“My favorite restaurant on Isla Mujeres”
Review of Lola Valentina

Lola Valentina
Ranked #14 of 211 Restaurants in Isla Mujeres
Cuisines: Caribbean, Mexican, Seafood, Bar
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: For food lovers looking for creative Mexican and Caribbean using local and the freshest of ingredients. This restaurant puts out some of the best plates on Isla Mujeres. We also have lots of vegan and gluten free options. Stop by and taste the difference everyday 8am-qpm & 5pm-10:30. Smiling faces await to serve you!
Reviewed February 22, 2013

What can I say about this restaurant? Fantastic food!! I ate here 3 times duringmy visit.. The breakfast is soo delicious.. (Coconut french toast) and "the American breakfast, which had hickory flavored bacon, 2 eggs sunny(or ur choice /style) and potato hash browns which had a delicious, unique flavor all their own. I highly recommend this restaurant for any time/meal of the day

1  Thank Geri R
There are newer reviews for Lola Valentina

Reviewed February 22, 2013

We went to Lola Valentina on February 6th for dinner, party of 4. The restaurant has a nice ambiance, tables aren't crammed together and the menu looked good. 2 of us ordered chicken enchiladas, one had pulled pork, and the last had coconut shrimp. The service was ok, meals arrived in good time, but the food..... just tasteless. Bland doesn't quite describe it. The only thing with any flavor was the coconut shrimp, and that only because it was a little spicier to begin with. I mean it should be very difficult to mess up with shrimp anyways. And I should be able to get a good enchilada in Mexico, right? We found out the next day that about 20 minutes after we left 4 of our friends also ate there the same night, with the same end result - totally bland food. I would say the prices are about average for Hidalgo.

One of our party who had ate there last year, actually they've been going to the Island for 13 years, noticed that his favorite dish - macaroni with lobster? - was no longer on the menu. He quizzed the owner (and her name escapes me now) and she told him that you just can't find lobster this year. Yet, just a half a block down the street, another restaurant has live lobster in a tank? And any other restaraunt we went to with lobster on the menu was able to get lobster. He also mentioned to her that the food was tasteless "Oh, well I have a new chef, only been here for three weeks" Well, then spend a little time in the kitchen with him, and make sure he's doing it right!!

But, the real deal breaker for me was the live entertainment. There was a guy playing guitar and singing, had his little tip jar sitting in front of him. Now, he could play quite well, but he reminded me of one of American Idol's worst contestants in the vocal department. The kind where you just wish a friend or family member would just tell them to stop - you suck at this. Just stick with playing. Volume was a little too loud. All this I could have laughed at and tolerated easily, until he took a break from his set. We were all done our meals, just relaxing at the table and finishing our drinks, and out of the blue the guitar guy walks up behind me - I didn't see him coming - and literally shoves his tip jar in my face! Buddy, if you ever had a hope of getting a tip from me you just blew it!

We were disppointed overall, I had heard some good things about Lola Valentina - but I doubt I will be in any hurry to go back. We spent 18 days on the island, and ate out for dinner 16 nights, Lola's stands out in our memories, and not because it was an experience to rave about.

Service, value and atmosphere are average. I gave them a rating of 2 stars because of the food and guitar guy.

1  Thank islaaddict
Reviewed February 21, 2013

I chose it for my birthday dinner with friends. Abraham, our waiter, was very attentive. He brought the wines to the table for us to choose from. They had a Malbec, which my husband prefers and Abraham offered a special price on the more expensive ones for the occasion. The food was excellent -- chicken enchiladas in poblano sauce, pulled pork (lovely, unique presentation), shrimp are all recommended. More expensive than some places. Guitarist played (not too loud) during dinner and took requests from us. We had a lovely time.

1  Thank Rhonda W
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Another great dining adventure on Isla! First, the interesting blends of margaritas caught my eye. Had to try the Watermelon Jalepeno, which was so good, I had another! We had the fondue for an appetizer (more like a DIY quesadilla, but very good). I had the chicken stuffed with jalepenos and cheese, which was wonderful. A great crusty, very different outside to the rolled chicken. Three others had snapper, which was the fish of the day. Everyone enjoyed their meal. Dinner was accompanied by a great musician singing and playing guitar, and we had a nice street view, which always provides entertainment. Definitely a place not to miss!

1  Thank jagbaby
Reviewed February 14, 2013

Not sure about this restaurant. My husband and I were in Isla in Jan./2012 and thought the food was not bad, but not real good either. For one thing we found it to be quiet expensive for it being quite new. We also had way too many people serving us! I found the place to be way too dark as I had a hard time reading the menu!
Not sure if I would go back or not.