“Great dinner”

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed March 30, 2013

Our first trip - highly recommend it. Awesome authentic Mexican meal. The only down side was the lack of communication....I don't know much Spanish so understanding the description of some of the new things I hadn't eaten took some time. Very quaint and will definitely return!

Reviewed March 23, 2013

Deysi and Raul (owners of El Charco) cook up authentic Mexican food that you just can't get enough of. HIGHLY recommend the chicken soup (caldos) - absolutely addicting!! Try their potatoes in the soup (available at the counter with the condiments - salsas, avocado cream, beans).
My husband and I go there a few times every trip to Isla.
We've eaten our way through the menu and haven't found something we don't love. I usually get the panuchos or tostadas.

Reviewed February 28, 2013

Cute little spot that is open 6:30 till late with great authentic Mexican food. Try the alambres and add potatoes, beans, pico de gallo, guacamole. Large servings for a small price. And cleanest restaurant in town. Desai is a charming hostess and is patient with English speaking guests! And Raul is a great chef and a funny guy! Don't miss this quaint spot!

Reviewed February 27, 2013

My wife and I enjoy El Charco every time we visit the island. I have never met another couple that make us feel so at home. Best food on the island and if its not on the menu they just might make it for you! They makes us some of the best french fries! Take the time to find it, it will be well worth it!

Reviewed January 11, 2013

It took us a bit of searching but this great little restaurant is worth it! We drove around in the daylight to make sure we knew where it was and then returned in the evening for dinner. The freshest ingredients available make up the dishes here and if they can't get it fresh, they don't serve it. Prices are very inexpensive compared to restaurants on Hidalgo.

The four of us ordered our usual guacamole and an order of nachos as starters and got full plates of nachos piled with meat, beans and cheese along with a large servicing of guacamole and an extra basket of fresh made chips. Both were great, but improved upon by adding to the plates from the salsa bar on the counter. Several kinds of salsa, sauces, beans and potatoes sit in bowls up on the counter for you to help yourself. All were tasting and ranged from HOT to mild.

Both couples ordered the Alambres to be shared... one couple chicken, the other steak and both were totally delicious! We were really glad we decided to share as we could barely finish our meals (but we did!).

The restaurant sits up a half flight of stairs and its fun to watch the neighborhood happenings in La Gloria. The service was great, the food outstanding and I know we will be back there before this trip comes to an end!

1  Thank karenkaye