“We love Hotel Secreto”
Review of Hotel Secreto

Hotel Secreto
Ranked #9 of 37 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
Reviewed April 17, 2009

My husband and I just returned from our second visit to Hotel Secreto, and once again, we loved it.

It is so peaceful and chic. The rooms are beautiful and decorated in a modern style. Our favorite part is the feather bed on the indoor bed-I have to go buy one now! Also the outdoor bed was another favorite spot.

It was great to be able to dock our ipod and listen to our favorite music at the end of the day.

Must eat at "El Rincon de Los Sabores." Eladio had only opened two weeks prior to our visit. It is located on Hildago across the street from Aqua Adventure dive shop and the Remax office. The chef Eladio is a master. He ate there for lunch and dinner almost every day, he will even deliver to the hotel. Everything is made with love and attention, making it all the more delicious. Do not miss this spot.

Have desert at Cool gelato. Its across the street from El Rincon and is next to the Remax office. 'once again, we ate there everynight. Rosemarie helped us to create a new crepe sensation each night. once again don't miss it.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dmbfanNj
There are newer reviews for Hotel Secreto

Reviewed March 16, 2009

We spent 4 nights in a king 3rd floor room which was really great. The room is huge with excellent decor. The bed was clean and very comfortable with a plasma TV and DVD player on the opposite wall. The bathroom was clean and nice, but didn't quite match the decor of the room. The balcony was huge with a great view of the pool and ocean. The bed on the balcony was a great touch. We had breakfast on the balcony bed several times. There is no "Do not disturb" sign to hang on the door, but that's not an issue because it's such a small hotel the staff knows if you've left your room or not and waits until you're gone. This is representative of the excellent service we received. The continental breakfast was decent, but nothing to write home about. The coffee was pretty good though.

The pool is obviously beautiful and the lounge chairs are very comfortable. The water was too cold the first day, but was great the rest of the time since they turned the heater on. The only drawback was that the sun was blocked by trees or buildings at different times of day. Half of the lounge chairs on one side of the pool almost never see direct sunlight because they are shaded by overgrown trees. This really wasn't a problem though because there were never more than 6 people at the pool, so the sunny half was sufficient.

There is a stairway to the beach which has several loungers setup. The beach itself is very nice with sand that was really soft and cool to the touch. It gets a bit rough with shells more towards the water which is no good for swimming due to the rocks. I didn't mind because I wasn't interested in swimming in the ocean, and the rocks make for some great pictures. The hotel staff is still very attentive to guests at the beach. Also, swimming beaches are a 2 minute walk away at North Beach.

They have a bar at the hotel with a nice selection. Japanese style peanuts are served with your drinks which was nice. Drinks are more expensive than most of the rest of Isla Mujeres. Beers were $2.50 US and Daquiris and margaritas were $5.50 US. While not expensive compared to Chicago where I live, I bought a 6 pack of the same beers 100 yards down the road for about $3 US and then asked for an ice bucket by the pool. Also, the mixed drinks were very tasty but not very stiff at all. There is no restaurant in the hotel, but they make it easy to order delivery from several restaurants. At the same time, all of the downtown restaurants are within a 5 minute walk and my favorite little taco stand is about a minutes walk away.

We did yoga on the pool deck one morning by request at no charge. It was really nice to get a relaxing workout in right at the hotel. Also, the hotel rents a huge selection of DVDs for $3 US. The Wi-Fi was also great in our room and the hotel lobby, but got a little weak near the pool. Though, if you need Wi-Fi at the pool, it's no longer a vacation.

The construction next door has stopped due to bankruptcy, so there was no issue with noise. It is visible from the pool but is really not an issue.

The staff was well aware of the decline at the moment of the Mexican Peso. While they would accept pesos, they charged more for bar items if you wanted to pay in pesos. They also preferred to charge room rates in dollars. It's a good business move, so I don't blame them. However, it was a slight inconvenience.

In summary, this hotel is amazing. It was exactly what we were looking for. The price was reasonable, the hotel was clean and beautiful, the staff was attentive, and the overall vibe was peaceful and quiet. While I have a few very minor gripes discussed above, all together the made no difference in my enjoyment of the hotel.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank astrilt1
Reviewed March 14, 2009

This is a hide-away small, boutique hotel off the beaten path. Its really romantic and is perfect for honeymooners. We loved the fact that nobody really knows where it is thus hardly any tourists. The rooms are very, very nicely done. The beds are super comfortable but the bathrooms could use an update. They are just starting to look a little tired. The balconies with queen beds on them are really comfortable and again romantic. Its a very quiet place so napping in the afternoon while over looking the ocean is easily accomplished. If you are looking for a place that has great decor, wonderful service, comfortable beds and is not a chain than this is the place for you. There are no restaurants at the hotel but it didn't matter to us becuase food/entertainment is just down the street. The beaches in Isla are amazing as are the people. We'd definately go again.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank luckytravelbug
Reviewed March 9, 2009

My best friend and I needed time in the tropics and Hotel Secreto was the perfect escape. The rooms were nicely appointed (in what looked to be an extravaganza of West Elm) and have soft, comfortable beds. We loved Hotel Secreto for the polite staff, good service (for Mexico anyway, Tokyo this ain't) and the fact that the entire place only has twelve rooms. The small property was especially enjoyable as neither of us wanted crowds or lines or the like. Each room has a little patio area with a bed, which we used to take an afternoon nap in the ocean breezes. The pool — which is completely amazing — was never crowded and always had an open set of chairs for us to use for sunbathing. All in all, this place is great and the price is accommodating. Don't listen to people that show up at 11pm and are pissed the staff doesn't speak English, the hotel is in Mexico after all. Five stars.

Isla Mujeres is a nice departure from the craziness that is Cancun.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank acontinuouslean
Reviewed February 25, 2009

My husband and I went to Isla Mujeres a few years ago and stayed at Villa Rolandi. This time, my girlfriend and I stayed at Hotel Secreto and were thrilled with it. Very secluded, clean and relaxing. Perfect for couples of any age and groups of friends. Would not recommend for kids. Super comfortable and lush rooms. Brilliant horizon pool. Great location, you can walk downtown and have some delicious fresh fish. Keep in mind, the beach is right outside your door but it's so rough, you can't swim in it. Just have to walk a little ways to the swimming area. I will be back for sure!!!

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 3, 2009

My wife & I stay here around Thanksgiving each year (unless there is a hurricane blowing). We used to stay at Villa Rolandi's until they ruined it by adding more rooms...thus more people. We like quiet, solitary vacations after working hard all year. We discovered Secreto about 5 years ago and have always (with a few exceptions) enjoyed a relaxed and restful time together. I have read the other reviews and as I've said: this place isn't for everyone. It is very quiet, it does have a bar and seating area for socializing but most people who stay there don't really socialize and I don't think it's because they are snooty...it's just not a hopping, activity from sun-up til sundown kind of place. I've read complaints about the breakfast...its just a continental breakfast...but my wife and I enjoy getting up early, getting a tray with coffee, juice, cereal, fruit and toast and taking to our balcony to enjoy as we plan our day...which usually consists of reading by the pool, strolling the beach for shells and sea glass, feeding the resident iquana and having one the best Mojitos from the bar I've ever had. We sometimes have lunch brought to us by the pool. The swimming pool is nice...when the heater is working! The rest of the time it is downright glacial! We have mentioned this many times to the front desk guys and I think they enjoy watching us turn blue as we enter the pool. 2 years ago the heater was working but we cautiously entered it expecting to freeze our body parts off only to be pleasantly surprised...it was heavenly! And it stayed that way until the day before we left...I pranced out and dove right in only to have my heart stop as I realized it wasn'ted heated anymore! No big deal...it's Mexico with white powder soft beaches and azure blue water, mojitos and damn good quacamole. The staff are always friendly and helpful...they might not speak enough English but we are always understood. The huge balconies with queen size beds are reason enough to stay. As mentioned the view has been somewhat destroyed by the abandoned half finished hotel next door (a friendly, elderly man on the beach said "they" ran out of drug money to complete it)...I look straight ahead over and past the pool and palms to the stunning white beach and blue ocean and I have all the view I need. Another problem we encountered this last time we stayed was children! This is a quiet, romantic type hotel...there is nothing for little children to do here but be bored or disturb those guests looking for peace and relaxation. 2 families from Germany (3 children, 4 adults) took over two of the rooms letting out to the pool on the ground floor for a month! They strung lines across their patios with wet clothing, spoke to each other in loud booming voices while standing next to each other and totally ignoring the rest of us trying to read, rest, talk quietly to each other. I did something I usually never do...I complained to the management (and I don't think I was the only one). My wife, never one to keep her mouth shut kept asking them to quieten down but they ignored her acting like they didn't understand. They understood...they just didn't care.
When we get really tired of just reading and relaxing by the pool, the desk staff can have a golf cart delivered from town for 1/2 day or full day and we ride around the island stopping at the Super Mercado for snacks and bottled water, eat lunch out, occasionally dinner as well. There are a few places I really enjoy going to eat like Jax. You can stop on the other end of the island to beachcomb or visit the Turtle Farm (this used to be a really well kept, well run establishment...not so much anymore). Some people suggest Casa O's for an intimate evening dining experience for delectable lobster & steaks in a beautiful oceanfront setting perfect for sunsets. We found the place creepy, dark and ourselves the only guests the night we decided to visit. If you get there before dark you need a flashlight to get back to your golfcart. Geared up for a good steak and lobster we were shown a menu by a non-speaking waiter...they have a rather limited menu but all I saw was the steak & lobster. Of course there was no lobster...well I can live with that so I ordered my steak with a bowl of soupa de lima as an appetizer...which I guess no one has ever done before. They brought my soup out with my wife's entree' so she was through eating when they brought out the steak. The only guests other than our selves were the mosquitos. There were three waiters and a cook with nothing to do but stare at us while we ate. Oh well! It was great to get back to Secreto with the flat screen t.v. and dvd player...the comfortable furnishings...sitting out on the balcony and watching cruise ships coming and going to Cozumel with their lights twinkling out in the distance...the ocean breezes and sound of the ocean lulling us to sleep!

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
4  Thank mhitt
Reviewed January 8, 2009

Can't say enough good things about this place. From the outdoor beds on the balcony, to the great staff, to amazing location on the island, Hotel Secreto is the best. A few things that stood out. They welcomed us with a mimosa because they knew it was our honeymoon. The staff would do anything we asked of them. They even arranged for a rental car for us in Cancun, and got the rental car company (Budget Rental Car) to pick us up at the ferry when we returned to the mainland. The pool at this place isn't heated, but it's just as beautiful as it looks in the pictures. The beach in front of the hotel is gorgeous, but a little too rocky for swimming. But if you do want to swim, just walk a block or two north and your at the perfect swimming beaches (I'm talking 5 minute or less away on foot). The one thing I would be aware of is DO NOT USE THE DIVE SHOP AROUND THE CORNER CALLED SEA HAWK. THEY SUCK!!! They took us on a terrible snorkeling trip and I had fight tooth and nail to get a refund for us and the other snorkelers. But all in all, Secreto is the best on the island and if you're looking for a romantic getaway, this is the place to do it. One more thing though, don't look for friendly guests. This place seems to attract some uptight people, just be forewarned.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple