“Simply Amazing”
Review of Hotel Secreto

Hotel Secreto
Ranked #9 of 37 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
Reviewed January 8, 2009

Can't say enough good things about this place. From the outdoor beds on the balcony, to the great staff, to amazing location on the island, Hotel Secreto is the best. A few things that stood out. They welcomed us with a mimosa because they knew it was our honeymoon. The staff would do anything we asked of them. They even arranged for a rental car for us in Cancun, and got the rental car company (Budget Rental Car) to pick us up at the ferry when we returned to the mainland. The pool at this place isn't heated, but it's just as beautiful as it looks in the pictures. The beach in front of the hotel is gorgeous, but a little too rocky for swimming. But if you do want to swim, just walk a block or two north and your at the perfect swimming beaches (I'm talking 5 minute or less away on foot). The one thing I would be aware of is DO NOT USE THE DIVE SHOP AROUND THE CORNER CALLED SEA HAWK. THEY SUCK!!! They took us on a terrible snorkeling trip and I had fight tooth and nail to get a refund for us and the other snorkelers. But all in all, Secreto is the best on the island and if you're looking for a romantic getaway, this is the place to do it. One more thing though, don't look for friendly guests. This place seems to attract some uptight people, just be forewarned.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jmiertschin

Reviewed December 8, 2008

Given all of the reviews of this hotel and it's stylish website, I was expecting a very special experience. What we got upon arrival at 11pm after a full day travelling was the worst 'welcome' to a hotel ever experienced. The maintenance guy in reception (busy covering up the furniture with dustsheets) spoke no english, could not tell us if we were in the right hotel but simply grabbed our cases, marched up the utalitarian staircase, dumped the cases in the room (which was beautiful by the way), threw the key on the bed and left us! Come the morning, no welcome phone call. Decided to go for breakfast and discuss! Breakfast is very basic and there is no-where to eat it, you have to take back to your room or go to the pool area with tray. Still no welcome (in fact, no-one had even asked our names). Needless to say, we found another great hotel and checked out after only one night. It's a shame as the rooms are stylish (bathrooms small and shabby though) and the pool looks pretty but does not get alot of sun. No bar area so not condusive to socialising. Building works next door had stopped so no noise, but they are high and large, so spoil any view. I would only stay here if you have never stayed in a boutique or 4/5* before, don't mind the location/views and no facilities.

Stayed: November 2008, traveled with family
4  Thank TracyACheshire
Reviewed October 22, 2008

We just finished our second stay at Hotel Secreto and it was just as wonderful as our first,although we did miss the ice-cold hand towels that were available upon check in on our last trip, however the Mimosas were still just as tasty. The rooms are always clean and are very spacious with a large deck and bed on the porch overlooking the Infinity pool which itself overlooks the Caribbean Sea. The large porches provide a respite from the sun in the privacy of your own room and also catch a nice cooling seabreeze. I have yet to experience a room without a great view! On our arrival, the wine and flowers we ordered were beautifully arranged, the wine nicely chilled and the flowers were nothing less than outstanding! We were sorry we had to leave them behind! The recent renovations added very nicely to the Hotel's charm and only made it more appealing! The Hotel staff as always is capable,efficient,friendly and helpful. We received many fine tips on where to dine and the best tour providers to use. We also rented a golf cart which was also ready upon our arrival at a very reasonable price. Our host and hotel owner Scott Boyan runs a fine honest establishment and provides outstanding service at a fair price with high attention paid to customer service! It is a refreshing change these days to actually be treated as a "Guest" of the owner's and not simply as just another paying customer. The hotel truely has its guest's best interests at heart! I will continue patronising Hotel Secreto every time I visit Isla Mujeres. The staff and owner have developed a partnership and investment in the hotel which will never fail to bring back my business! I travel for a living and sadly a disappointing stay has more become the rule and not the exception. I highly recommend Hotel Secreto for a high quality,customer service oriented hotel and a relaxing environment as well.. Very much a hidden gem on Isla Mujeres!

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank BobY1
Reviewed October 19, 2008

This hotel sort of reminded me of the Bed & Breakfast version of a "W" hotel. The staff was excellent, the whole place is white and the music reminds me of a martini lounge in NYC. The margaritas are made from fresh squeezed lime juice and they are beyond delicious. The bed was as comfortable as you'd find at a high-end hotel anywhere in the world and the outdoor patio with the queen sized cushion was awesome for a sunrise breakfast outside. This hotel is just a 5-10minute walk to the heart of Isla Mujeras, so it's close enough to the action, but far enough that you don't hear it. I have already recommended this place to friends and strangers alike. I think it's perfect for young couples or a small group of couples traveling together. Young singles would enjoy the place, but there's not much action, so they might get a little bored. I wouldn't put this as my first choice for a family visit unless the kids are pretty well-behaived. This is a quiet hotel with a quiet beach. Not a lot for kids to do. Oh and they have DVD players in the room, so I would recommend bringing a DVD or two for a quiet evening in the room. The last point I will make is that we stayed at this hotel during Tropical Storm Dolly and I still have all these nice things to say. :)

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CaliItalians
Reviewed October 14, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the hotel for a few nights in October. The hospitality there is wonderful ~ you are greeted with a "Welcome Drink", and the view from the room is magnificent! We stayed on the 3rd floor ~ I would ask for a room above the first floor, as there is not a lot of privacy if you want to sit on the porch, (people walking by) and the only view is of the pool, and not the turquoise sea. There is a beach, however it's rocky so shoes/sandals recommended. My husband snorkeled from the beach and saw lots of fish, sea urchins (white and red!). The hotel is in a good location, within walking distance of Playa Norte, which is a beach for swimming and sunning. There are several places to "rent" a lounge chair and umbrella ~ if you buy $15USD of drinks. Beers run around $2.00. There is a great place for breakfast, lunch, or dinner called Sunset Grill. You sit right on the beach and have dinner, highly recommended. You can also walk right into the main center of town where all the restaurants and shopping are. This is a great place to stay, very comfortable bed, with couches, chairs, refrigerator, and the bathroom is nicely tiled ~ complete with robes.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Unisys
Reviewed September 15, 2008

Loved the hotel, very small, small rooms though, but it was lovely, there is no restaurant but there is a small pool and a bar where you can spend all day.. There are small places to eat around the island, not that good but not far..

• Stayed: April 2005
Reviewed September 12, 2008

We stayed in Secreto at the end of our hooneymoon and were really excited based on the hotel website and the various awards that it has one. Overall I have to say that we were disappointed. For the money we were paying I would have expected better service. The hotel was just re-opening after renovations and maybe things were not back to normal standards when we stayed but a few things really bothered us. At breakfast, dirty dishes were left on the dining table for hours, the ipods advertised as such a feature of the hotel are charged for and there is no internet service at the hotel (unless you've brought your own laptop).

The rooms are really nice and the pool is great. Isla Mujeres itself is not very impressive although it is an escape from Cancun. We had come from Tulum and had fallen in love with the place- for us Isla Mujeres just didn't compare.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple