“WARNING SEVERE BEDBUGS”
Review of Poc-Na Hostel

Poc-Na Hostel
Reviewed August 20, 2013

BEDBUGS!! my boyfriend and I got severly attacked by bed bugs.
When I use to think 'bed bugs' id think a couple little mosquito size bites but no SO BADLY BITTEN ALL OVER OUR BODIES!
My boyfriend would of easily had a couple hundred bites THAT TURNT INTO WELTS/MOUNDS. Looking at him made me feel upset. We KNOW IT WAS BED BUGS because we didnt have a mark on us before sleeping and woke up absolutely slaughtered.
Told the staff who didn't care at all! She didn't even glance at our marked bodies and said 'we could change room if we wanted'.
So upset w how this was resolved :-(

We're not 5 star classy ppl either we're v appreciative and kind, I just dont want anyone else to have to go through w this.

Pros:
Good location
Cool hammock garden

Cons:
Cant swim at the beach its on there is a sign saying not allowed n isnt nice
Breakfast is only bread n jam
Staff are a bit careless

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank Emma P

Reviewed August 6, 2013 via mobile

I received my first hint of trouble when I arrived at this place after a night of travelling and very little sleep. It was about 8 in the morning and I was tired and weak, my backpack weighed heavy and I longed to reach my hostel and rest. I needed support, comfort and compassion.

Instead when I arrived I got dismissed looks from the receptionist, and when I eventually got her attention she bluntly told me that I would have to wait until 1pm before being able to check in. Half one? Jesus ok... I get it that they´re busy but she could have been a little more apologetic or comforting about it.

So I sat in the common area for some time. I noticed the guests started showing up and getting breakfast. I asked the recptionist where to get the cups for the coffee and was, once again, aggressively told that if *I* wanted coffee I´d have to pay for it.

Ok... so here we have a great example of how to piss off a customer right from the word go. Rather than spend 0.10c and help cheer me up after a day of hard travel, she acts confrontational and tells me to pay. The money of course is not the issue, but after that insult there´s no way I´m paying for a cup of cheap mass-boiled coffee.

When checkin time finally comes, after 5 hours of waiting in the dining area, rather than being defacto front of the queue like I was expecting, I am forced to wait for several groups of people who just happened to enter at the right time and catch the receptionist´s attention.

Then I´m, once again in a confrontational manner, told I need to fill in a form before I can check-in. I start to fill it out on the reception and in a bossy tone am told that I must go else where to complete the form as other customers need to be served. What??? What other customers? I look around at the empty salon in disbelief.

So I fill in the damn form, which wants to know a ridiculous amount of information for a hostel check-in, and then return to reception; noting privately that no-one so much as approached repction while I was filling it in.

I pay my fee, get my key, receive my sheets, which happen to be stained with blood (no joke, although I did not raise this issue with them) and without a pillow and pillowcase which I have to ´return at 9pm to get´... What??? And then after all that comes the icing on the cake, the massive list of rules and restrictions including no drinking alcohol bought outside the hostel and there is no fridge or kitchen equpiment availble to hostel gusets. The latter of which the receptionist waited until I turned up with a bag of sausages and lamb chops from the local super-market to tell me.

This hostel is an absolute disgrace. It is the worst place I have stayed in 14 years of travelling. Not because the location is bad or the rooms are particually dirty; but simply because their attitude towards customers is absolutely attrocious. What a disgrace, avoid like the plague!

• Stayed: August 2013
7  Thank SeasonedLuncher
Reviewed July 16, 2013

We stayed here a month back for a couple of days whilst in isla mujeres. Its a really cool hostel in a really good location with reasonably priced dorms (when you consider the prices of things on the island). The main beach is literally a 5 minute walk down the road as well, and I can honestly say its one of the nicest beaches i've ever been on. I've read a few reviews saying that the staff were rude, and although they weren't particularly enthusiastic and over friendly, I think saying they were rude is a bit of an over statement.

The thing I really didnt like about the hostel was that it was really strict on bringing your own alchohol or food in, which when your on a budget can become a bit of a pain, however there is a beach right behind the hostel (not good for swimming in because of the rip tide), where you can take your own alchohol.

The food there was pretty damn expensive aswell, and didnt look particularly nice, and the bar drinks were normal bar prices, once again a massive con. I should also warn anyone visiting isla mujeres for a relaxing stay with an early night sleep NOT to stay at this hostel! They blast music out at the little beach bar till 2-3 in the morning, which is good if your drunk, but not if you're sober, you will be up all night.

The final con about Poc na (although this depends on the readers opinion) is the large amount of hippies that seem to be drawn towards it, which I find slight ironic, as it is so obviously exploiting the lack of choice of other hostels on the island (even the water is expensive).

Room Tip: wear ear plugs. You can't escape the noise!
2  Thank mrmilkworth
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Im going to keep this brief and just list some problems I had with this place:
- Dirty
- Rude and unhelpful staff (apart from 1 girl who was very nice)
- Loud

- Isla is nice

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank jenny f
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Great base for exploring Isla Mujeres, although we didn't make it much further than the beach!

I deliberated quite hard on what to give this hostel - the atmosphere was excellent, but we did make the mistake of staying in a private room. Cramped, unclean and a pathetic excuse for a shower. After a couple of days I used the communal showers which were far better. As we checked out we found out that our air conditioning worked - would have been useful to know at the start of our trip!

The dorms looked wonderful in comparison, and we've heard good reviews since from other travellers. Other reviewers have talked about rude staff - we also found them a bit surly, but generally helpful.

Good stuff - enjoyed the live music every night; really friendly atmosphere; great communal area; good beach party; loved the free yoga and wish I'd taken up the free Spanish lesson.

I would give it a 3.5 out of 5 is I could...

Room Tip: Get a dorm, and pay for the larger bed
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Great setting and well laid out hostel, with lovely beach areas with hammocks (although you can't actually swim in the sea from there..). Staff were average but not overly helpful (nice barmaid though). Pain in the proverbial to have no kitchen and to have to pay quite a lot for water refills (which has been free almost everywhere else we have been). Poor breakfast. Its a definite party hostel, although the vibe is a bit too cool for school. Luckily we had a good room out the back which was away from the beach party and noise so this didn't worry us. We were less enthused about the people sleeping on couches in communal areas and breaking the apparent strict no drugs rule... Not for everyone, but will suit some people!

Room Tip: Ask for one out back, away from the beach party and communal areas.
Reviewed June 19, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at Poc-Na as the second place on my Central America travels. I wish I could have brought the place with me. I had a wonderful time there. The atmosphere is great and the staff helpful. I would love to go there again.

• Stayed: September 2012