“A great vacation”

Ranked #7 of 37 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
Scranton, Pennsylvania
“A great vacation”
Reviewed September 25, 2012

We enjoyed a wonderful vacation at Isla Mujeres. We stayed in a villa at the Avalon Reef club. Our villa was comfortable, clean and attractive, plus the hotel grounds are beautiful. We enjoyed snorkeling in the lagoon and we loved scuba diving with Mundaca Divers, which is located on the grounds of the hotel. Staying at Avalon Reef Club was the perfect vacation; it feels like staying in paradise.

Room Tip: W atayed in a villa instead of the main building. It was very nice.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank travelgirl878
RicardoAlarcon, Gerente at Mia Reef Isla Mujeres, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

We would like to thank you for your feedback about your recent stay with us, being of the utmost importance for us and our main source to improve our facilities and service.

It's a pleasure to know that you had a good time with us and you will keep a good memory of Mexico and our Hotel.

Yours sincerely,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (516)
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
OKLAHOMA CITY
Reviewed September 20, 2012

Beautiful, the reviews made me hesitate too, but the pictures online looked too good. Was not dissapointed - way underrated. It is paradise on earth with snorkeling just steps away - villa rooms are gorgeous with huge balconies facing the ocean. Had one problem not related to hotel itself and Roxanne, supervisor, is working on that - will know in another month if it was taken care of. Hotel staff are very helpful. This hotel is on it own islet of white beaches and coral reefs.

Room Tip: Should stay in the villas facing ocean.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank HANNA959
Dear Guest:

Thank you very much for your feedback, it commits us to improve our services, customers like you help us to improve ourselves,
Please give us the opportunity, to serve you again in a near future, and
every day and remember that the Avalon Hotel is your home.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed September 18, 2012

I was very scared after I read the reviews. I bought this trip on a Groupon and was traveling alone for the first time.
It was easy to get to the island. I used USA for transfer from airport and back. They were easy to find, on time and a comfortable way to travel..
I arrived well before the 3Pm check- in ,but was shown to my room. Check in was quick. I was in my room within 20 minutes.
The room was very romantic, I had a studio overlooking the ocean. The lighting was not bright and the TV and reception were not great but that's not why you go on vacation. Phones did not work but that really wasn't a problem. The door to the room had seen better days. Safe was fine
Alonondro (forgive my spelling) of the entertainment staff was more of a host. He did plan activities but it was low key. If no one was interested he mingled with guests introduced them and made sure no one was left out. Play Blackjack in the afternoon you will have fun.
The bar was great! Cocktails were 2for1 6:30 to 8:30, breakfast was good, didn't eat any other meals at the hotel. There is too much variety of food on the island. Rent a golf cart, snorkle your heart out , just walk on the beach. Everyplace has good food! Good drinks!
Great vacation ! Don't believe all the negative reviews. This a beatiful hotel with great beach!
I'd go back in a flash.
Credit cards are not widely accepted. You can use your debit card to get pesos from the bank.
Dollars are accepted also

Room Tip: 2030 is great ,good view, private terrace and not too far from the main building
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank Katie V
Dear Guest,

thank you so much for your kind words. It is so overwhelming to read about experiences like yours. Thank you for giving the Reef the chance of showing you Isla Mujeres and be part of your vacation experience,

Armando our Entertainment Chief, is very happy and motivated with your comments,

Please let us know if you are planning on comming back, we would love to help you book your trip,

holidaychat
Reviewed September 14, 2012

This is a review I've been meaning to write for a while so it is actually from a stay in December last year. It was a fantastic stay. We stayed in one of the studios and really enjoyed it. The sunset in the evening was amazing as viewed from the balcony, the snorkelling at the back of the hotel was in a fun little natural pool, beach had beautiful white sand and water was crystal clear.

One night we ate dinner at the hotel, where they had set up small tables and candles along the beach which looked really romatic, and the food was GREAT!! Coconut shrimp and some really amazing fish. Breakfast and lunch buffets were also decent and tasty enough, same as any standard hotel buffet. The dinner -which we had on our last night - made me wish we had eaten there more often, rather than walking the short disance to the main street

The location is great, just a short walk to all the bars and restaurants. The staff could be a bit more attentive and the receptionist I found relatively unhelpful, but its not something that impacted my stay in any way.

Yes I would say that the rooms are frayed around the edges and the furniture is a bit older ad shows signs of wear, but it is really big and spacious and the balcony is big too.
To be honest I think it depends how fussy you are! We thought the room was fine and it didin't even occur to me to think twice about it, but we met quite a few tourists on the island who seemed to live in a bit of a bubble... having very limited understanding for anything at all that doesn't appear brand new or might not be exactly like they want it to be. I feel a bit sorry (and bemused) that a few cracked tiles or a harder bed than you would perhaps wish, have the ability to actually make some people unhappy during what is emant to be their holiday..
(and just to note, the bed was fine, I didn't find it uncomfortable at all, also I HATE loud Air con units so I would definitely complain if I found it at all disturbing but and this one was not! Was quiet and worked fine)

I have stayed in some pretty amazing 5*resorts around the world, but enjoyed my stay at Avalon just as much. Beause of the decor I can't give it 5* rating, but I found it great value for money (on boooking.com). We would definitely go back there and would recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: Go for a studio.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank holidaychat
RicardoAlarcon, Gerente at Mia Reef Isla Mujeres, responded to this review, September 16, 2012

BC
Reviewed September 13, 2012

good morning,
my husband and I are staying at the Club (time share) for 2 weeks in February to renew our wedding vows. Avalon doesn't have an email so I can't correspond with anyone about details.
I agree that better mattresss would be lovely...I remember having a sore back last time we stayed!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Member:

Thank you very much for your feedback, it commits us to improve our services, members like you help us to improve ourselves,

Please give us the opportunity, to serve you again in a near future, if you need member assistence, please contact vcislamujeres@avalonmail.net we will be very happy to help you on your next visit to your home far a away from home,

Lake Charles, Louisiana
Reviewed September 13, 2012

This was our 3rd trip to Isla Mujeres but our first stay at the Avalon. Upon checkin we were pleasantly surprised with a free upgrade to a studio suite. The view was absolutely gorgeous! Perfect sunsets every single night. The A/C worked very well. The grounds were beautiful and very well kept. The hotel staff were very nice and pleasant to deal with. We had to leave one day early and the front desk arranged a stay for us at the sister property in Cancun...Avalon Bacara. There was absolutely no charge for this change and they took care of everything! The Avalon Bacara is also beautiful with a wonderful staff. The only complaint is the beds at both hotels...very hard! This is the perfect hotel for a romantic getaway.

Room Tip: Book the studio...very private with gorgeous views!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank latisha g

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed September 12, 2012

My wife and I spent 3 nights in a villa at this beautiful property. The views were remarkable, the staff were very accomodating, and the island was full of adventure! I made a special request of the staff during a tour of the facility, and by the end of the tour Amilcar filled the request. For adventure, I would recommend renting a golf cart (if you like to do your own thing) for at least 24hrs (500-650 pesos) and touring the rest of the island, plan ahead and ask the staff what they love about the island and you can find some real treasures and fall in love with this place. Whether it is authentic mexican restuarants (Bastos) or beautiful cliffs with giant Iguanas (@South Point), this place is majestic.

Hidalgo street is Isla Mujeres' attempt at upscale downtown life- higher end restuarant prices for semi adequate food and shopping stores selling nicknacks (if that's what you are looking for). The real treasure is the restuarants near the port, or the boutique hotels that offer ammenities free if you eat at their resturant (Casa De Los Sueños Resort).

We had a wonderful time and definitely plan to return back to Isla Mujeres. The only thing I would improve at the Avalon hotel is adding pillow top beds. The only industry this island has is tourism, so the people are very kind, so recipricate.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Brett G
Dear Guest:
Please give us the opportunity, to serve you again in a near future, and
every day and remember that the Avalon Hotel is your home.