“WE LOVED IT - however we "broke out of jail"”

Mia Reef Isla Mujeres
Ranked #7 of 37 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
Lima, Peru
“WE LOVED IT - however we "broke out of jail"”
Reviewed February 14, 2011

My wife and I wanted to escape the snow and ice that hit the mid west. I wanted a beach vacation and I wanted to be on the ocean / beach and have a interesting place to walk around. Isla Mujeres fit the bill exactly!
We got to our room and it was right on the ocean with a great view.

Well guess what ?........ this huge window only opens about 6"

and to top that is has some opaque glass like in a shower - so when I look out at the ocean it looks like I am having some hazy dream instead of hearing the crashing waves and breathing the fresh air.
Well it took me all of about 10 minutes to get the little strap off the held the window closed. Judging by the approx 8 little holes where the strap used to be bolted into, I would have to say that I am not the first to find this situation frustrating.
The desk did call up once and they wanted to send someone up to close the window for "security purposes" but I would have blockaded the door first!

Once that was out of the way we liked the room (hard beds though) and we loved the location.
The restaurant and the whole place was quiet.
I think the villas are the only safe way to go here but for value the tower rooms that face the ocean (wedding chapel side) are a good bargain - IF IF IF you can open the window.

Bottom Line - I would give this hotel NEGATIVE 5 stars with the jail window
and 4 stars with the window libre

1 Thank jimmyglen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (516)
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed February 14, 2011

i thought i should write a review since i always use this site for research..
Avalon was a nice place..
I stayed in a villa for 8 days and it was quiet and peaceful.

No problems at all.. actually, 1 problem.
None of the cardio machines worked in the gym. I need to work out daily, so i was worried. I just decided to run along the beach every morning.. which turned out to be perfect. It was so nice to run outside again.. And finishing the run off with yoga at the neighboring hotel was an added bonus.

Anytime i had a question, there was such a nice lady at the frontdesk. I think her name was Sara.

Their beach was nice too. You can throw tortillas into the water and then 100s of fish start bumping into you fighting for it.. I did snorkeling on their beach as well and saw a baracuda, crabs, and some pretty fish. But then i saw a 5 foot wide sting ray swoop past me and i got so scared i swallowed water from the snorkel and thought i was going to die like crocodile hunter. I didnt go into the deeper water after that.

It was good experience.
I usually try to go new caribbean place every winter, but i think i would go here again.
Thank you for all your reviews and i hope this is helpful.

Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank JohnS123
ServiceAvalon, Guest Relations Manager at Mia Reef Isla Mujeres, responded to this review, February 23, 2011
Dear Guest,
thank you for your comments, and please come back!! it is so nice to know that you are considering this so thank you for giving us the chance to have you at the Reef.
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed February 12, 2011

Avalon was just fine. No problems. One day they turned off the water late at night for maintenance, but called each room and let everyone know. We rented a studio and were quite pleased. We called to straighten out our door lock and they responded right away. The staff is ready to please everyone who stays there. The grounds are well maintained, the beaches cleaned everyday, and security is good. The rooms are cleaned right away when you step out and our requests were taken care of.

My only complaint was the fitness center. It needs a great deal of work. Some equipment is questionable.

We stayed there from 1/31/2011 until 2/9/11. The money was well spent. The place affords you privacy if you choose. Not many Packer Fans there but many visitors were able to watch the game from their room or in the bar where 4 televisions were set up for the Super Bowl.

This was our 5th trip to Isla and we enjoyed ourselves. I had read all the negative reviews but took a chance. It was a good choice.

1 Thank islafriend
Vancouver Island, Canada
Reviewed February 12, 2011

Just want to say I do not usually post to these sites, trips can have bad and good, especially in Mexico, this time I am moved to say something. Starting with our arrival, when we got to the Avalon the reception person was not at all friendly, he could not find our reservation he was not even polite, I gave him our reservation # and finally after a phone call it was resolved but no apoligy for the attitude. when we went to our rooms I was shocked, the room was so small with two small beds crammed together. There was a large puddle on the floor from the air-conditioner. Everyday we had to report problems in the room either not cleaned, not enough towels, the art conditioer broke down the clock did nto work the fan over head did not work there were no reading lights. Each time we asked we got service but it was weird having to ask every day for something different. we never got the same number of towels in our room daily. We paid on line for the reservation where we were told taxes and tips were included, but tha was not he case. One of my memorable events was for three nights when we got there there was no water for the whole complex, the second night we got a notice underour door telling us it was goint to happen and that we would have to make arrangments, not sure what arrangements can be made when there is no water to wash, flush toilets,ans sink with no stopper to hold some water, etc. There was no ofer of financial adjustment because of the inconvience. When we asked for that consideration on our bill they said no no they would not do that.
Bring plenty of pesos to pay for every thing you might want such as ice. They will get some one to deliver it and you tip them. be prepared to pay a lot for a glass of pop that is in a five ounce glass with mostly ice. it was an over all unpleasant experience, loved the location and thats what sucks you in bit the place its self was badddd.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Isla Mujeres hotels

New York City, New York
Reviewed February 9, 2011

Went to this hotel because the pics looked great! However, after a grueling flight on the worst airline possible (Spirit Airlines), we arrived at this hotel and was welcomed with a front desk receptionist that was nasty and abrupt. She made it very difficult to feel welcomed and happy to be there.

We then got to our room. An extra small room that looked NOTHING like the pictures on the website. Our room was tiny with a very hard bed. Yes, we had a great view of the ocean, but the window in the room opened up only about 5 inches. And I am pretty sure we got bitten by bed bugs. Our things are still in quarantine.

Last, we paid $100 for each person for an "American Breakfast" thinking we would be able to eat whatever we wanted for breakfast. Nope, we paid $25 per person for breakfast that included some fruit and a breakfast muffin. We then found out we overpaid. Because the actual cost of the entire buffet was about $16 american dollars. So, DO NOT PREPAY FOR BREAKFAST.

This hotel is also keen on the "nickel and dime" policy. They even charge $20 pesos to put refill the coffee station in your room. The cheap kind that you make yourself. For crying out loud.

It would have been nice to know what all the upfront costs were and just gone and had a nice time.

Though the hotel had great views of the water, I felt like the fighting with the hotel staff for silly things ruined my vacation.

Lastly, golf carts are FAR cheaper almost everywhere else on the island than at this hotel.

Portage, Michigan, USA
Reviewed February 6, 2011

The Tower rooms are pathetic. Noisy, no balcanonies. No water for four nights in a row. The furniture is sparse and the bed small and hard as a rock. Only stay here if you can afford to upgrade to the villas. $50.00 us per night is the upgrade. We have stayed on the Island two other times and always had great experiences. We thought we were upgrading going to the Avalon, How wrong we were. Too many rules and expensive. $5.00 for 20 minutes on the internet. Its free at the hostel and at many places around the island.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank tldefo
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed February 6, 2011

The Avalon Reef Club had the hardest beds I have ever slept on (or didn't sleep). The reviews said to ask for a pad for the bed, the gal at the desk was quite annoyed, she said she would check to see if one was available, that was all the farther we got. We paid ahead for the American breakfast, $10.00 per person, but to upgrade to the buffet was 50 pesos more (around $4.70). The buffet was 99 pesos ($8.40) if you paid at the hotel. Do not prepay for breakfast, plus there are alot of options downtown. The beach and snorkel areas are excellant and the only reason to stay there. Only stay if you can get a studio or villa. We got moved to a villa the last 2 days. The bed was huge and comfortable, and the view was outstanding. Our beach waiter, Joel, was so sweet and Francisco, the bellman, was very helpful. We love Isla and would stay here again if we could book a villa.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple