“Simple and Pleasant” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 37 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
London, Canada
“Simple and Pleasant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

What a lovely find! I'd been to Isla Mujeres in January/February and decided to return within a month, but wanted to stay at a more affordable place for 2 weeks. Hotel Marcianito is central to all amenities. My room was clean and simple, complete with television w/ cable, overhead fan, and windows offering a cool cross-breeze. I loved my room because it was a corner room on the top 3rd floor. Prior to booking, I inquired about WiFi access and, alas, there is none. However, I was informed that I was welcome to use the free WiFi service as well as the common room at this hotel's "sister" hotel, Hotel Xbulu-Ha, just a block north around the corner. The manager, Gabriel, was most accommodating and answered all my questions via email and then in person when I was in Mexico. Booking online was smooth and efficient; I used PayPal. I also loved the fact that upon arrival I could pay the balance with a credit card.

What I did not know was that my hotel room did not have a fridge. My fault, for I shouldn't have assumed it would. Nonetheless, I fared very well. After all, with affordable food and drink prices, why have cold cervezas in the confines of a hotel room fridge when you can enjoy imbibing in an open-air restaurant or at the beach of this idyllic island paradise? :-)

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
6 Thank GypsyAG

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2012

This was my 5th time travelling to Isla Mujeres. Previously I have stayed at Nauti Beach Condos and The Francis Arlene. This time I was wanting to be a bit more budget conscious since I was not sharing a room with anyone I decided to try out Hotel Marcianito.

Travelling to the island for 8 days during high season over Christmas and New Years a single room only cost me just under $35 CAD. I had initially paid 1 night via Paypal to hold my reservation. Upon arrival I paid the remainder in peso. The front desk staff was very friendly and she spoke english well.

I was given the key to room #9 which was just up the stairs from the check in desk.
The room itself was very small but perfect for just one person. Had a double/full sized bed, side table, vanity dresser with big mirror, a tv, a closet in the corner and a small bathroom with shower, toilet and sink. The room had two big windows which let in a ton of light. There was no AC but the fan cooled down the room no problem. My only warning is watch out for the fan since it is quite low. I am 5'9" tall and when changing clothes i accidently put my hand into the fan blades by accident. It did not do damage other than a bit of a bruise on my knuckle, but still a bit worrysom. After that I made a point to change aweay from the fan.

The room was well cleaned everyday by a very sweet mexican lady. The room was not fancy
and could probably use a new coat of paint, but i never felt like it was dirty at any time during my trip. Daily tips left on my pillow for the house cleaner seemed to be well appreciated by the friendly staff.

The only downside of the hotel/room is that is is very noisy at night. Hidalgo is a very busy street with lots of music and laughter down below. I was able to fall asleep no problem without earpluggs but take in mind i have done a lot of backpacking where I was forced to sleep in hostel rooms with 10-15 people. I can pretty much sleep through anything. I actually found the hustle and bustle of the night time noise kind of pleasant....That being said...On New years Eve in the town plaze the party goes from 8pm-8am and the band plays allllll night. That night I did not get much sleep because it was just non stop all night. What did help was turning the ceiling fan on HIGH and the sound drowed out a bit of the party in the plaza, though in return i was completely freezing! lol

One big downside was the water pressure in my room. Very low and hard to get hot water at times but the "cold water" was warm enough that I was able to shower in it no problem.

The hotel location is AWESOME. Right between Hidalgo and Juarez. The beach is literally a 2 minute walk away. All the restaurants and shops are steps away. For the price, I dont think you can do much better! I stayed at the Frances Arlene and I found it quite far from everything. This hotel was half the price and right in the mix of things.

All in all, it is definitely a very budget hotel and the room is small and very basic. The hotel is not fancy and the rooms could use a coat of paint but I personally liked the rustic feel of it all. For $30 dollars a night I was more than pleased.

A little background about me as a traveller...I am a 25 year old canadian female and I have stayed in a very wide range of hotels. $2/night rat infested hotels in Kuala Lumpur and Thailand, low mid range rooms like Hotel Francis Arlene, beautiful pricey penthouse at Nauti Beach, amazing timeshare condos in the Royal Resorts in Cancun. If you are not sure about what to expect at Hotel Marcianito, take it from me who has seen hell and who has seen luxury. This little hotel on Isla is an amazing deal for money. It is a very basic place to lay your head but Isla Mujeres is so amazing that you barely spend any of your time in the room anyway.

Hope my review helped and that you enjoy your trip to the most beautiful place in the world!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
10 Thank Flipflopyyc
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2011

i stayed three nights and loved the norte beach. dont agree it was lovely. it can be noisy with the revellers below.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011

I stayed for two nights at Hotel Marcianito and was satisfied overall. The staff was friendly, it was in a good location, and I think it was good value for the money considering how touristy the island is, and the amount of higher-end hotel development in its surroundings. You'd have to go elsewhere and pay more if you need things like wifi and air conditioning. Since neither of these was important to me I enjoyed my stay. I did have a little trouble getting to sleep however, even with the windows closed and earplugs in. It's in a central location so I wasn't surprised that there were party commotion and bands playing loudly on the adjacent street late into the night, but keep that in mind if you prefer peace and quiet.

There's no breakfast included, but you should have no problem finding quality breakfast very close by to the hotel as early as 7:00 a.m.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank carryont
Paris, France
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2011

1. Cleanliness 9/10
2. Staff 7/10
3. Fun 4/10
4. Location 8/10
5. Facilities 4/10 (missing : breakfast, wifi, guest kitchen)

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jessykgerol
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2011

We stayed in a double room in this hotel- it was big, clean, with a nice clean ensuite and a fan (no air conditioning so it did get a bit hot but not too bad). The only thing is that they didn't serve breakfast- but we bought our own from a local shop which was very cheap so it wasn't a problem. The island is very small so there isn't really a 'bad' location but I thought this was well located- surrounded by little shops and restaurants, a two minute walk to the main strip of bars and about 10 minutes walk to the end of the amazing white sandy beach. Stay on this island for twice as long as you think you want to stay- it is so beautiful.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank louisewitham
Rome, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2011

I stayed one night in this hotel with my girlfriend in a private ensuite double room.
Great location, very clean with nice furniture and safe box. Comfy mattress (very important!), friendly staff. The only down side is that there is no air con, only a roof fan.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple