“My Homebase for 3 weeks now”

Playa La Media Luna Hotel
Ranked #6 of 40 Isla Mujeres B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 17, 2009

My friend and I are in Mexico for almost 6 weeks. We booked a week at Media Luna standard room in the new section of this beautiful smallish hotel. As soon as we arrived we were delighted and jumped into the pool after our full day of travel from
Vancouver,Canada. We enjoyed the cleanliness and quiet or room is right by the pool with an ocean view. when the week was up we didn't want to leave and worked out a great deal to stay on for two more weeks. Half price whats posted on line. we have looked all around the island and can't find such a nice place at such a reasonable price. Its close to Town and Playa Norte is only 5 minutes walk. I think I'll be back here with my family next year.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Mohini D

Reviewed October 26, 2009

As always our family stays at Hotel Playa Media Luna, but this time with our one-year old baby. We were very happy that the owners have added two bungalows to the available rooms at the hotel. We were luckily recommended to stay at one of the bungalows next door by Wizer, one of the many friendly faces at the hotel. We really felt more relaxed and saved money in the long run because the bungalow has a full kitchen. We can only eat out so much on vacation. The bungalows are really spacious and clean. They are newly remodeled with lots of natural light and a cool modern style bathroom. The bungalow is located on the beach with private access, but you can use the pool. We loved staying the bungalows, because they are private and secluded from the hotel, but with all of the benefits of the hotel. My husband and I have, and will recommend the bungalows as the best place we have stayed on the island. We cannot wait to go back!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
4  Thank kikimanz
Reviewed September 24, 2009

This is a small boutique hotel where my friend held her wedding. She reserved all 18 rooms for the 30 or so people who were coming for the wedding. It was not overly luxurious, but it was very nice - my kind of place. Each room has a deck facing the pool and the ocean with a hammock on it. The hotel is connected with many services in the area and I was able to get a manicure and massage and they came to me. The staff were very helpful and accommodating. I think the family that runs the place lives on site so it is well kept up. The beds were comfortable, each room had its own air conditioner, the bathrooms were clean, there was a water cooler on each floor for cool drinking water and the pool was clean. A very simple breakfast of toast, danish, fruit, juice, coffee and tea is provided.

If you are looking for resort style luxury, this is not the place. If you are looking for a relaxed, above average and beautiful place to stay this is it. I enjoyed my stay immensely.

BTW if you go and it is during Whale Share Season, YOU MUST GO ON A WHALE SHARK SNORKEL EXCURSION! This is an experience of a lifetime.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank MamaMoose8
Reviewed August 26, 2009

I stayed for one night with some friends. This hotel is offering an excellent package to go to swim with the whale sharks, it includes one night stay and continental breakfast, and the tour with some snacks.

The staff are very kind and friendly, even though I read that other reviews state that the staff are not polite at all. It is a small hotel, with pool (very clean) and very close to Playa Norte which is the most beautiful beach of Isla Mujeres. The ocean-view is breath-taking, you can see the sun rise from your room!

Breakfast is delicious and after the tour and check out, they let us stay for a while at the swimming pool and take a shower.

I highly recommend this hotel!

I was surprised because I thought it was a new hotel, but it seems it has been there for ten years!!! They have rooms with jacuzzis so we are looking forward to stay in one of those rooms.

The only comment is that the hamock had a smell of humidity, but everything else was fine.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank Cachoa
Reviewed June 28, 2009

First, let me say that I had, by far, the most enjoyable vacation ever on Isla Mujeres. I will definitely go back, and when I do, I hope to return to the Hotel Playa la Medialuna. The setting is beautiful and tranquil. The ocen view was awesome. The pool was fabulous. The drinks we were served at the pool by the very friendly staff from the hotel next door (Hotel Secreto) were delicious. The continental breakfast provided with Hotel Playa la Medialuna, with a TV broadcasting a U.S. morning news show, was a nice start to each day. The short walk to El Centro (downtown) with all the restaurants and shops was very convenient and we felt perfectly safe making that walk in the evening hours. I would definitely recommend Isla Mujeres as a vacation destination and the Hotel Playa la Medialuna to anyone seeking a beautiful, tranquil island experience. However, be sure to reserve a room in the hotel and NOT one of the bungalows. Having spent one really bad night (with bugs and less than adequate air conditioner) in one of the hotel's bungalows and then four more nights in an absolutely fabulous room overlooking the pool and beach, I am really baffled by the rates being charged for the bungalow. We requested to be moved from the bungalow after our horrible night there, and the hotel management was very accomodating. They had two rooms available and we got our choice of the two (the best room in the hotel and did not have to pay any extra). We had originally reserved a bungalow because we wanted a ktichen. What a mistake. The hotel rooms are so very much nicer at about the same rate. Unless you absolutely must have a kitchen, it would be crazy to pay the rate asked for the bungalow, when you can get a much better room in the hotel (I think a hotel room with two double beds is actually cheaper than the bungalow), with continental breakfast included. If you must have a kitchen, be aware that the bungalow stove is gas and looks somewhat old and rusty. The pots and pans provided with the kitchen all look about 25 years old or more (e.g., pans with non-stick coating almost completely scratched off--really disgusting). There are plenty of places to get a good meal in town, and as I mentioned before, there's a nice, relaxing continental breakfast provided by the hotel. Forget the bungalow and the idea of cooking your own meals. Stay in a room in the hotel--you'll be happy you did.

One more thing, I read other reviews where the Hotel Playa la Medialuna staff were characterized as not particularly friendly. I had thought that maybe they were just not particular warm toward me and my sister because we complained about the bugs in the bungalow. Now I know from other reviews, that they just aren't particularly friendly in general. By contrast, the staff at their sister hotel, Hotel Secreto, were very warm and friendly. They came out to the pool and offered us drinks and would always wave and speak to us when we saw them. One of the staff gave us a tour of their hotel and it is beautiful, but more expensive than Hotel Playa la Medialuna. I personally prefer the style of Hotel Playa la Medialuna, and Hotel Secreto is more expensive. Hotel Playa la Medialuna would be the perfect place if they had a warm and friendlier staff more like that of Hotel Secreto.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
5  Thank kaymaya
Reviewed May 7, 2009

My husband and I just completed a two week vacation traveling through the Yucatan and Isla Mujeres was our first stop. We LOVED Isla....such a charming, peaceful little island! Overall we had a positive experience at Hotel Playa Medialuna, here are some pros and cons:

PROS
Convenient location to both North Beach, ferry port and restaurants
Nice pool and outdoor layout
Beautiful view of non-swimming beach
Front desk staff though not overly friendly, very helpful and responsive to requests

CONS
EXTREMELY windy, particularly on upper floor terrace
Rooms (esp. bathrooms) could definitely use a makeover
Horribly thin, overly bleached, discolored towels (not worthy of a 3 star hotel)
Toilet trash can could use a lid
Poor breakfast selection
Hot water in shower inconsistent

Though our king room (not suite) served our needs we felt it was very overpriced at $130. Considering the quality of the furnishings, bathroom, towels and breakfast we would have rated the hotel much higher if our category room was priced more appropriately (around $100). Overall we had a nice stay and would consider returning, especially if they decide to spruce up the rooms a bit.

Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
4  Thank ihopeyoudancer
Reviewed April 5, 2009

We stayed at this hotel in October and enjoyed it very much. The outside area has an incredible view and makes a nice place to gather with friends. A nice little breakfast each morning made lounging around in the mornings a must! The location is perfect, close to everything. Beds are hard and the rooms could use some updating. The staff at this hotel are delightful. The manager, Wizer (I think) was always welcoming and helpful. The apparent owners of the hotel are around off and on and not once even greeted us. They seem busy and rushed but it would be a nice personal touch if they took just a minute to welcome their guests. We are looking for a wedding location for our daughter and it would behoove them to be a little more welcoming.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with friends