Mia Reef Isla Mujeres
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Na Balam Beach Hotel(Isla Mujeres)
Hotel Secreto(Isla Mujeres)
View Hotel
Cabanas Maria Del Mar(Isla Mujeres)
  • Breakfast included
Ixchel Beach Hotel(Isla Mujeres)
View Hotel
Hotel Las Palmas(Isla Mujeres)
  • Pool
Hotel Plaza Almendros(Isla Mujeres)
Playa Arena(Isla Mujeres)
Nautibeach Condos(Isla Mujeres)
View Hotel
Francis Arlene Hotel(Isla Mujeres)
View Hotel
Los Arcos Suites(Isla Mujeres)
2,548 results
All reviewskings bathacross the bridgewooden bridgegolf carttropical fishtower roomsthe main hotelshallow watercevichecrashing wavesbuffet restaurantgreat snorkelingstar resortocean sideamazing locationbeautiful waterwalk into town
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 1, 2009

Just got back from a week at the Avalon Reef Club Isla Mujeres. Upon arrival, we were given a flyer stating the pool would be closed for repairs for 5 days. Then, after not liking the first room, we settled on the third room offered in the tower since the villas were booked up. The safe did not have a lock on it and we were told it would not be there until the next day. I told them this was necessary, so they sent maintenance up and got the safe working right away. After this, everything went great. We didn't book the all-inclusive since we are not drinkers, big eaters and are in the water every day, however the buffet breakfast that came with the room was very good and the omelette chef was happy to oblige when asked to make an egg white omelette. Tips are always appreciated. Rent a golf cart down the street. It's a really fun way to see the island - see the Conch Shell House, Turtle Farm, Playa Norte, etc. There are a lot of little shacks along the beach with great seafood, as well as in town. Downtown has streets blocked off with tables and chairs out in the streets and a variety of restaurants and shops. Everything was decorated festively for Feliz Navidad. See Felipe at Felipe's Best Little Dive Shop in the Caribbean located in a small building on Playa Norte near Sunset Grill. Felipe is a very experienced and knowledgeable divemaster. Sunset Grill has a great location right on the beach with excellent grilled shrimp. As the sun went down while dining, I was a little chilled from being in the sun all day, so the waiter brought me the softest shawl to borrow while dining. We felt like we were in a small town and everyone spoke to each other-very friendly island. We did not want to leave Isla and are already planning a trip back.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with friends
4  Thank Susan_Powers_2004
Reviewed December 28, 2008

Just returned yesterday from a one week trip to Isla and stayed at the Avalon as a timeshare trade. We stayed in the Villas where all timeshare people stay. Ours was a studio with a balcony overlooking the Ocean and a beautiful view.

Our experience:
Staff was great!
Studio was great!
Maid service was fabulous!
We did not eat any food there--all of the food is fairly expensive and only available in buffets. The food in the over 100 restaurants in Isla is great and cheap--why eat at a hotel!
The beaches are quiet, lots of beautiful sand and water. Plenty of chais lounges--you do not have to reserve them at 6am as in other places.

While I stayed at the Avalon, I felt like I was staying at the best accomodations and location on Isla.

Judy

Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
6  Thank scrim
Reviewed December 23, 2008

We stayed last at the Avalon Reef "Club" the first week of December. There was a non-stop influx of people being shown the property for the time-share pitch. The hotel has the #1 location on the island... but with no pre-warning of a pool under construction, no lock for the in room safe and no office safety box, sub-par food, and a lobby staff that lies to customers and treats people rudely....I have to warn people to STAY AWAY! The hotel overbooked my room type "Villa". They reluctantly gave me my room, but proceeded to lie to the next three couples about how they were being given much nicer rooms instead. I saw no fewer than 15 people lied to about room availability and safe and pool issues. The lucky Villa view rooms had happy guests... the others were left thinking about where they could have stayed instead. If you read other reviews you will see "Rock Hard Beds" is a good description. I felt like I was gambling when I booked and it looks like some win... and like me, some lose. The Island is great, but I told the lobby staff I would let people know about what they were doing to guests. I still wonder if I had taken a tour "time share" that we might have been treated better... but I doubt it. Good Luck to those willing to gamble.

• Stayed: December 2008
2  Thank greenapple1
Reviewed December 18, 2008

We booked through bookit.com and got a great deal. 7 nights in December and booked end of October. Total w/ taxes about $530 (for the towers). This hotel is beautiful. Staff is great and has to be the best on the island, however; you can spend more but this location is one of a kind. It sits off the island and is an island in itselft conected by a bridge. You can walk out over a 1/4mi and only up to your chest. It is the clearest water I have ever seen. You can walk right out and snorkel all over. I would advise to not get all inclusive because there is so much on the island. They will let you get it for a day if you wanted. We got there and the pool was closed for repairs but they upgraded us to a villa at no charge. Our room was 1022 and looked right out at the kings bath. We were gonna ask to upgrade to a villa anyway, so it worked out great. We were out and about everyday and would have rarley sat at pool. After 7 full days we didnt even do all we wanted on the island. There is a ton of stuff to do. I am going to go back and will stay here. I dont agree w/ any review of those saying they had a bad time (although i really didnt find any). The only thing is the beds is hard in the villa's. I am going to buy a blow up matress next time. Enjoy and if your thinking about it just GO!!.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank mcdon239
Reviewed December 10, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Avalon Reef Club from November 27th - December 1st. We stayed in a villa and found that it was well worth the extra money just for the view. Our balcony faced the Carribean and we slept with our balcony door open all night so we could listen to the waves crash on the shore. We could also see various types of boats go by at any given time of day/night from our balcony. The hotel room and resort was not in perfect condition but we were not going on vacation to stay in a hotel room 24/7. The room was clean. Our only complaint about the room was the firmness of the mattress.

When we arrived we were advised that the pool had been closed for renovations. A little dissapointed about that but once we snorkeled/swam in the sea, we got over the pool being closed. As stated in past reviews, you could go out a great distance before the water was deep. While snorkeling near the hotel we saw barracuda by the bridge to the hotel, small sting rays, crab and various species of fish. Kings Bath was like swimming in your own personal aquarium. At the hotel's suggestion, we snorkeled next door to Garrafon at Hotel Castille Garrafon. I wasn't impressed. There were quite a few fish but the surf made it hard to swim around and visibility was not as high as it was by the hotel. If you want to snorkel somewhere else on the Isla, it would be a deal at $4 USD per person instead of forking out the money for Garrafon but your best bet is to snorkel near the bridge to the hotel and Kings Bath. We rented a golf cart for 24 hours for $45 USD through the tour desk at the hotel. Its cheaper to put it on a credit card for some reason. Also, fair warning, they keep your driver's license at golf cart rental place and give it back when you return the cart.

While driving around the Isla we visited the Turtle Farm which was great. We also went to Punta Sur. Wear comfortable shoes when you go to Punta Sur and walk down on the cliffs. Bring a camera, great views and plenty of iguanas in close proximity.

The food at the hotel was ok. I am a rather picky eater so I'm probably not the best person to ask for a review on the food. If I could not find anything to my liking, I would order room service. We did go into town and ate at Rolandi's. I never thought I would have the best brick oven pizza in Mexico, but I did. 2 pizzas and 2 drinks for $20 USD. Can't beat that!

The shopping on and around Hildago street was great...and feel free to bargin to try to get a good deal. If you start to walk away, they usually start dropping their price.

The location of the hotel can't be beat.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple