“Always good!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Soggy Peso

Soggy Peso
Ranked #21 of 201 Restaurants in Isla Mujeres
Cuisines: Mexican, American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Dining on a budget, Scenic view, Bar scene
Dining options: Drinks, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Houston, Texas
“Always good!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

Been going here for about 5 years now and every time I am pleased. Whether it's great food or drinks, I'm never disappointed. The atmosphere is fun and the owners always make sure you're having a great time!

• Visited July 2013

Plainfield, Illinois
“Best and Most Unique dining experience on our Cancun trip.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

The kitchen is barely 6x6 but the food coming from it was AMAZING! I'd heard of the Soggy Peso from some Parrothead friends and when I mentioned it to our hotel concierge and other locals - they appeared amazed as if I'd uncovered one of "their" hidden gems.

The Soggy Peso isn't your touristy bar . . . it is a 100% authentic Mexican Beach Bar with a love of the locale and the tropical lifestyle. The bar is tucked behind a home on Isla Mujeres. The beer is cold and it comes quick. We were joined in the bar by regulars who took no time making us feel at home. We were early and waiting for the kitchen to open - it was Crunchy Taco day and the regulars were telling us we were in for a treat. We waited snacking on chips and fresh guacamole - SO GOOD! More cold beers and finally our tacos! They bar offers chips, salsa, guacamole and ONE Daily Food Special. Crunchy Taco day was a absolute hit with our group of foodies and finicky eaters.

The bar is set up in a nice little tiki hut complete with full bar, bar stools, high top tables, and a litany of local animal/wildlife guests. Feel free to wander and explore the property and be ready for a good time, good conversation, and good food - ALL at a reasonable price.

Don't expect a Senor Frogs or high end prim and proper beach bar catering to tourists. This is the real McCoy and worth your time. If heading to Isla - HEAD TO THE SOGGY PESO!
When arriving at Port get a golf cart and head south about 5 miles - it's on the right hand side of the street and there are a couple of signs though easy to miss. The Locals know of it and how to get you there if needed.

If I knew then what I know now . . . I would have spent my entire day on Isla at the Soggy Peso. My biggest regret was not getting back there before we came home. CHECK IT OUT!

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank mjeischen
Bangor, Maine
“So much fun”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

We heard about the Soggy Peso here on TA and couldn't wait to try it. We went our first night for the hot wings special. Each day they have one food item and Wednesdays its the wings. They were great! This is a tiny little open air bar under a palapa, with hats from all over the world hanging up over the bar. We sat at the bar and had great service. My daughter and I ordered margaritas and Jim had a Sol. They put the Sol bottle in a coozie for you to keep it chilled. The margaritas were fantastic so we split a second one... potent! The wings were not too hot and were served with additional sauce for dipping to up the heat factor. We ordered 2 baskets of 10 wings and had to go in for a third basket, they were so good!
We stopped again our last day, Saturday, for one more round of margaritas and tried the shrimp tacos. Excellent!
Can't wait to head back in August!

“Hidden Gem of a Place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

The Soggy Peso is one of those “hole in the wall places” that makes you feel like you're at home dining out with friends. Their menu changes daily, but no matter what they serve the food is just great. You have to go there, especially on Sunday afternoon, when they serve their barbeque plates. It is out of this world and believe me I do know my barbeque. The meats are so tender and juicy they just fall off the bone. They, as most knowledgeable barbeque cooks know, only use charcoal (carbon in Spanish), as there is no substitute for the smoky flavor it imparts upon the meat. The prices are very inexpensive compared to other places in Isla Mujeres. They are not located in the downtown metro area, so ask around or you may never find this hidden gem!

Saint Charles, Missouri, USA
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

We usually make Soggy Peso one of our routine stops when on the island. We have always had a great time in the past, however this visit was different. Usually the staff s friendly, and talkative. This visit they didn't stay behind the bar, but instead stood outside the bar conversing with the other workers making it difficult to get a drink. We probably won't return for a fifth time.

Sally and Mal R, Owner at Soggy Peso, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Wow, did you screw up! Had you been up front with us, and discussed your issues with me or Freddy, we would have comped your drinks.