven.
- good live music in the evenings can be heard at tres menieres and la terraza
- for a fun day of adventures, check out Edventure tours. We did the Extreme tour and it was just fantastic! Highlight was definitely swimming in the cenotes and of course the slow roasted pork tacos. I wasn't too crazy about how Ed (the owner) treated his staff, though...a bit disrespectful.
- save yourself a ton of money by booking a shuttle from the airport to the ferry terminal, and back again. We used Best Day, it was only $17 each way for both of us together. FYI, they need a few days notice for bookings.

• Stayed March 2013
4 Thank WorldFoodTour

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Stevens Point, Wisconsin
Reviewed April 2, 2013

This is our fifth year we have stayed here and it always gets better. The people you meet here and the owners all add a great value to our stay on Isla. We enjoy the fact that we can get the latest updates on new businesses that have opened or new restaurants to try for the first time. Always accommodating and always super friendly. We will be back!

2 Thank Guy J
Tsawwassen, Canada
Reviewed March 28, 2013

My wife and I just returned from another visit to Isla and a stay in our favourite Hotel, Hotel Las Palmas. We feel safe there, we feel protected there and we trust everyone who works there. Kate and Safari have created and continue to craft a Hotel Experience unlike any other on Isla. It is their home and you are made to feel it is yours as well. They have created a safe, clean, friendly and interesting environment which enhances your stay on Isla. Everything you require is withing walking distance. The rooms are clean and comfortable with air conditioning, fans and fridges. The roof top deck is what makes the Hotel a charmer. There is a dipping pool, communal kitchen, hammocks, chairs and tables. This is where guests get to meet each other, swap tales enjoy a laugh, make new friends and meet up with old friends. We have stayed here four different times and will return again. It attracts a great mix of young and young at heart travelers who share a desire to avoid large resorts or sterile hotels. I highly recommend this hotel to fellow travelers who want an experience and not just a room.

3 Thank MALTESEPENQUIN
penticton bc
Reviewed March 28, 2013

From the front entrance to the top floor of this Hotel. You feel safe and relaxed. The front door is locked when the office is closed and only accessable with your door key. Each time a new arrival was expected the door was open and either Kate or Safari was there to welcome them. Once there, a tour was given showing all the ammenities. The rooms are comfortable and well organized. The beds are as soft as mine at home. There is plenty of storage for your unpacking needs. There is wifi for your electronic needs. There is a kitchen and dipping pool on the top floor with hammocks,tables, chairs and lounging areas. This is our third stay on isla and second stay at Las Palmas, my first stay was at the Avalon in the bungalows with and all inclusive. There the beds were hard and the food below my expectations. Are first stay at Las Palmas was just with my wife. A King size bed that was like heaven and ac the works excellent. The second time was with my wife and two kids 16 male and 12 female. We stayed for 7 nights and 8 days the local dining options were excellent within a five minute walk or the luncheria across the street. I was on a budget and had no problem keeping to it. We spent approx. 1200 pesos a day on drinks and meals for 4 which is approx. $100.00 usd. We used the kitchen twice for making a family dinner. Cooking chicken and pasta. Shopping at the local grocery store. The maids were pleasant and hard working. The rooms were always clean and tidy. I left tip money in the tip bowl that was on the night table on average 50 pesos, all other money and electronics were always left untouched.
I most definitely recommend this hotel to all travellers. This Hotel is a true gem a place I look foward to coming back to as often as I can.

2 Thank zakman19
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Hotel Las Palmas made my first trip to the Isla unforgettable. The location is perfect. It is a short walk to the beach, the main street and close to several excellent restaurants. Each floor has hammocks and places to hang out. The roof has both sun and shade, as well as a dipping pool and a communal kitchen equipped with anything you would need.

The Hotel felt like home especially because of the people there. I was traveling with my parents and my 8 month year old sister, so I spent a lot of time hanging out around the hotel on my own. Kate and Safari made it easy for me to feel at home. They know a lot about the island and can point you in the right direction for food, sighting seeing, swimming, and so on. As an 18 year old I enjoyed bonding and getting to know the many wonderful guests there. I didn't feel out of place in the slightest as far as age goes.

The maids were also very honest, helpful, and all around great people. I was able to speak spanish with them, however, language was no barrier. They created great relationships with several guests who couldn't speak a word of spanish. Many people kept their rooms unlocked and doors open because of the trust all of the staff deserve at the hotel.

2 Thank vileyrose
Vancouver
Reviewed March 27, 2013 via mobile

This is my fourth year here. I was lucky enough to have retired and was able to stay 4 months this year. I never lock my room. I leave my electronic items laying around. I leave my money in my knapsack. The 3 maids have returned all sorts of things to me that people have left laying around - including the rings left by the obviously careless guest. I have never had any of my unlocked up items taken over the 4 years I have been coming here. Enough on that! Check out all the other guests comments on the hotel. I am 60. I don't care what age other guests are. I recently went dancing at Poc-Na with a 17 year old who asked me to take her. With the parents permission, and instructions to have her home by 1 am, we had a great time dancing! Thank you Violet! I also met two Aussie ladies who were awesome - one in her 20s and one in her 30s - who i was lucky to spend some time with. Thanks Paola and Nellie! These were just the recent guests. There were many more. The point is, age should never matter. Attitude should. Thanks to all the other great people who I've met over the years, young and old, old friends and new, for being so kind to me over the last 4 months, and the previous 3 visits. Rhiannon, good luck with your incredible fight! You are an incredible lady and I love you my friend! Of course the owners, Kate and Safari, who were JUST owners, when I first came here 5 years ago, have become best friends and have treated myself, and all the other guests, with such kindness, patience and understanding. You are both incredible ladies who makes it look absolutely effortless running a successful hotel in Mexico! We all know how difficult that really is! I am a much richer person for the people young and old I have met here. That has absolutely nothing to do with money. Nothing taken, everything gained ........

Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank VancouverMadrat
Oliver BC
Reviewed March 27, 2013

We've stayed here three years in a row. We always feel safe in this hotel and we've never had our belongings tampered with. Kate and Safari are like family and Cachito likes to crash for a siesta on our bed. We enjoy staying in this type of hotel rather than an all inclusive because it allows us to take part in the local culture when we feel like it, cook our own meals when we feel like it, socialize with other guests when we feel like it and spend time alone--when we feel like it! The housekeeping staff is pleasant and does a thorough job on our rooms. They also spend a lot of time, throughout the day, cleaning the rest of the hotel. We really enjoy the dipping pool on the roof and the hammocks spread throughout the common areas of the hotel. We plan to return regularly to this property! People of all ages stay here--singles, retirees, families and couples. It's a nice mix of people and personalities.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple