“Nice place to spend a day . . . . .”

Captain Dulche's Museum
More attraction details
Owner description: Isla Mujeres Museum Capitan Dulche.This Museum is dedicated in loving memory of Captain Ernesto Dulche Escalante, founder or the 5th Naval Region (Isla Mujeres). Captain Dulche´s Maritime Museum treasures a big part of Isla Mujeres history, this is documented in a great photo collection of over 150 that have never been seen before. The Museum also contains an excellent collection of anchors, buoys, chains and lanterns, maritime tools and two projection rooms, showing one video of the famous mexican diver Ramon Bravo and the even more famous Jacques Cousteau. It also has the largest collection of model ships and metates in the whole mexican caribbean.
Reviewed December 27, 2012

For the cost of food/drinks you can have your own little palapa on a quiet lagoon. Very quiet and relaxing. Food is pretty good - nicely kept area. Wasn't busy when we were there which made it even nicer.

All reviews
"sea grass"
in 7 reviews
"golf cart"
in 27 reviews
"a great place to spend"
in 4 reviews
in 8 reviews
"pier"
in 23 reviews

Reviewed December 19, 2012

The museum was fun to go through. The bar area is cool because there is a huge ship in the center. The beach has a lot of chairs and the water is calm. There is a restaurant there that looked good, but I did not eat. The staff is very friendly! I went and had a few drinks and was the only person there so they did not charge me for the museum tour. Heard that is common... worth a visit.

Reviewed December 18, 2012

One of our favorite places on Isla Mujeres is Captain Dulche's Museum. We packed our snorkel equipment after reading a couple reviews that people have snorkeled here because we did not think you could. Unfortunately, the day we went it rained. We cowered under the straw umbrella wrapped in bamboo and managed to stay dry while relaxing in the beach chairs watching the snorkel boats bring people to pet the shark next door. There were several boats coming and going which made for great entertainment. Our waitor made us some really good drinks and we managed to have a great time even in the rain. We spent the night on the island, so the next morning was still too cloudy to try to snorkel but we made good use of their kayaks.

Reviewed December 17, 2012

PEACE & QUIET :-)
My favorite day, out of a week in Cancun, was the day we spent here. Again, it's not so much the museum, which was an interesting diversion as the beach club. (Take note Cpt. D. you should advertise as a beach club instead of a museum.)
I almost don't want to give a great review because the best part was the solitude. There's no one around trying to sell you a bracelet or cigar. No blaring music from down the beach. The staff is attentive, but not overly so. You can sit back with you bucket of Pacifico and listen to the ocean. My boyfriend and I went on a Monday afternoon and barley saw another soul. I suppose that's not great for them, but was perfect for us.
Also, the photo's that are up on here seem a little dated. It was much nicer and more modern than what you see above.
We had never heard of this place until we bought a wristband from the ferry operator. That was 100 pesos. I see on here people say that entry is free if you buy food or drinks, so check that out before you go.
All in all a great, relaxing, beach when you need need a break from the party in Cancun!

1  Thank MariposadelaNoche
See more reviews
Reviewed December 14, 2012

Very nice setup and it's all immaculate once you get down to the beach level. Free entry and use of the beach chairs, umbrellas, thatched-roof beach huts, and a great bar and restaurant. My little boy loved it all. The food / drinks were well priced, not expensive at all. We stayed most of the day, and it was so hot I must have ordered ten diet cokes just for me. They make their money selling food instead of the $60+ entry fees charges by Garrafon de Castilla just up the road. The food was amazing - seriously the best food we had the entire time we were in Cancun and Isla Mujeres. I sought out the chef to say thanks. Everyone else in the restaurant were commenting similarly.