“Exciting fusion menu and stylish, refined dining room”
Review of Limon

Limon
Ranked #6 of 218 Restaurants in Isla Mujeres
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Enjoy fine dining at Limón in an itimate atmosphere in our beautiful courtyard or elegant interior dining room. Reservations required.
Reviewed September 20, 2013

In the heart of the La Gloria neighborhood on Isla Mujeres is a stylish, refined restaurant called Limón that offers a very exciting menu. The owner, Sergio, used to have an establishment on La Playa Norte (North Beach), amid the hustle and bustle of "downtown" Isla. At this location, on Calle Lizeta, he offers a quiet refuge with a lovely dining room, as well as a relaxing outdoor courtyard patio that in the evening with its subtle lighting is quite romantic.

The menu is extensive. There were so many wonderful selections that we were already planning our next visit before we finished our meal. And the presentation of the food on the plate was quite artful. We ordered the tuna tartare which came in an elegant piece of stemware that resembled a martini glass on steroids. The dish was accented with a sauce of soy and cilantro. We then tried the mussels au gratin with a Roquefort cheese hollandaise sauce. Then we moved on to Sergio's hibiscus tacos filled with hibiscus sauteed with onion and cilantro and served with a tasty dark, sweet Mexican mole sauce drizzled on the top of the tacos (my mouth starts to water just writing that). Everything was full of flavor and beautifully served.

Here are some other dishes that are going to pull us back sooner rather than later. Shrimp sauteed in spicy sauce with rice and vegetables, glazed pork tenderloin, chicken satay with peanut sauce, spice shrimp with tequila, beef carpaccio with caper dressing and seared tuna wraps of finely sliced tuna marinated in sesame vinaigrette and cooked in lime with soy sauce and cilantro.

The menu goes on and on, and there are extensive offerings for vegetarians as well. And finally there is Sergio. A wonderful host. Since it is off season here now, it was a slow night, and we were there much earlier than most locals eat. So we got to spend some time with him. He made us feel like we were at a friend's house, a friend that just happened to be an outstanding chef and restauranteur. If you find yourself on Isla and do indeed visit Limón, you may find yourself planning your next visit before you leave the building like we did.

2  Thank Tufduty

Reviewed September 19, 2013

This was our last dinner of our trip - and how unfortunate for us because I would have eaten here every night if I could have!
We walked up and it was right after a pretty bad rain, so the island was quiet as was the restaurant - we were warmly welcomed by Sergio who turned out to be one of the most charming people I have ever met.
The food was to die for. We had the tortilla soup and the avocado and tomato salad to start, I had the shrimp with the 3 pepper sauce and my fiance had the ribeye with the same sauce - we both are fans of heat, so this seemed perfect. Our food was cooked to perfection, and Sergio grills right there in front of you. For dessert we had a beautiful and delicious sort of pineapple foster. It was pretty much life changing.
We were lucky enough to have Sergio sit down and spend several hours enjoying cocktails and trading stories. I cannot wait to go back to Isla - I will definitely be back to Limon, and next time I am going to see if I can convince Sergio to make me some of his famous guacamole :)
Sergio, Thank you for a perfect meal and wonderful memories! Your restaurant is beautiful and your food is divine!

1  Thank KCline41
Reviewed September 17, 2013

YES! ..... Sergio is THE consummate host. He made our party feel like family comeing to his home for a personal occasion. A lovely/intimit courtyard indeed. Everything was exceptionally clean and elegant. The actual food however, to my taste, was somewhat disappointing. To call this a "vegetarian" restaurant is not close, even by a long-shot. Meat dominates the menu by FAR. Not bad if that's what yur into, but if you really seek meatless, be forewarned the big BBQ smoker is RIGHT THERE just a few feet away from your table, and it's MEAT CITY! So be it. I ordered a vegetable tempura appetizer, and found it flaccidly flavorless except for the burning wasabi. The tuna steak was dry and completely non-descript though I requested a robust "cajun" grilled. My friends were all very happy with their assorted beefs. I thought the whole thing was over-priced, though comfortable, and Sergio was in d'end, delightful.

1  Thank EmitPantac
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Prior to our visit to the Island I had read that this restaurant was a must try and they were right. My fiance and I met another couple at our resort & they joined us and all of us loved this restaurant and having a chance to speak with Sergio. It was quite the journey to get there but once we found it it was worth the journey. We had the mussels au gratin which are a must and a party in your mouth. The tortilla soup was amazing. My fiance and I split the steak and then the other couple 1 had the lobster sergio and that was wonderful and they had the pork chops. We had a glass of red wine that was great it was 1 of Sergio's personal favorites and strawberry margaritas which were great too. It was great just speaking with Sergio and learning more about him and his family and the island. It was a bit warm so my only suggestion would be to just add 1 more fan in the back and that would be perfect along with having Sergio cook for us everyday. We are from Chicago and Chicago is known for great food so we get spoiled with amazing food but Limon was wonderful. Cheers and enjoy every moment of this amazing experience. Thank You for the memories & delicious food & chat.

2  Thank Blunt1
Reviewed September 5, 2013

We had been looking forward to trying this restaurant, and it lived up to our expectations. Beautiful outdoor courtyard,excellent food, and a great host. My husband had the filet, and I had the tuna steak, both good choices. We shared a brownie with ice cream that was like eating brownie batter. delicious! We really enjoyed Sergio, and he answered lots of questions we had about the island and traveling in Mexico. We will definitely come back to his restaurant.

2  Thank Emily W