“Wonderful Experience for Adults and Children”

Tortugranja (Turtle Farm)
Reviewed August 8, 2012

Very informative. These guys are doing a great job, especially with all of the obstacles they are faced with.

There are newer reviews for Tortugranja (Turtle Farm)

Reviewed August 8, 2012

The girls I was traveling with wanted to stop here, I really did enjoy this place but it was so hot inside. All the turtles were amazing, several different fish. If you have kids this is for sure the place to go, even for the big kids. Next trip I will take my husband there. Also they have a nice gift shop.

Reviewed August 6, 2012

Tortugranja was a fun and inexpensive activity to attend when visiting Isla Mujeres. It was $3 USD and we got to hold some really interesting sea creatures! They have tons of baby turtles and some very large ones as well. It is a cute little place to visit.

Reviewed August 6, 2012

I feel compelled to write a review for the Tortugranja. My friend and I heard from many islanders about the sea turtles during our stay on Isla Mujeres. We headed out one night in an attempt to see the turtles on the beach. We were apparently in the wrong location and did not see any turtles that night, so the following day we headed to the Turtle Farm not really knowing what to expect. This place is doing a great service. They charge approximately $3 (USD) to enter the sanctuary and you are introduced to turtles in various growth stages of life. Venture outside and you will see where the eggs are stored and venture inside and you will see turtles grouped by age, from babies to bigger babies, etc. in about six different phases of life. Outside you will even find a section with disabled turtles who appear to have been rescued.

We learned from locals on the island that at night sea turtles emerge from the ocean to lay their eggs on the beach. The eggs are a delicacy and many people were stealing the eggs. Now, the turtle farm rescues the eggs, and raises the turtles until they are old enough to be released back into the wild.

My friend and I were lucky enough on our last night on the island to stumble upon a group of locals who knew just where to be to watch the sea turtles come on the beach to lay their eggs. It was an impressive sight watching the massive sea turtle emerge from the ocean to lay her eggs. Once the turtle was safely back in the water workers from the farm were there to secure the eggs and take them to safety. The Turtle Farm has made the local population aware of the value of the turtles' lives. Do not miss learning about the sea turtles while on this wonderful island! If this place is getting negative reviews, it is simply because people do not understand the great effort that is being taken to help save the turtles. The $3 donation is nothing for all you are these people are doing for sea life and education on the island.

1  Thank carlo678
Reviewed August 6, 2012

Small but great little facility for hatching turtle eggs saved from beaches and rehabing wounded turtles.
Cheap and interesting.