Mia Reef Isla Mujeres
Playa La Media Luna Hotel(Isla Mujeres)(Great Value!)
$115
Privilege Aluxes(Isla Mujeres)
$260
$199
Official Hotel
  • Breakfast included
Ixchel Beach Hotel(Isla Mujeres)(Great Value!)
$364
$220
Official Hotel
Na Balam Beach Hotel(Isla Mujeres)
$255
$207
Travelocity
  • Pool
Nautibeach Condos(Isla Mujeres)
$240
$144
Hotel Rocamar(Isla Mujeres)(Great Value!)
$107
$80
Hotel La Joya(Isla Mujeres)(Great Value!)
$135
Hotel Bahia Chac Chi(Isla Mujeres)(Great Value!)
$86
$77
  • Breakfast included
$608
Bookit.com
Isla Mujeres Palace(Isla Mujeres)
$570
$497
2,607 results
All reviewskings bathacross the bridgewooden bridgegolf carttropical fishtower roomsthe main hotelshallow watercevichecrashing wavesbuffet restaurantgreat snorkelingstar resortocean sideamazing locationbeautiful waterwalk into town
Reviewed February 6, 2014

After reading the reviews on the resort the last few months, I was really worried that we made a mistake booking here. We stayed January 29-February 2. This was our 4th stay on the island. We stayed in the hotel part (without a balcony - boo). Check in was smooth and when shown our room I worried a bit. The room is older, plain and had a real bad smell. We then noticed that the floor air conditioner was blinking "full" and once we emptied out the water tray and opened the window the smell wasn't so bad. I do wish the windows opened more than they do, but the view was still gorgeous and gave us the sound of the waves each night and morning. We decided to give the room one night and see how we felt the next morning. Needless to say, we stayed. Everyone complains about the beds but I slept so well. The air conditioning unit was noisy but worked just fine. We had a wash cloth and just enough towels. I do wish they provided bottled water but we survived. Since we spend no more time than needed in the room, it worked just fine.

The grounds really do make this resort. Sure there is some construction going on but not horrible like I imagined. Saw King's Bath for the first time and was impressed - what a fun little spot with great fish. We always got a lounger on the beach, although drink service on the beach was lacking.

During an overcast day we joined in on the Crazy Games and Bingo with Ada the entertainment staff. Had a good time but if the sun would have been out I would not have been belly-up to the bar playing games! Rented bikes from the resort which worked fine for us - no charge. Drinks were good and all were included with our AI. Since AI was the only option we had, we tried to make the most of it. We ate most meals at the resort and had no issues with any of them. The chocolate cake at dinner is super good. For dinner the buffet night wasn't great but we were too lazy to walk up town to find something else and found enough to fill ourselves.

Service was rough...most were friendly but you really had to catch their attention. We quite often had to wait quite a long time to get anyone's attention to order drinks. It wasn't overly busy either...

All in all, the resort wasn't as bad as people had mentioned. Or maybe I'm just not all that picky. I love Isla and as long as I'm there, I'm content. Would I stay again? Most likely if the prices don't go up.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
6  Thank splon
Reviewed February 2, 2014

First of all, if you are looking for a quiet, warm, beautiful, non commercialized holiday, I would like to recommend Isla Mujeres just 5 miles off the beaches of Cancun. it is an Island 5 miles long and 1 mile wide, with a great beach area and accomodations from approximately $50 and up. Mode of transportation is your feet, golf cart, moped or taxi We have been coming to this Island for years and have used the Avalon (now Mia) Reef as our accommodations for the last 10 trips. The hotel and reef club have new ownership, and there is a real desire to upgrade the facilities. The beach area is great, even though smaller than years ago because of the hurricane of 2008, I believe. The food is good, especially the morning breakfast buffet, however the evening dining, having different theme nights, can probably be upgraded somewhat as far as menu choices go. The reef club units are spacious and clean and have beautiful views, no matter which side of the club you may be on. One side faces the Caribbean ocean with its beautifully rough water and the other side faces the Playa Norte beach and the Gulf of Mexico. This beach is one of the top 20 beaches in the world. When checking in always check to see if you have everything you need in your studio, such as an adequate number of assorted dishes, silverware balcony chairs etc. let the front desk know and they will get it straightened out. The furniture is adequate however I imagine a round of modernization will occur. Although we don't go there to watch TV, sometimes at night you may want to watch something, and it would be nice if they had an upgrade done to their satellite system to bring in more English language stations. There are upgrades being done on the grounds and I think the north pier will be rebuilt soon as it got damaged by the hurricanes. Staff are friendly and very accomodating and I would like to say that it doesn't do anybody any favors to be snotty with the staff as I know they will help out and do what they can at all times even during this time of upgrades. Location is great and it is only a 10 win walk to the town centre. We personally do not do all-inclusive here due to the fact that there are some great dining spots downtown at very reasonable prices, and we do little drinking. If we travel to the east side of Mexico, Isla Mujeres and the Avalon (Mia) Reef club are our prime destination. If we want the lifestyle of Cancun, we could just visit West Edmonton Mall and save a lot of airfare. One last thing if you are not into semi hard mattresses, just ask for a softer one for your room. and maid service is never available on Sundays and, yes the air conditioners work well.

Room Tip: West side studios facing Playa Norte beach are quiet and have afternoon sun. ask for east side if you like the sound of waves rolling in 24/7 and not get any direct sunlight
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Jerry H
Reviewed January 29, 2014

The hotel is working on a much needed revamping. As always the staff was friendly and helpful. We asked for a mattress pad our first night there and it was promptly delivered to our room before we got back to go to bed. Any issues that we had were always dealt with in a timely manner. We had the breakfast plan which was so nice not to have to worry about going into town to get food. Breakfast was always good, it was buffet style with an egg station. My fiance had an omelet every day and I had eggs everyday and they were always very good.

The hotel offered kayaks and bikes, which we totally took advantage of. They had tandem kayaks and singles. We rowed all the way out to the lighthouse and wish that we would have brought out snorkel gear with us..next time. We biked around the island as well. The bikes aren't great but they were fine for sight seeing and just enjoying the island.

Our room was much cleaner than last time and if we needed extra towels or anything they got them to us right away. As far as the tv goes...our thought is we don't go on vacation to watch tv I could actually care less if the room even had a tv. I would rather have bedside lamps for reading. My fiance is an early riser and would turn on the overhead light to read which of course woke me up as well.

We love the location of the Avalon Reef (Mia Reef) and really hope that while they are updating it that they don't make it an all inclusive place. The breakfast plan was nice and we always bring food from home for lunches but part of the charm of Isla is walking downtown and finding a good spot for dinner. Or off the beaten path for dinner.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank velogirl93
Reviewed January 24, 2014

We stayed at the Reef Club Jan 8-15. I had read the very disappointing reviews before we left and came very close to changing our travel plans, however as we were two families of 4 travelling together the group vote came down to 'let's just see what happens'.

The rooms were not that great...-the view from them was stunning. We had to get someone up to the room to put something in the drain for a bad smell in the bathroom and sharing a tiny room with 2 kids meant you had to be very tidy to say the least. Yes the beds were a little small and hard but the truth is it's Mexico and our North American standards are sometimes so high they set us all up for disappointments even in our everyday lives.

We had breakfasts included in our stay and were all impressed with the food and selection, some of the best omelettes ever. It is good thing that the cocktails were cheaper than anywhere else because they could use a little work, I suggest walking across the bridge to the Felix for the best margaritas we had in Mexico. The front desk staff were very friendly, funny and helpful.

The best part about this hotel is the location and the beach, we visited beaches of other hotels and they were all crowded and not as nice, our beach was over taken by the tide but while we were there this did not interfere with our day lounging. Perhaps it was due to all the recent bad press but the hotel was not over run with tourists, you did not have to plan your morning by getting up early to claim a spot on the beach. The kids loved the snorkeling right from the beach, there was even a lot of life on the bridge posts.

I do believe that I can be picky and have high standards, but it all boils down to letting go of the things your not impressed with and embracing the positive points. All of the people in our family were happy when we left and enjoyed our week on the island.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
12  Thank Meli-D333
Reviewed January 21, 2014

The Island is great and the island at the tip of the island is even greater. Shallow sand areas for safe kiddie play.
If only a company that cared about the property or the owners or renters ran it.
The place is falling apart, with no maintenance to speak of.
The food, abysmal.
Cleanliness? Forget it.
The only reason it get 2 balls is because of where it is. Go look at it, but don't stay there.
Sorry

Room Tip: No good rooms
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family