“Relax and enjoy!”

Mia Reef Isla Mujeres
Ranked #6 of 37 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
Reviewed November 21, 2012

The island itself is very nice and the club's location is fantastic! We stayed in a 2 bedroom unit in the tower, and we really enjoyed the ocean breezes. The staff were really nice and accommodating. The food there is just okay. We really enjoyed walking the short distance to the downtown shops and restaurants. We felt very safe here, even at night. We will definitely return next year.

• Stayed: October 2012
2  Thank John I
RicardoAlarcon, Gerente at Mia Reef Isla Mujeres, responded to this reviewResponded December 7, 2012

Dear Guest:

Thank you to take your time to write your comments about our property, by people like you worthwhile endeavor and feel the reward of our work,

Thank you for believe we have the potential, all the staff are working hard to improve our service,

Will be very happy to serve you in a near future,

Sincerely

Reviewed November 20, 2012

I bought a deal from Groupon to stay here over the summer and was very excited after reading the good reviews and seeing the pictures. It ended up not being worth even the discounted price. The front desk staff made it clear I was not a top priority once they saw I used the Groupon. They were rude and not helpful at all. The villa I stayed in had a broken air conditioner, and the room safe had the lock drilled out and was therefore useless. The front desk's way of fixing this was to have the maintenance man turn the AC down (made it worse) and have the maid leave us a note saying the hotel isn't responsible for thefts if we don't lock our stuff up in our broken safe. The grounds are a mixture of run down and nice, you can tell this wasn't a nice place but whoever bought it spent some money fixing it up, but not nearly enough. Even if I end up getting another coupon to this place, I won't be returning.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Alex W
RicardoAlarcon, Manager at Mia Reef Isla Mujeres, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2012

Dear valued Guest

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding our
hotel. I am certainly disappointed that your stay was not all that it could
have been.
I would like to apologize on behalf of the hotel and its team for your stay.
The interaction with our staff member with regards to your comments about your bad service experience is certainly not typical and I will be sure to raise your experience with our entire service team as a training exercise,
Once again please do accept my apologies and I do hope that the remainder of your trip to Isla Mujeres was most enjoyable.

Yours sincerely

Reviewed November 15, 2012

The scenery was amazing, the water beautiful, the waiters and attendants were awesome. They are working to upgrade. We stayed in the end tower room with new hot tub. Was a welcome change from our previous stay. We own a timeshare and while we have lost some perks you can't beat the relaxing, beautiful view.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Karen C
Reviewed November 15, 2012

Avalon Reef is perfectly situated with spetacular views. The aminities are all there; beaches, bar, restaraunt, pool, snorkeling, etc. It is feeling the down-turn in the economy like, just about, everywhere else. But all in all we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank David M
Reviewed November 15, 2012

Studio villa large and bright with great balcony. Beautiful views of sea and sky everywhere. Everything worked fine. All special requests such as a reading lamp were answered promptly. Beds were hard. We slept well with the sound of the surf. Very quiet private location with lots of great restaurants just a few blocks away. Good dive and snorkling tour available on site. Sand beach is small but other beaches close by. Front desk needs to give more information about guest facilities and services such as wi-fi access. I would recommend improvements to bar drinks. The pina colada tasted like a bottle mix from home. They should use fresh ingredients. We enjoyed our visit and feel it is a good value.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank jan71_10
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Avalon Reef Club certainly is the best location on the island! I bought into the timeshare in 2001. The first few years were just perfect with tons of guests, excellent service and amenities. After the turn in the economy, and swine flu- tourism had slowed down here. I agree, things have become a bit worn down with the salty air- but you can make it work for you.
The grounds are kept up perfectly. Workers are out there all day long. The pool was closed for construction. This is the off- season, and the opportunity to fix it up. No big deal. Same with the spa. With limited number of guests, it didn’t make sense for them to keep it open this time of year. This is why I wish more people would vacation at Avalon.
The fitness center unfortunately was in the same condition as last time I was there 3 years ago. The machines don’t work. So I got my cardio by running around the island (awesome!) and swimming. The free weights are fine, as is the weight machine.
The beach indeed is small- but we didn’t mind. North Beach is a short walk so if you want expanse- head there. Every time I’ve stayed at Avalon, that’s what we did. But this year I truly appreciated our little beach because the water to the left of the bridge was deeper for more fun swimming- and awesome fish to see! They swarm around you, and it’s so much fun. You don’t need to go anywhere special to snorkel- do it right there! And we just had swim goggles, which was sufficient. You can rent snorkel equipment on site if you want it. There were parties of tourists boated over to Avalon to snorkel right where we were.
Isla Mujeres is not a fancy island. I’ve stayed in other hotels and you will have moisture. You will have ants. It’s the tropics! So put your food in baggies and wash your dishes after you use them. When we did that, the ants stayed away. Internet service in the rooms is provided by a third party company, so knowing this is a need for guests, Avalon made it available to guests in the lobby and bar. There’s something fun about taking your laptop to the open air bar and sitting at a table with your snacks or drinks.
We found the breakfast buffet to be excellent. If you don’t need the full blown buffet experience-the regular breakfast menu is great at half the price. There are tons of great restaurants on Isla, so we ate all our dinners away for variety.
I don’t know who posted about moldy chairs- ours were plastic- which were fine. The mattresses were firm. So know that going into it. The showers are huge and can fit more than one! Leaving a deposit for a safe is no biggie. If you understand that this is a small Mexican island, you will appreciate the many things do make it special. The people of Isla are wonderful, and the service is actually quite good at Avalon. Sometime you just need to ask.
Armando did a great job engaging the guests in activities. Again, it was off season, so he didn’t have much to work with. We had a blast with afternoon trivia and volleyball games. The staffs was very accommodating and make the guests feel comfortable and special. I had my 13 year old daughters with me, and they took good care of their needs- internet, snacks, soda’s.
So give Avalon Reef Club a chance! Perfect location. The villa’s are the way to go.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank andi2wins
Reviewed November 6, 2012

This hotel has a great location facing perfect beaches but its facilities and services do not match its setting. The pool was closed, beach facilities were poor, basic room facilities were missing and had to be asked for (bedside lights, towels), the balconies were furnished with rotting wooden chairs and internet acces was charged at five dollars per 20 mins. Room safe keys were only proivided on payment of a 100 dollar deposit. Overall, the hotel was rather shabby. We were told the ownership of the hotel is in transition and it strugglkes to work out whether it is the time share it was desgined to be or a hotel offering acceptable levels of service.

Room Tip: Top floor suites facing the sunset
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank hkroverSomerset
RicardoAlarcon, Gerente at Mia Reef Isla Mujeres, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback. We deeply apologize if your stay with us was not a perfect experience

Starting with myself and all my colleagues and managers, we are disappointed to have not met your expectations during your stay with us.

We'd like to tell you, we have free service internet in lobby area, pool area y restaurant area, sorry for missed the information on your stay in our hotel,

I hear all your comments, and certainly we will take seriously your feedback and see possibilities to improve and make sure your next visit will exceed your expectations.

Yours sincerely