“The BEST food on Isla”

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed August 19, 2013

I love the food at El Charco. Deysi and Raul are the owners and are so nice, so friendly to everyone who comes in. He is the chef, and everything he cooks is so good. I LOVE his caldo do pollo (chicken soup). I have lived here for a long time, and it is still my favorite place for good Mexican food. You won't be disappointed.

1  Thank Norris2013

Reviewed August 12, 2013

I never fail to go away full & pleased. Raul is a master & Desyi the best..Chicken Fahitas are the tastiest I have ever had...
A great menu with a charming buffet of Desy's special papas & beans...In La Gloria...don't miss it if you visit Isla...

1  Thank IslaMujeresMaria
Reviewed August 4, 2013

My husband and I drove out to El Charco on one of the nights we'd rented a golf cart. As others have stated, it's in the La Gloria neighborhood and is super easy to find with the Mapchick Map. (Be sure and get one of these maps and you'll never have a problem finding all the great places to eat!!) We both ordered tacos. Once they arrive, the owner instructs you to come over near the kitchen to a counter that is filled with fresh toppings...everything you can think of from lime wedges, beans, rice, guacamole, pico de gallo, sauces, etc. Everything was homemade and so fresh. Simple meal, but very good! This was a fabulously priced meal at about $190 pesos ($15 USD) for two meals and two cokes. I think they opened at 7 and were not quite ready for us when we arrived around 6:45. So, we drove around the south end for a bit and came back. Friendly owners, clean restaurant and traditional food!!

1  Thank SLN23
Reviewed July 19, 2013

This is a gem of a place, located off the beaten track, and only open for dinner, but oh boy is it good. I highly recommend making the effort to get there. Only a 20 peso cab ride from El Centro.

Reviewed July 9, 2013

The owners are really nice here. My husband went in one night to get takeout for us (toddler with an early bedtime). I had the most amazing chicken soup. It had the perfect combination of lime and seasonings and plenty of chicken! My husband had some tacos which he says were pretty good, but nothing super special.

Deysi was super nice. She helped my husband with a few spanish words he was having trouble with and kept coming back to his table as he waited to make sure he was good.