“Loved The island”

Book In Advance
More Info
$128.50*
and up
Cancun Combo: Chichen Itza Tour plus Isla Mujeres Catamaran Sail with Snorkeling
More attraction details
Owner description: Dolphin Discovery Isla Mujeres invites you to live the dream of swimming with dolphins, manatees and sea lions in paradise! Located just a short ferry trip from Cancun, Dolphin Discovery Isla Mujeres brings you the chance to interact with our family of marine mammals in a natural ocean environment. We have programs for all ages, family-friendly experiences that you will never forget!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed February 22, 2013

I love island Mujeras and Garrafon Park. Swimming witht the Dolphins was fun. We had the Dolphin Encounter. The water was a little cold so my son exited the water early and missed the main dolphin encounter. The doplhin trainer Marcos was excellent with him and did not want to exclude him. He even got out of the water and used my son as a dolphin "Trainer". i was so happy about this The one thing we were turned off by was they try to sell you the pictures they take of you and the price was outrageous. They wanted $200 for a complete Disc. then lowered it to $160. we still said no thanks and chose not to purchase any. Other than that Island Mujeras is worth the trip. Next time we may just take the water taxi and tour the Island ourselves.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,178)
All reviews
in 34 reviews
"ferry ride"
in 29 reviews

Reviewed February 22, 2013

We traveled here as part of a tour with Dolphin discovery. We went to swim with the dolphins then they take you to Garrafon Park. ?All i can say is you need more time at Island Mujeras. If I went again I would take the water taxi, rent a golf cart and be my own tour guide. the swim with the dolphins was expensive and over-rated. But I love Island Mujeras.

1  Thank GFfromMT
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Our 8 year old son was dreaming of swimming with the Dolphins our entire stay on Isla Mujeres. We decided to get the VIP package and it was well worth it. Food and drinks were outstanding. Our son had a great time with the dolphins and we were very impressed with how organized they are. The professional pictures are pricey however they turned out great. We were told we were able to purchase the disk and get two printed photos however when we arrived home the disk was empty. That would be my one and only complaint.

Reviewed February 15, 2013

I was reluctant to swim with the dolphins, despite it being a lifelong dream, because I was concerned it would seem cruel to the animals. I was also put off by some of the reviewers making it sound like the experience would be non-stop hassle, especially about photos.

I'm very glad I went! While being in the wild always has to beat captivity, the dolphins had a very large enclosure in the ocean, they seemed well-cared for, and didn't seem to mind being with people at all. As for hassle, we were never hassled once about the photos. In fact, we had to hunt down the building to purchase our photos and no one bothered us about it.

Our experience:

Through Dolphin Discovery, we got a shuttle directly from our hotel to the ferry port. Then, a special ferry brought us directly to the Dolphin Discovery site on Isla Mujeres. They had drinks and breakfast foods out on the ferry. When we arrived, the dolphins must have heard the first ferry of the day arrive because they started jumping out of the water and swimming alongside us as we walked up the dock. I know they're probably eager to start getting their fish treats once they start being with the humans, but I have to admit it was quite a thrill seeing them so excited to see us.

We did the Sea Life Discovery and got to swim with the manatees, dolphins, and sea lion.

The dolphins were amazing, but each interaction with them was so controlled and brief. The dolphins do their behavior and then are excited to go get their treat reward and of course, couldn't care less about me. That's understandable, but a little disappointing. The sea lion, as well, was a brief encounter. My husband's and my favorite was the manatees! We had 30 minutes swimming with the two manatees, feeding them heads of lettuce and fruit. Really, really amazing experience!

Food was acceptable. I wasn't expecting gourmet! It seemed fine to my husband and me. And all the tiny cups of beer you could drink. :)

We'd been told we could ride bikes around the island, but for some reason having to do with road work, we couldn't use the bikes. Instead, we took the ferry (included) to the other side of the island and walked all around the streets and beaches. Be sure to stop by the fascinating cemetery if you get the chance!

I'm only giving it four out of five because our initial arrival was sort of confusing without much direction. We were also initially put in the dolphin group instead of the Sea Life group. The other reason is just the cost. It's so expensive. We paid $338 plus the cost of our CDs of photos ($120 in total for both my husband and me)

But the staff were all very friendly and amazingly multi-lingual. We had a Russian couple in our group and two of the staff actually spoke Russian too! They did a very good job making everyone comfortable and seemed knowledgeable about the animals they worked with.

Again, so glad I did it. I will never forget the experience.

1  Thank ColoradoMom761