“We knew what to expect”

Villas Coco Resort
Lebanon, Ohio
“We knew what to expect”
Reviewed February 29, 2012

Wow, I think the past two reviewers were there the same week that we were at the "Villas". The best way I can put this is everything they said is true, but we just loved it there. I read so many reviews before we booked that I felt I knew what to expect. I have to say the one thing is those fridges are awfully loud. We unplugged ours in the middle of the first night. Then after that we unplugged it before we went to bed. Not having the Jacuzzi filled was a disappointment, but not a deal breaker for us. I knew the beach would be a walk for us. I knew there had been complaints about the hot water going out. So when it happened to us. I kind of laughed. But I could because I had just had a shower and we were leaving the next morning. So if it had been every day I think that could have gotten old. The rooms were very nice and super clean. I have to say the beds and pillows were some of the most comfortable I have ever slept in on vacation. The place is super quiet. So unfortunately in the morning the island birds and dogs are a bit loud. But it beats hearing traffic sounds. I had hoped the golf cart was a little more available
and I think they have to stop promising that on their site. I feel in some ways this felt a little more like a bed and breakfast ( which by the way our friends run one and their rooms are more expensive and no where as nice). So kind of think of it as low key and maybe just plan a few nights there and you will really mellow out. We do not regret our stay and we loved talking to everyone at our simple breakfast. So go with simple expectations.

Room Tip: All the rooms seem to be the same. Ask about a hammock out on your porch.
1 Thank Janis S

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Hebrew first
Mascouche, Canada
Reviewed February 25, 2012

We arrived late afternoon, the road letting up directly to hotel is rough to say the least (even a bit scary at night). However, welcoming committee was great, large room, clean, hotel is promising. Room has a little kitchenette but no dishes, no utensils nor any real glasses (only in bathroom). We were able to take a good shower first night.

Waking up, NO HOT WATER. Went to the continental breakfast (not continental & no good, dried bread, tiny slices of fruit and microwaved coffee - one morning is enough). We were 6 couples complaining of no hot water, and this ritual went on every morning, with each new arrival it would seem you would get a hot shower the first night. Rooms have jacuzzis, but no hot water. We only got one hot shower in 4 days we were there (no jacuzzi - cold water) and we tried mornings afternoons, evenings and even in the middle of the night. Owner pretends not to be aware, but by talking with other guess (& staff) you quickly understand that they cut the hot water to save money. We were looking forward to leaving the hotel to get to a hot shower (and shave).

Hotel guess golf cart only goes to a few beach clubs nearby (within 1 km). There's a few beach clubs that are worth spending a day (we enjoyed Garrafon + Captain Norte, but expensive - better beach clubs at North beach). But far from restaurants, bars, shopping, north beach and any form of night life. Cab $10 to go shopping or breakfast or lunch or diner + $10 to come back. You can rent golf cart at hotel for $65 per day (you can get at $40 in town - off mainroad).

We were to go back for the end part of our vacation, but cancelled.

Hotel actually has potential, but would need : 1) hot water, 2) better breakfast, 3) scheduled rides into & from town a few times a day, and 4) functioning jacuzzis.

Room Tip: All rooms are the same Small parking area for golf carts.

Travelers are raving about these Isla Mujeres hotels

Nacka, Stockholms Län, Sweden
Reviewed February 15, 2012

I guess it is all about expectations. Don’t expect the beach club described on the web site to actually exist. Consequentially, don’t expect to get the promised 10 % discount at the beach club (only logical, no?). Don’t expect to get the unlimited use of a golf cart promised in the confirmation letter or even golf cart transportation to one of the other beach clubs that do exist. Don’t expect to be able to use the rooftop Jacuzzi, which hasn’t been installed and only contains rain water and old leaves. By the way, don’t expect there to be hot water, or any water at all, all of the time. And don’t expect to be able to use the “fully equipped kitchenette”, unless you want to eat with your fingers off the floor and drink out of the bottles.
If you waive these expectations and arrange your own transportation you’ll find that the location is quiet and the rooms pretty nice (do remember to unplug the fridge at night, though, it could wake up the dead).
I'm still waiting for a refund for the additional transportation costs vi had to sustain. But maybe I shouldn't expect to get it?

3 Thank Carina F
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Reviewed February 11, 2012

My girlfriend and I spent 2 weeks in playa then decided to extend our trip by 1 week.We decided on the peace and tranquility of isla mujeres.It was absolutely amazing.From the moment we arrived the manager Miguel and his staff were incredible.We felt like we were at home and the staff were our friends. They could not do enough for us and went out of their way to make us feel welcome.The small hotel was comfortable and clean....Even the bull next door wasn't enough to sway our experience.Thank You Miguel and Staff for that little slice of heaven. We will be back someday.
Stay there you won't regret it.

Room Tip: All rooms have jacuzzi's. Great
2 Thank Luigi M
Høvåg, Aust-Agder, Norway
Reviewed February 1, 2012

This hotel was really nice, and the staff was smiling and helpfull all the time:))) Best holliday fore a long time. Peacefull and relaxing the hole 14 days:))) Thanks to you all fore making ouer stay wonderful:)))) I will come back someday:) Take care and stay healty:) Highly recommended

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
East of England
Reviewed January 14, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here in September 2011, it was truly wonderful. The staff were brilliant, especially the manager who was very accomodating. The rooms are very clean and reasonably priced. The breakfasts are great and the pool is brilliant too. Highly recommended.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank kc140
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed January 12, 2012

A wonderful place to relax. After a crazy 10 day schedule prior to our wedding this is a slice of heaven. The rooms are beautiful, the bathtub is wonderful, the staff very accommodating...the beds oh yes the beds perfect. I have been coming to Isla for 19 years and have a small apartment on the island, I have stayed at many hotels and I have to say that this one has the best beds. If you have never been to Isla you may find the location odd, but after a few days of all the noise in the centro area this is a relief. We can see the open caribe side from our balcony, there are hamacas, they do have a nice beach spot not at the hotel but a few steps away....and they will even give you a lift in a golf cart.

Room Tip: The second floor is best
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple