“Take your fresh catch here”
Review of Mocambo

Mocambo
Ranked #105 of 239 Restaurants in Isla Mujeres
Cuisines: Seafood
Reviewed August 20, 2012

We went fishing in the bay and ended up with a yellow tail snapper, a grouper and several cudas. Our Captain asked if we wanted to eat our fish and surely we did. We had left from the pier at Mocambo and he told us that he would prepare our fish if we wanted.

Beltran, the Captain, asked how we wanted our fish prepared as we came into the pier. We knew that we wanted fish tacos and asked for his recomendation for another dish. We decided that the yellow tail would be made into tacos and Beltran recommended Tik n Xic for the grouper.

He cleaned the fish right on the pier as we sat under the canopy in the sand. After he cleaned the fish he took them directly into the kitchen and they prepared them as we wished.

They charged us for our sides which consisted of rice and grilled veggies. Since we had two fish to prepare in different dishes they charged us for three "salads" which where 65 pesos each if I remember correctly.

Never had Tik n Xic before and I have to say that this is probably the best fish I have ever had.

1  Thank ineedasol

Reviewed May 11, 2012

I ate at Mocambo twice during my 7 days on Isla. I had a delicious fish and scallop ceviche on the first visit. On the second visit, I had the grilled whole fish, which was the best thing I ate while on the island. The presentation is dramatic, but the flavor is subtle and wonderful.

The service was wonderful. You can sit on the deck or at one of the tables in the sand.

1  Thank giness
Reviewed March 14, 2012

We went for dinner to Mocambo tonight. Nice location, great service but the food was definitely mediocre. My sister and her husband started with the peel and eat shrimp which was fair, not the best. My husband got the seafood chowder which was okay but the broth had a burnt taste. I had a shrimp appetizer which was cooked in lime and other than being very spicy, which the waiter warned me about, the shrimp seemed undercooked. Each couple got the surf and turf which was lobster, steak and shrimp. It all was tasteless, the lobster tough and the steak dry. The wine was good but very overpriced. Our dessert was the crepes with creme cheese and chocolate sauce. The crepes were chewy, the creme cheese tasted sour and the sauce was not chocolate. Our bill was quite high for a very unsatisfactory meal, very disappointing. I would not recommend this place to anyone.

1  Thank chrisrond
Reviewed November 5, 2011

I had a snack here today, waiting for my ferry. The concierge at my hotel in the "zona" had recommended a different Mocambo location, but when I was feeling peckish and had time to burn and noticed this place, I had to give it a try. The restaurant offers plenty of variety, but I hoped for a lighter bit of 'nosh' to tide me over till dinner. Couldn't pick between the various ceviche's, so I asked for a mixed ceviche, and what arrived was a huge portion of shrimp, octopus, oyster, onions, cilantro, and lemon juice... a bit acid, but well seasoned and I could enjoy all the flavors. More than the snack I'd anticipated, but certainly good value for the money paid. The smoothie was also tasty. They also provided chips and dip, but I couldn't manage to eat that in addition to what I ordered! Service was adequate. The atmosphere was what you'd expect, in between boating docks/piers and the main island road, but the seating area was not cramped, and had good shade. I'd go back, if ever in Isla Mujeres again.

2  Thank TeaEarleGreyHot
Reviewed August 17, 2011

Also known as Lancheros Mocambo; it's located just north of the ferry dock. We went several times on our first visit to Isla Mujeres and loved it. Made a beeline for it when we got off the ferry this time and loved it just as much. Ate there several times this visit, too. The fish is wonderful (we've never tried anything but, yet). The fish Mayan style is outstanding; my husband ordered the conch seviche and ate every bit of the large serving. Tried the grilled shrimp and can honestly say they were the best I've ever had. The staff of servers was uniformly excellent. It's never been terribly busy when we were there, which is really hard to understand. It's a wonderful place for lunch or dinner.