“Nautibeach-Paradise in Isla!”
Review of Nautibeach Condos

Nautibeach Condos
Ranked #1 of 37 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
Reviewed June 12, 2009

We recently returned from 8 wonderful days at Nautibeach! This is our second trip in two years and we are already planning next year's trip; IMO the best compliment you can give a resort.

This is a condo resort with individual owners. All decorated differently, with same floor plan. We req'd the same unit we got last year as we loved the location and ample patio, especially for our three year old. Thr grounds are lush, mature and upkeep is fabulous. Wonderful pool and beach - very hard to believe when you arrive that this peaceful oasis is five minutes from Hilago. We always meet great people when we stay here too, which adds to the appeal.

Condos include small kitchens w/frig, stove,blender, cups, coffeemaker, plates, etc along with unlimited drinking water. They are very functional with hair dryer and great, thick bath towels too. Beach towels also come with the room and there are plenty of beach toys left by other guests (including us!). Our condo was basic (this is not Villa Rolandi, nor do you pay the $$$), but very clean and there was nothing that we needed.

Very, very comfortable beds (impt to my husband!), great a/c, and FABULOUS staff. From the guard Javier that greets you with a smile everyday, the maids that clean well and cater to your individual needs to Katy, the friendly manager who takes care of all your requests. Laundry, golf carts, reservations at restaurants, advice about the island - just ask Katy and her staff and it will be taken care of immediately. And of course, the wonderful Fidel! He delivers the daily papers, will p/u groceries for you, etc - all with a smile. He, along with the rest of the staff, were so good to our son. When traveling with a toddler/family, the attitude of the staff can make or break a vacation and at Nautibeach they welcome you with open arms.

The beach in front of the condos looked great this year - double the beach of last year. Also, the pool was re-tiled as well and was always very clean. Sunset Grill is nearby too if you want a snack, drink. Always great service from all the guys too!

Wonderful food on the island too. I am going to write another review on the forum later w/restaurants,etc. I've been reading TA reports for years and it's play-it-forward time:)

Great condo, staff, location....already counting down the days till the next visit!

2  Thank travelkid
There are newer reviews for Nautibeach Condos

Reviewed June 1, 2009

I reviewed Nautibeach before, so be sure to compare this with my Aug 2007 posting (http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g150810-d258497-r8277194-Nautibeach_Condos-Isla_Mujeres_Yucatan_Peninsula.html). I won’t go into as much detail here. Bottom line is that it is a great place, in an excellent location, and the staff are wonderful (Buenos Dias Javier!!!)

I really do appreciate the style of the units, the pool, the on-site restaurant, the landscaping, and of course the location. I believe some or all of the units have gone through some upgrades. As such, in my last review I whined a bit about the beds. This time I found the beds to be excellent. Course I still jump in my sleep, even after a bottle of wine, so for several nights I got up and moved to one of the single beds so my wife could actually get some sleep. Even those were comfy.

In this unit (28), the TV’s worked. Keep in mind we’re not talking cable service…the main point is still the ability to just go pick up a movie from the office to watch if you really want. Again, we never did that. Best TV was right outside on the deck.

Which brings me to one of the reasons for my repeat of the 4 out of 5 score. The decks have zero privacy. Depending on the unit you receive, your deck will either “poke out” in front of the one next to you, or you’ll be in the one that is set back. Regardless, there is zero separation between them, so if your neighbors are outside enjoying the view, you’ll be enjoying it with them. Which is fine if you are doing what seems to be the common thing on Isla…traveling with a bunch of friends and/or family.

But if you are away with your significant other, and you really want some seclusion while you enjoy the sights and sounds, you’re at the mercy of whoever the office puts next to you. In 2007, it was a noisy, annoying couple, and I still recall the disappointment. This time it was mostly quiet due to the swine flu scare, but even then we had a couple next to us each night. They were nice enough, and if we were interested I’m sure we could have shared some over-the-railing laughs. But frankly, we weren’t. I just wanted to be with my wife and have some privacy. So, if that’s important to you, chances are you won’t get that here unless they decide someday to put up some type of tasteful privacy screening between the adjoining patios.

And this brings up the second reason why I won’t give a 5 rating…for whatever reason (I keep forgetting to ask), you cannot pre-select most of the units, no matter how far in advance you book it. This is very frustrating to me. Unit 28 was nice, but it was farther away from the better view, and it was a set-back unit, meaning our patio was in farther than our neighbor. This means that no matter where you sit on the patio, your vision will always catch anyone on the deck next to you. At least if you have a unit that has a more forward deck, you can actually “ignore’ anyone on the other deck, for what it’s worth.

You can however rent one of two “Veranda Condos”. These are on the 2nd and 3rd floor, and are located at the guard shack end. They have a wrap-around balcony. Unfortunately, I forgot to check these out. I believe the longer portion of the balcony looks out over the entrance area, with a mostly tree-obstructed view of the beach. The shorter side of the balcony looks out towards the same beach side that the other units face, but you’d be looking out over a small white building that sits directly on the beach. So while it would be nicer rooms I believe, and more deck privacy, I think you might give up a little in terms of the overall view. And these rooms are a little more expensive, but still a great deal.

OK, back to some comparisons from my other review. No loud disco issues at Calypso this time, so that was good. Also, the AC in our unit was more consistent, so no issues with on and off noise. They still have WiFi, but I believe it’s satellite, so don’t expect any speed races. I also like the fact that the pool is always somewhat shaded.

Unfortunately, the aggressiveness of the vendors was more intense than before, probably due to the swine flu scare. We went to Hidalgo exactly twice. That’s it. We never went into any shops there. We were too annoyed at the tactics. I guess these tactics work, but not on us. If you want our money, be laid back and let us come in and browse. No chance of that here. Still, we wanted to help because we knew business was down, so we did what we could. Just not on Hidalgo. We started a game where we counted the steps we could take before being hassled for something. We rarely got above 50. So for us, the fact is that any return trips we make will have game plans which will involve doing whatever we can to get around the vendors. Which luckily is not hard to do.

OK, probably some negative vibes here, so let’s summarize. Great place, great people (staff and locals alike…even some of the vendors). The office, grounds, and Sunset Grill staff are perfecto. A few could smile some more, but hey, this is not the Love Boat. Would we come back again? Of course. Nautibeach? Most likely, but has more to do with location and the staff than the rooms. There are a ton of great experiences to be had on Isla, and it’s hard to go wrong using Nautibeach as a base. Actually, if you never left the grounds and the beach, and ate at Sunset Grill, you’d still have a top-notch experience.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 22, 2009

Took my wife, 18 month old daughter and friend for 6 days. Had a great time. Can't say enough about the friendly staff, good service and nice beach. The grounds are big enough not to feel cramped but small enough to keep a personel touch. My wife wants to make it a yearly thing...so will probably go back again. There is a restuarant on the grounds which is ok, but you can find better fare in town (But it is convenient). My only gripe had to do with a rent a car company they reccomended called Buster rent a car who over charged me when i returned the car but that really had nothing to do with their service. Try it...you'll like it.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed March 22, 2009

Just back from a week at Nautibeach with 2 kids and girlfriend. I did a lot of recearch before booking and requested a 3rd floor condo and glad I did. I am fairly bilingual and had fun practicing my espanol. I was fully prepared for all the restaurants and locations on Isla.

The staff (especially Katy and Candelario and Fidel) were fantastic. We did get a very nice 3rd floor condo with view of pool & ocean as requested. They can't guarantee a unit but try hard to get you the one you request.

The condo has a few flaws but fixed immediately (no big deal). I would have to say Nautibeach has the best location on Playa Norte (pool and condo right on beach). This is the best part of Nautibeach and you can walk 1-5 blocks to all the great restaurants downtown or 10 minuetes to the Avalon reef for snorkling.

I think Nautibeach is a great value for the buck. Condos nothing special but this is Mexico and we did't spend much time in them anyway..

Pool big enough and warm. Towel exchange was good. Always nice beach and pool charis and umbrellas available before 10 AM.

Sunset grille is not owned by Nautibeach. I reserved a tiki torch sunste dinner and it was good but not great. Cost about $15 USD to reserve..

I only gave it 4 out of 5 stars because there probably are no 5 star hotels/resorts on Isla. Even the new Aluxes Privelidges would only get a 4 star from me because it is acutally located behind Nautibeach and not even on the beach..

Recommendations. Get a mapchick map, do Selvatica canopy tour, Isla Contoy, Avalon Reef, bring large ocean/pool rafts, do Mango Cafe, Olivias, La Lomita, Medina tacos, Bamboo, mearcado loncheria and juices, Rolandis on Hedalgo.

Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed March 13, 2009

I thought when I reserved this condo I had reserved it right from the Nautibeach complex itself.Wrong,I think that all of the units except the one we got are represented and run by the condo complex.We called the 800 number listed on the website for Nautibeach and spoke to a fella named Antonio Marchesin,we then booked a deal or we thought we got a deal it was 135.00 per night.Aparently we got onto Antonios website mistakenly because he has it set up that way.we thought we were on the Nautibeach website.He does not tell you that he does not have anything to do with the hotel.We booked for 9 days.When we checked in they gave us the key to number 16,not bad not a 4 star room. About 2 hours later at 11.00PM the manager said we were in the wrong room and asked us to change rooms.We thought no problem but then the manager informs us that the new room is not represented by them,all transactions are done by the owner Antonio Marchesin.They do not like Antonio at all they claim they have this problem with a lot of the guests when they see his room.We were really pissed off when we saw the room # 18 we were given to us.He has photos on his website that do not match the room we stayed at.You cannot rent movies from the complex because of the rift with Antonio also there is no cable service and any problems have to be dealt with Elisabeth.We just felt taken after we found this out,we felt stuck and theres not alot you can do about it. He only owns this one condo and were told it is for sale.The room has carpeting everywhere, it is really old and quite ugly.Not a lot you can do when your on vacation.Antonio has a girl Elisabeth who takes care of the place,she was great cleaned everyday left us fresh towels cooking utensils etc if it wasnt for her we would have left.The part that made us mad was how dishonest Antonio was,he represented himself as the manager of the condo complex,he is NOT.When you speak with him he cuts you off very quickly doesnt really answer questions head on.After we spoke to people at the complex we find out that Antonio does not show his face around,thats another story.I wont slander Antonio by what other people say its only hearsay.We never got to talk to Antonio, we dealt with Elisabeth.We got her to srike a better deal with Antonio for us,Antonio gaves $200.00 off the bill that took some of the sting away and Elisabeth said we could leave and get a refund but I did not feel good about getting a credit card refund.Overall the complex is great,nice pool, good beach nice bar at the pool and Myra the waitress at the pool bar is a really nice person,my wife is mexican and got along well wth her.I would go back again in a second I dont know if I would stay in room 18 again,it would have to be cheap.The room was really old and outdated but if you dont mind this and can book it for a good rate its a great complex to stay at.The thing that pissed us off was the real manager was polite but she did not care, it was not her problem and I can understand why she claims that this happens all the time.Just be careful when you deal with Antonio get everthing in writing.When we booked the room Antonio insisted we email a copy of my wifes drivers license and a photo of our american express card,this should have been a tipoff I have never been asked that before..This trip included roundtrip transfers from the airport to the ferry.When it was time to leave the driver never showed up at the ferry and we had to take a cab which cost us $50.00usdElisabeth told us to contact her so we could get a refund but we never heard back.One more thing there are lots of cats around the complex but they do not bother anyone,not a problem for us we are cat lovers,but some of the guests looked like they were not thrilled with cats. Like I said if you are not picky and want to stay in room #18 just be sure you know what you are getting for the money.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
orpnautibeach, Manager of the Owners Rental Pool at Nautibeach Condos, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2009

The Nautibeach Owner´s Rental Pool represents 30 condos. The confusion caused to this guest by Antonio's portrayal of #18 has occured many times. Although we try to assist guests in #18, they are not the responsibility of the Owners Rental Pool. We are very sorry these guests had problems with Antonio and #18. We sincerely hope they
will return to Nautibeach and rent through the Owner´s Rental Pool in the
future.

Reviewed March 6, 2009

Just returned from my 4th trip to Nautibeach on Isles Mujeres. Once again, the best find on the island. Great location on the North Beach. Great for English speaking Gringos. The staff is great, condos comfortable. Stayed in a corner unit this time, and the space was wonderful. The staff is very helpful, friendly, and always accommodating. I had not been back in 6 years, and its sad to see the new development on the island; the high rises that are now there. For such a small island, it is dismal to see the larger resorts being built that resembles Cancun. But alas, the town has kept its charm. Hopefully Nautibeach will remain. It is one of the jewels where quiet is valued. Nice to see the restaurant back up and running to full capacity, as well as, the pool bar. The beach in front of the condos is well maintained, with free umbrellas and chairs only for guests. Can't say enough about how wonderful this little island is.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 3, 2009

I hate to write a good review because other people will discover this great location. We spent 4 days at Nautibeach and loved it. It is one of the best locations on the Island, only steps from North Beach and town. The 2 bedroom condos were large and well appointed. For a family of 4 there was more than enough space. The pool was nice (a little chilly though), the bar convenient, and the beach couldn't be beat.

While you are there, make sure to rent a Golf cart to ride around the Island (the hotel can arrange this). You won't need it for more than 1 day since there is not that much too see. There a plenty of decent restaurants within walking distance. Make sure you go soon though. The Island is quickly being overrun by high rise condos and hotels, erasing much of the charm.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family