“Location Stunning, Rooms Basic but Clean”

Mia Reef Isla Mujeres
Ranked #7 of 37 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
Reviewed May 16, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Avalon in May 5-12. We exchanged a week of Interval timeshare and were given a one bedroom villa at Avalon. The villas vary - ours was hotel room sized without a separate seating area. We were on the second floor, overlooking the rocky coast of Isla Mujeres (east side). The room had a large bed, bathroom, ample closet space, a small desk, two chairs, fridge, microwave, sink, and a balcony with two deck chairs.

My first impression arriving at the Avalon was one of extreme beauty. The grounds are well maintained, the ocean is shallow and bright Caribbean blue, and I love the rickety wooden bridge that you cross to reach the property. The inside of the lobby was meticulously clean and the front desk staff helpful and efficient. We were shown to our villa and left to enjoy our vacation.

The room itself was basic and little down on it's luck, though spotlessly clean. The balconies on the east side are set up such that unless you walk out to the very edge, you only see ocean. No land, and no other villa balconies. It's an exceptionally beautiful setup and allowed us to feel secluded even surrounded by other villas.

As others have said, there were definitely things wrong with the room. We only had one table lamp, the TV let off a high pitched noise (we just unplugged it), the toilets don't flush all the time, and the microwave didn't work. We could have asked the front desk to fix all these and I'm sure they would have, but it didn't bother us. We spent maybe one waking hour in the room a day. The toilet issue is one that has more to do with plumbing in Isla than the Avalon.

I didn't eat any meals or have any drinks at Avalon, so can't comment there. Calle Hidalgo - the main street downtown - is a ten minute walk and has ample places to eat and drink. There is parking for golf carts at Avalon, but we walked everywhere without incident.

The beaches at Avalon are small but well maintained (beaches everywhere on Isla are small, even Playa Norte). I agree that the hotel needs a major upgrade inside and out to be called a five star hotel. It needs the upgrade to really live up to it's potential. That being said, it was perfect for us. We are adventurous travelers who spent little time in their room, and liked exploring the amenities of the whole island rather than the amenities of the hotel. Isla is ripe with excellent food, relaxing locations, and friendly people. Avalon was clean, basic, and had beautiful views. It was a win for us.

Room Tip: We liked our villa on the east side which had a uninterrupted view of the ocean, though lots of ligh...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank LemhiRG
There are newer reviews for Mia Reef Isla Mujeres

Reviewed May 13, 2012

We stayed here for two weeks, and had a wonderful time. We stayed in one of the studio villas - prompted mainly by reviews we'd seen - and were so glad we did. It was spacious, comfortable, and we loved watching the sun set from our balcony. The bed was also the most comfortable (and biggest) I've ever slept in.
The location is fabulous. There are snorkelling trips which go from the jetty which was outside our balcony, but when we realised that other snorkelling companies brought their customers to the Avalon's lagoon to snorkel, we stuck to our own backyard. So many beautiful fish, and I got a bit of a shock when a stingray shuffled past my foot in the shallows.
The staff were all very friendly, and it was nice to have cocktails and snacks delivered to our sunloungers. And getting fresh beach towels from reception whenever we liked was a pleasant surprise.
We felt we could have been given a bit more information when we arrived, e.g. menus for the restaurant, a tour or explanation of the hotel facilities etc, and some of the bathroom towels we received over the course of the fortnight were a little stained. The outside of the hotel also looks past its best.
But that wasn't enough to diminish our experience.
Glad we didn't get breakfast included as while the breakfast buffet was nice (we had it one morning), part of the joy of the holiday was having breakfast at the various different cafes on Isla Mujeres - so much good food on the island, enjoy!

Room Tip: Get a studio/villa for a balcony and small kitchen
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank smileykt
Reviewed May 4, 2012

We stayed at the Avalon Reef Club January 7th - 14th. After some of the reviews I read I was slightly hesitant to go here but all fears were short lived upon our arrival. The front desk was helpful and friendly. We had booked a one bedroom villa but ended up staying in the tower in an upgraded room. We travel with our adult disabled daughter and they had no floor level villas available. Our upgraded room was super!! Two bedrooms with 3 baths a small living area with a couch, chairs and end tables and limited kitchen with a smaller full fridge/freezer, kitchen sink, coffee maker, blender and toaster. The best part was the huge balcony with an awesome view of both sides of the water and a jacuzzi. The buildings are being maintained well now as they are trying to improve greatly. The food at the restaurants was good especially the buffet breakfast. Room service was prompt and efficient even when just asking for ice. The staff on the beach was right on the money with service. The beach is great for families with young children as it is crystal clear with shallow waters. As far as the water issues we read about in some reviews we talked to some locals there and found out that all their water is piped in from Cancun and when there is an issue with the lines the whole island can be without water. The showers had decent pressure and were warm no matter what time of day you showered. It is not a five star hotel if that is what you are looking for. But if you are looking for a down to earth, quaint, comfortable vacation it is a very nice place and we truly enjoyed our stay

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
10  Thank rettangel1990
RicardoAlarcon, Manager at Mia Reef Isla Mujeres, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

We would like to thank you for your feedback about your recent stay with us, being of the utmost importance for us and our main source to improve our facilities and service.

It's a pleasure to know that you had a good time with us and you will keep a good memory of Mexico and our Hotel.

yours sincerely

Reviewed May 1, 2012

Let me start by saying that we stayed in a 1 bedroom villa. What you essentially get is 2 rooms. They are the same size and the "bedroom" is the studio (bed, bath, kitchenette) they rent and the living room is a separate adjoining room that has a large sofa, table for 4, and a 2nd kitchenette. I use the term kitchenette loosely because they each come with a mini fridge, mini coffee pot, and microwave. They do not include any dishes, glasses, utensils, paper towels, soap, etc. To me, these are essential parts of a kitchen. You can get them, but as I found out after back dinner to our room, you need to "request" them. And the person who you can magically bring you these items was not working when we arrived on Sunday, so we had to eat grilled fish and caesar salad with our fingers. I asked to be compensated with a dinner and believed that I had been told I would, but when I asked about it the next day the woman (who was the same one that I thought had said yes) told me I could buy the meal plan not get a meal. We did receive the items we requested after making several requests-they brought a couple plates once, a couple plates again, 2 sets of silverware...they came in spurts. There was also black mold on the couch that they covered with a sheet for my son. I asked about switching rooms and they showed me a studio (we were in a 1 bedroom) and then showed me an empty 2 bedroom unit in the main building, but would not move us there unless we paid more money which we were not willing to do. FYI the 2 bedroom units in the main building look nice (still no dishes without requesting), but they are essentially 3 rooms with separate doors connected by a hallway which you exit through another door. This main door does not have a dead bolt which I was not comfortable with. So now that I've finished telling the bad things, here are the good. The bartenders at Kelly's Bar are so friendly and helpful. The front desk staff is helpful. All of the housekeeping and maintenance workers are friendly and helpful. The grounds are lovely even thought the buildings are deteriorating. King's Bath is nice. The locations is nice, but a bit farther out of town than I anticipated. We ended up renting a golf cart and just drove to the part of Hidalgo by Ixchel and walked from there. The kids were much happier. Maintenance issues other than the mold were addressed quickly. The pool area is small but nice and my son called the chairs in the pool a piece of heaven.

Room Tip: Choose the villas by King's Bath and have a list of kitchen items ready to hand them when you ge...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank ourarubafamily
Reviewed April 24, 2012

The hotel is in an incredible location. Surrounded by azul, clear waters, gently lapping waves and smooth breezes, it is the picture of tranquility. The hotel seems to be winding down due to slower economic times. The rooms are very simple, but ours was clean and suited us. We switched to a room with 2 double beds versus a king to avoid watching the workers outside our window as well as to have a view of the beach. The staff was helpful and very accommodating. The wifi was no bueno. We asked for a refund and got it. It is very spotty service. We ended up going into town to use it at the restaurants. Overall, we enjoyed the hotel and would visit again.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
11  Thank SiestaBeachGirl1
Reviewed April 20, 2012

The rooms don't have air conditioners just cool fan blowers. The windows dont open fully and the shower water did not drain. Also they charge nine dollars for an hour of internet. We asked to change rooms to one that does have ac and they simply gave me another room with the same fan cooler which does not even cool

• Stayed: April 2012
7  Thank segalt8
Reviewed April 19, 2012

Island is fabulous. Very clean, safe, friendly and beautiful. The resort reviews are all accurate but after a couple of days it just felt like home. Wonderful food and atmosphere down at the market place. Loved Fayne's for great service, food and prices. Rented golf carts and scooters a couple of days. Best snorkeling on the island is at the King's bath at the Avalon. Lots of taxis to take you anywhere you desire.

Room Tip: We had beach side in the tower on the 5th floor. Watch the sunrise outside your door in the am and t...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple