“Terrible customer service” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #7 of 38 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
Vladimir, Russia
“Terrible customer service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2012

I want to tell you about my experience with this hotel. I've wrote there several times, asking about rooms, wi-fi etc.
Maru Magdaleno (reservations manager) answered my questions really quick. He couldn't offer me suites to book, but I've found them on the OKtogo cite. Made a booking there without any problems, and I've got 2 booking numbers - one from OKtogo and one (allegedly) from the hotel.
Being a bit uncertain about this booking I've asked Maru to confirm my booking. Asked him two times, waiting a week for a relpy. Guess what? Not a single reply from Maru or anyone else from Avalon Reef. I can assume that there's a problem between Avalon and OKtogo about overbooking their suites, but definetely that's not the way of doing business - they could at least write me a few words about it. Extremely poor customer relations, keep that in mind while thinking about booking that hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank DrWinter P
RicardoAlarcon, Gerente at Mia Reef Isla Mujeres, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Dear Customer:

We understand how you feel and regret what happened, unfortunately there was a misunderstanding on the part of the travel agency, who should have communicated with you,
Today we talked with the agency and hope that at any time to contact you to explain what happened,

We certainly hope you will decide to visit us in the future, thus giving us a chance not only to comply with, but to exceed your highest expectations

if there is any other thing that can help you, please feel free to contact me at email ralarcon@avalonmail.net

Best Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (460)
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
West Des Moines, Iowa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

Upon arrival we found that only one restaurant at the Hotel was open and apparently the property is being sold and will no longer be an Avalon property, I think this is why the spa is closed as well as the other bars (swim up bar was closed too). Maintanence was needed on the exterior but the rooms were nice, somewhat small but nice. The Hotel rooms themselves overlook the Caribbean Sea to the east of the island with a fantastic view of the waves as they hit the shoreline, this made up for the rock hard beds. The food was average at best but luckily it is a very short walk to local restaurants in town, I recommend Don Chepos, great food and low prices!! The staff was very friendly and courteous especially the housekeeping, they did a great job. Overall if it was staying the Avalon Reef Club I would visit again.

Room Tip: Try the suites, they have more room and more privacy.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank kparkins22
RicardoAlarcon, Gerente at Mia Reef Isla Mujeres, responded to this review, October 20, 2012
Dear Guest:

Thank you to take your time to write your comments about our property, by people like you worthwhile endeavor and feel the reward of our work,

Thank you for believe we have the potential, all the staff are working hard to improve the building maintenence and our service,

Will be very happy to serve you in a near future,

Sincerely
Costa Mesa, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

My hubby and I stayed here in 2010! We had a huge room with 2 balconies. It was so amazing. It was super windy when we went, which sucked... but the food and drink made up for it! I loved how secluded we were.. The hotel had good amenities, which we didn't use cuz we were on our honeymoon .. lol. We laid out, ate,drank, etc...

Room Tip: Don;t stay in the main tower, stay on the seperate tower.. I think the rooms are bigger
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kasey G
Dear Guest,

thank you so much for your kind words. It is so overwhelming to read about experiences like yours. Thank you for giving the Reef the chance of showing you Isla Mujeres and be part of your vacation experience,

Please let us know if you are planning on comming back, we would love to help you book your trip
Sincerely
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012

We purchased a voucher for 4 nights and 5 days, inclusive of breakfast (- which was awesome I should add), at this wonderful hotel. We stayed here the last week of August 2012.

Our stay was in one of the 'villas' rather than the actual hotel. The grounds of this property are immaculate. I was born and raised in North Miami Beach and my dad was a chef at the Fontainebleau Hotel in Miami Beach in the 60s so I have seen some nice hotel properties. My new bride and I were very impressed with the attention given the plant life and the beaches here.

Our villa was facing the sea, rather than the Cancun side, and the view from our balcony was spectacular. The beaches were clean, the sand soft and the water clear and warm... what more could we want? The beach chairs and other facilities were maintained nicely. The pool was very comfortable and fun - although the swim up bar was not open during our stay as it was late in the season.

Our room was very spacious and the bed was large enough for 4. It was sort of funny.

The hotel staff we interacted with were ALWAYS friendly, engaging and helpful.

You could walk into town, or Playa Norte in minutes.

The snorkeling is so excellent that many boats come each day, anchoring near the hotel, so that their passengers can experience the abundance of sea-life there too.

Mundaca Divers - a very professional yet fun group of water enthusiasts - are on the property and besides their obvious talents at dive trips and whale shark excursions, they were a great resource for places to eat and other sights to see. They really made us feel at home. I elaborated on our experiences with them in another review.

Our villa room - the bed was very large, as previously mentioned. It was also hard... not very comfortable. It was fine the first couple of days but by the third day we were both having a harder time sleeping through the night. Our solution was to go harder all day so we were more exhausted at bedtime. Beds, and their comfort level, are very subjective so don't take these statements as "negative". I am simply stating they are not high-end and leaving it at that.

The air conditioning was suitable and we were there in late August... the hottest month of the year. Just keep drapes pulled, doors closed and ceiling fan on - you'll be fine.

The toilet didn't flush very well. I have seen this mentioned in other reviews too. It really seemed like a water pressure thing more than anything else. Having lived in places where this is an issue I knew what to do so here's my tip for hassle free flushing at Avalon Reef - fill the ice bucket, or something similar, with water and take that in there with you. When you flush, pour the bucket in and presto - no problem. Is it "ideal"? No. Fun? maybe. We decided it enhanced our experience.

Speaking of enhancing our experience... we had little visitors in our lovely villa too. There were tiny, tiny little ants in the room off and on during our stay. They weren't really intrusive and, as I previously stated, I grew up in South Florida so sharing space with insects isn't something I am unfamiliar with. Basically, they were in the kitchenette area and we simply kept what little food we brought to the room put away and cleaned up. Insects are a part of life in the tropics.

Lastly, I'd like to give a shout out to ARMANDO. This guy is the absolute best. If you are old, like us, you remember a show by the name of "The Love Boat". I couldn't figure out why, every time Armando was around, I was thinking of that show. Then it hit me; Armando was like all of the characters - Isaac the bartender, Gopher the purser and Julie the cruise director - all rolled into one! We are not ones to 'join' groups of strangers and participate in things... generally preferring to do our own thing... but Armando was so enthusiastic and persistent he wore us down and we ended up participating in many of the events he put on. The list includes; Salsa Dancing, Karaoke singing, Beach Volleyball, Movie Song Trivia and playing Black Jack. He really works it and clearly love entertaining. We miss him most of all!

Bottom line... give this place a chance. You won't be disappointed!

Room Tip: Villas, on the side facing the sea.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank AlejandroMadera
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012

My husband & I just returned from our stay at the Avalon. We have been to Isla Several times but this was our first stay here. All though our room in the tower was small & nothing fancy, it worked for us. The only thing I really wished we had was a balcony.

We really enjoyed the breakfast Buffett with fresh made omelettes and pancakes. Armando, the entertainment guy was low key and we had a great time playing texts hold em with him on a rainy afternoon. We also enjoyed karaoke & live music two of the nights we were there but were a bit bummed that they ended so early.

The pool & beach were great & we'll be back.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank Snlk
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2012

as long as you know you are staying in an older resort type place.. this place is fantastic.. the private island and views and water makes it totally worth it.. and the villa rooms are quite large and relaxing! front desk people are quite friendly!

Room Tip: Villas all the way..
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Tommy D
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012

So I stayed in a hotel room not villa for almost a week. I was a little worried coming here after soo many not so nice reviews, but hey it's not a good vacation without any good stories!!

Getting there was a breeze, there was always a cab waiting and if it wasnt, it would show up at your call.
The staff was fantastic, never felt "unwelcomed" or anything like that. Just say Hello to them once in a while and you will feel wonderful.
The room was alright. You get what you pay for. It's a good room with all the amenities, I did miss a minifridge, would have been a little nicer to have a cold drink (not from the bar). TV was old school but had more channels than 4 star hotel i visited in Hotel Zone. Air conditioner was loud but it has a POWER OFF button for other people. There was one towel for each person, which I'm not used to, I like two, but I'm sure if I asked the cleaning crew they would give me more. It was not a big deal, Why put extra if people might not use it. The bed was faaantastic. It was firm, but that's how I love it. Pillows were very comfy as well.

Bathroom was ok, but what wasnt great was hanging wet clothes on a line and because of humidity in bathroom (no fan, no air coming out) it would take forever to dry, even with an opened door. I had to lay a towel on my bed put my wet clothes on it and air dry it in a room.

I did not eat or drink at the hotel, so cannot comment on that. Just wanted to experience the real food on the island.

There is a free of charge safe in a room, free wifi in a lobby.

The best part of this hotel is the beach What a beauty. Enjoed it every day and swam with fishies (not italian style). I wasn't used to the depth, so I did not swim as much (water comes up around your thighs). But it was wonderful.

This is a gem. I can't wait to come back here again.
Thank you!!