“Do not go!”

Mia Reef Isla Mujeres
Ranked #6 of 37 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
Reviewed March 19, 2014

We did not stay here - thank God! - but had considered before booking the privilege aluxes. While on the island we walked over to the Avalon to check out - it is in MAJOR disrepair - MAJOR! The location and water is stunning but the resort itself is soooo worn down. In its day I'm sure it was incredible and we could see that they are restoring but this is going to take some major time and I wish them success as it is a very unique and beautiful location. HOWEVER, stay away until it's done and that looks like its going to be a while. With all the disrepair and continual noise of sledgehammering, etc it's amazing to me that it's not closed until finished. We travel 3 or 4 times a year and don't mind basic accommodations (when that's all we have paid for), but I seriously cannot understand some of these "glowing" reviews. To each their own I guess......but do your research

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
7  Thank annacoll
Write a ReviewReviews (2,332)

Reviewed March 18, 2014

Had to write this review based on reading others. We stayed at resort in Feb 2014. We did NOT know it would be under renovation....but this was never a problem. We paid 230. USD for both of us with all inclusive. We loved the food but it was in no way gourmet or US based! We ate many meals in town, which were amazing! But resort breakfast Huevos rancheros , fresh fruit, eggs anyway, late afternoon chicken tacos on soft corn tortillas, fresh guacamole, ceviche, and night time, anything they cooked on flat top, fresh made soup, salad, fruits. Many things we did not care for but many we did....and it was pretty obvious that hot dogs were used in breakfast and dinner items...we just stirred clear and stuck with Mexican type dishes! Between huge breakfasts before we started out our days and the pool drinks and the amazing view from our Studio1024 more then worth the value!!!! Our friends were staying at 500+ a night w breakfast! They were not near town ,flat view of Cancun hotels, very expensive restaurant. Beautiful but no where near the view and cool beach we had!!! DO Not stay in high rise yet, everyone complained about the rooms except suites!! The Studios are two story buildings, pretty beat up but Clean!! Bed was HARD ask for pad. And the Oceanside view with the waves crashing right under the room was amazing!! We found the English speaking TV stations and loved all the American movies with that I believe we're never shown in US!! A point on the staff, we found many English speaking staff, restaurant manager was very customer oriented, upbeat and helping staff constantly! All staff was friendly and helpful! I asked lots of other guests about the construction and No One complained!!! All construction was done by hand( no big machinery any where) more interesting then annoying !! They do need more beach amenities !!
I did not want to leave and will return. Ps the last four nights of our trip were spent in 55ft sport fishing boat Contango! GO Fishing there, it was great. We live in Fl keys and were stilled amazed by all the fish!

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
4  Thank APeacockFLKYS
Reviewed March 17, 2014

We loved our stay here due to the beautiful surroundings. The location is such a treat! The Avalon Reef club was just ok. Luckily our room was much better than other family members who ended up with twin beds and poor view.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rocketship_11
Reviewed March 16, 2014

The location of the hotel is perfect, a wooden bridge away from the main island of Isla Mujeres. The sunset view from the beach (and from our room) was awesome. The hotel itself... well... let's just say the room didn't live up to our expectations. We stayed in the main building on the fourth floor, overlooking not only the island and the beach but also the hotel's maintenance workshop. However, since there was no balcony (which we knew beforehand) and the windows could barely be opened, the room was quiet – that is, until we turned the AC on. It was so loud, which I guess it would be in the “minimalistic” room consisting of cement walls with hardly any furniture.

We had breakfast only included in our rate and it was very nice, eggs made to order etc. and there were tables right by the ocean. The pool seemed nice enough but we barely saw anyone use it since it was kind of squeezed in between the hotel reception area and the dining room. The private beach was very nice with chairs easily available. The beaches close by on the main island were also awesome. Wifi was said to be accessible in the lobby area but it only worked about 1/5 of the time. The front desk staff was friendly enough.

So in conclusion, location – 5 stars! Room – 2 stars...

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 14, 2014

I would have great things to say about this place if it wasn't for the fact that someone on the staff stole my iPad out of my backpack in my room. So if you stay here make sure you lock your stuff up on the safe or don't bring valuables at all. The best thing about this place is the location. When I stayed there they had just changed ownership and were in the middle of a renovation. The rooms are minimal but the views are amazing. The beach is awesome. I reported the stolen item to hotel security, they did an investigation but turned up nothing. Of course it didn't. I'm thinking they probably are all in on it. Anyway I would probably stay here again because it's affordable but wouldn't bring anything of value. There's also decent hotels just across the bridge.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 13, 2014

I made a special request for a room on the Gulf side of the hotel and was told they couldn't honor the request because the hotel was full. I don't think they were telling the truth. I was there for three days and didn't see anybody coming out of the last three rooms on the Gulf side. I got the feeling they just couldn't be bothered. I told him I was having trouble sleeping because of the noise of the ocean. We had reserved a villa based on trip advisor reviews. The villas were okay but my whole trip was flavored by the front desk and their uncaring attitude. They also play loud music at the beach all the time. I don't go to a peaceful island paradise to hear loud music.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank candida6752
Reviewed March 13, 2014

Let me say, I apologize if this is not the correct forum for this posting, but figured I would try it. I recently lost my mother, so please be nice and kind when responding, if you need to reprimand me!!!! I met a lovely Mexican family at Avalon/Mia Reef this past June 18-25. The wife's name is Beti, I do not recall her husbands name. They have a baby boy who would be about a year old now. The husband is an Orthopedic surgeon in Mexico at a clinic. When Beti showed me her contact information on FB it was a long name, and I knew I would not remember it. Unfortunately, we did not cross paths again, so I was not able to get her information. I have called the hotel and asked if they could pass onto the family my information, so the family
can get in touch with me, but the hotel indicated they can not do that. Beti is a beautiful woman, wearing a large black and white sun hat and black and white swimsuit. If any of you met her, please let her know I am trying to get in touch with her. I know they spent a lot of time swimming near the bridge. They were originally in the hotel, then switched to a villa. Thank you for any assistance you might be able to offer.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo