“Perfect spot for friends, lovers, or on your own” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Villa La Bella

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Isla Mujeres
Villa La Bella
Ranked #1 of 34 Isla Mujeres B&B and Inns
Portland, Oregon
“Perfect spot for friends, lovers, or on your own”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2010

Villa la Bella is a simply beautiful, tranquil, wonderful place. The B&B is small and intimate, it's super easy to step out of your room downstairs for food, drinks, beach, pool, or out on the town. There's no crowds or elevators. If you're looking for peace and quiet, Villa la Bella is amazing.
Our room was beautiful. We stayed in one of the palapas, so we had a great salty breeze passing through our room, and we also had a beautiful view of the pool and the ocean. The decor is beautifully planned, from the conch shell showerhead to the cool built-in cement bench. We slept wonderfully on the big bed, creatively suspended from 4 ropes. I've never before swayed myself to sleep, but it was truly fantastic
Curtis, one of the owners, makes delicious breakfast in the morning. I'm still craving the breakfast lasagna! The fruit accompanying the entrees was so fresh and flavorful, and the Mexican coffee, delicately spiced, was delicious.
Ashley, Curtis' wife and co-owner, is simply a gem. The island goddess is so sweet and charming and helpful. Both owners and also their staff are great, and more than happy to help schedule a pick up if you want to rent a golf cart (which was perfect for exploring the small island's beaches and downtown) or whatever other activities.
The pina coladas served in hollowed-out coconuts with fresh coconut shavings on top are amazing, whether you take them to sit by the pool or enjoy them at the rope-swing barstools.
The island itself is really fun; small, accessible, and friendly. I've never snorkeled in clearer water! The beach right at Villa la Bella is good for snorkeling, and the little caves and rocks that you can walk down to are simply beautiful.
I absolutely will stay at Villa la Bella again and you should check it out! I came home feeling so rejuvenated.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank EliseInPortland

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
  • Hebrew first
Oak Park, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2010

I got married on the island and I stayed at Villa La Bella from Sept. 6th to the 11th, and let me start by saying the pictures online don't do it any justice. Don't get me wrong, the photos look great and everything, but the moment you walk in the entrance everything is so much better. I looked at the photos of our Honeymoon Suite just about 2 times a week for the 4 or 5 months leading up to our arrival and the minute we walked in the room our jaws dropped, the views were incredible, the two decks were amazing and the breakfast nook was amazing. We would sleep at night with the windows and doors open and you could hear the waves crashing as you fall asleep. In the morning you would have a table setting and coffee mugs for breakfast. The coffee was incredible, I've never been a coffee guy but I couldn't stop drinking the coffee every single morning, and now I'm having withdrawals in the morning since I haven't been able to emulate it! Curtis' breakfast was out of this world, if he opened Villa for breakfast daily there would be a line as long as the island of people trying to get a seat. Villa is probably the most relaxing place on earth, if rest and relaxation was in the dictionary Villa La Bellas' photo and reservation info would be the definition. It's so hard to write this because I've been left speechless by just how incredible Villa was. I've never gone somewhere and since the moment I left my heart hurts when I think about where I stayed. I forgot to mention the pina coladas, they are truly the greatest pina coladas you will ever have, I didn't drink anything but the pina coladas when I was there, and the night before we left I made sure I got enough in to hold me over till next year when I go back. The location is great also, it's in the middle of the Isla so its far enough away from all the comotion but still only a 30 peso cab ride to el centro. There are also a bunch of local little food stands and convenience stores just a walk away. The only bad thing about Villa La Bella is going home, because you will never stop thinking about how great it was. I loved every single part about staying there and will be back as much as possible. Last but definitely not least, Ashley and Curtis were such great host's. You could count on them for all the info and recommendations you could ever need. They were there to greet us when we showed up at Villa, and were there sending us off in our taxi to the ferry. They're living the dream and helping others live it also when they stay at Villa La Bella. Thank you so much Ashley and Curtis! Y'all are two incredible people and my stay at Villa La Bella was nothing short of amazing, looking forward to seeing y'all in the future!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NTC2103
Boston, MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2010

We, like most VLB reviewers, are unabashedly partial. We adore the island; we've forgone other intriguing destinations in favor of returning. We adore the people; Ashley, Curtis & the guys are great beyond description. We love the property & setting; the view, breeze and layout are prime for slowing down and soaking it all in. Our last visit, though a few days longer than before, was still not long enough and leaving was a real bummer.
I have little new to share about VLB, but there's been a great new addition to the Honeymoon suite -- a fantastic cushioned bench (photo attached) -- that's a perfect place for lounging in the comfort of the room while catching the breeze and the view from the window. It's an excellent use of space and harmonious to the overall layout.
I've been trying to figure out how soon we can make it back for a fourth visit ever since we landed back in the States. Miss y'all tons!! S & D

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank StarringGecko
Coolum Beach Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2010

Wow - my wife and I just spent 4 fantastic days at Villa la Bella and we couldn't thank Ashley and Curtis enough when we left for their hospitality, warm welcome and help with things to do and places to eat during our stay. Their choice of restaurants was great (especially the whole grilled red snapper place in town - inexpensive and so fresh). Villa la Bella is in the middle of the island and is a 30 to 50 peso ride into town. We went on a whale shark tour recommended by Ashley and Curtis and was an awesome experience and shouldn't be missed if you are here at the right time. Mostly we enjoyed just chilling out around the beautiful pool either on a day bed, in a hammock or the lounge area. Villa la Bella has been decorated beautifully with a beachy, caribbean feel and the palapa we stayed in although not airconditioned (other rooms are) had a 180 degree view of the picturesque rocky beach and sea. There is also a nice sandy strip to have a swim in the sea. The staff that make the Margaritas and Pina Coladas and clean the rooms are also very nice and helpful and keep the place looking great. The breakfasts were cooked by Curtis and were the best breakfasts we have had on this trip! A combination of his home town cooking and Mexican influences made for the perfect breakfast and a wonderful start to the day. This is the only place to stay on Isla Mujeres and many of the day visitors that we spoke to when they called in for a drink thought that maybe it was a better option than Cancun. We certainly did and can't wiat to come back!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dazoli1
Portland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2010

My husband and I stayed at La Villa Bella for the first couple of nights of our honeymoon in late August, during what is technically the “off season” in Isla Mujeras. Turns out this is one of the best times to visit, however – it was prime whale-shark feeding season, and Curtis and Ashley set us up with an amazing trip.

Even though we switched hotels mid-vacation (we couldn’t really back out of our reservation at a spot on the north side of the island), Curtis and Ashley still set us up with another day trip for later in our vacation. We essentially had a private tour of three historic sites around Cancun area, including Coba, Talum and the Gran Cenote. Our cab driver, William, was totally trustworthy and dependable and we ended up having him meet us at the ferry dock for our ride to the airport when we went home.

We couldn’t believe how sweet and accommodating Curtis and Ashley are. They also have a great listing of different places to try out around the island, and we had a ton of fun visiting the local colonias – a totally different experience from the more touristy attractions up north, where at least in the downtown area you’d be hard-pressed to find a neighborhood bakery; on the other hand, there is one about a block and a half away from Villa la Bella.

The room was incredibly clean, air conditioned if you wanted it, and we pretty much had entire place to ourselves while we were there. The complimentary breakfasts Curtis prepares rival the best restaurants we found on the island.

We had a few rain showers during our stay but they were isolated to the evening for the most part and very short (and still sooo warm). We never pulled our jackets out of our suitcases. We really did enjoy having the contrasting experience of staying up north (in a great hotel as well), but kept remembering fondly our stay a short taxi ride or medium-length walk away!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank KaraHM
Austin, TX
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2010

I've thought long and hard about this review and waited several years to post it. I do so with respect for the care Curtis and Ashley have put into their B&B and with awareness that any review with a whiff of negativity has received a personal and harsh response from the hotel. Our visit in 2008 was a disappointment, and it's left us feeling that prospective visitors should be aware of a few things before booking:

1) You will pay the entire amount of your stay -- not a deposit, but the entire stay -- 30 days before arrival, and it will be entirely nonrefundable. My husband and I have both traveled extensively at home and abroad and have never, once, been asked to pay for our entire stay up front. We did so to ensure we had a room, though once we arrived we discovered the hotel was entirely empty except for us for most of our stay. And the decision ended up costing us about $500, as we left early, because:

2) If the weather is bad, there's no place to be besides your room. We had misfortune to come during a time of serious rain, heavy winds, and stormy sea. Villa La Bella is entirely oriented toward the outdoors -- the bar/breakfast area and common seating areas are all outside -- so in bad weather, your option is your room. Even as honeymooners, this got old for us, especially because:

3) The honeymoon suite has no soft surfaces besides the bed. There was no place to sit comfortably unless it was the bed. In addition, it's adjacent to the street, a busy road that's one of the main arteries of the island. If the patio doors were open, we heard traffic day and night. Ultimately, after days of this and no sign of clearing weather, we decided to leave and spend the rest of our honeymoon elsewhere. It was a tough decision made tougher by the fact that we were forfeiting more than $500 in hotel fees.

4) You will pay for each and every expense while at Villa La Bella, no matter what. I wasn't surprised when a previous reviewer said they had to pay for a shower fixture that broke while they were there. In our case, it was a couple of surprise beer charges. We arrived our first night in a torrential storm, late and wet after a long day of travel. We were ushered into our room and then asked if we wanted a beer. Sure, we said. Days later when we were leaving we received our bar tab. We were prepared for the couple of pina coladas and the chicken meal we'd ordered, but we had no idea that our "Welcome to Villa La Bella" beers would be included, especially given the circumstances. It's become a running joke between us.

In good weather, with a good crowd around the pool, I'm sure this is a nice place to stay. Tons of reviews confirm that. But if the circumstances don't fall in your favor--and none of us can control the weather--the set up and policies of this hotel can add to the disappointment. And given that all of the monetary risk is borne by the visitor (and not shared at all by the hotel), it can be a pricey disappointment as well.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
11 Thank Vivellos
villalabella, Owner at Villa La Bella, responded to this review, September 21, 2010
We are very concerned when someone doesn’t have a good experience at our
B & B by the sea. With respect to the reviewer, we would like to reply to some of the issues they had during their stay. We are not right for everyone and have tried to make our website as accurate as possible, so potential guests know what can be expected.

We’re not a hotel, we’re a little Bed & Breakfast that has very consistent and upfront policies. Our policies are meant to protect both sides. . . and they do. Guests always have a clean, beautiful place to stay with a great breakfast. No rooms are ever overbooked, no lost reservations or changes at the last minute. Our goal is to under-promise and over-deliver. Also, whether we are full or have 1 guest, we always have a full staff taking care of guests needs.

Before booking, we 100% let you know the cancelation policy and is on our website as well. We researched this reviewer and found that she e-mailed us specifically about our cancelation policy and she agreed to it before she booked.

Our website shows what our B & B looks like and describes it as having open-air living areas. There are no surprises and obviously we can’t be responsible for heavy rain and wind. Also, our Honeymoon Suite has a new cocktail couch with a beautiful protected view of the ocean for added comfort in the room.

These folks checked in very late in the evening. Our house and bar was shut down at that late hour. During there check-in (and via e-mail prior to arrival), we told them we would run a bar tab for them and preceded to ask them if they would like to have anything, like a beer? They said yes and we got them 2 beers. We have no idea why anyone would think they would get free beers from our bar. . . we are a business. Certainly we did not try to mislead or trick them into having to pay 40 pesos for their 2 beers which is less than $4usd.

The sad thing is, it got sunny the day after they left. Happy travels to all.

Curtis & Ashley
Villa La Bella
The Woodlands, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2010

There is NO OTHER place to stay other than Villa La Bella on the island..how can you go wrong.. the best pina coladas & margaritas...Beautiful home..Curtis & Ashley are 2 of the kindest people you will ever meet..and the list goes on & on..

Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple