“a saviour”
Review of Lolo Lorena

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Isla Mujeres
Lolo Lorena
Ranked #5 of 37 Isla Mujeres B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“a saviour”
Reviewed February 6, 2012

I arrived with my girlfriend after a few days in Tulum. The main drag of Isla Mujeres was ajarring. We had no reservation for accommodations and started searching for a place to stay. Many of the rooms we saw near the beach were dank and tacky. Hours later we got in a cab and opened the door to Lolo Lorena's. The warmth and charm of the guest house washes over you as soon as you walk in the door. We were lead upstairs to a room with an open loft like feel, and breathed a huge sigh of relief. After a quick walk to the large modern supermarket a block away, we made some dinner using the stove on the deck while guests were being served in the garden below. The decor of the room was rustic, soothing and charming. The feel of Lorena's is familial and the hospitality is genuine. It's like you are staying with a cool globe trotting relative with amazing culinary skills and an adorable charming son. The baked goods, eggs and coffee were all delicious. It's really hard to imagine staying anywhere else on the island.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lee S

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Wien, Österreich
Reviewed February 3, 2012

we had a very warm welcome when we arrived at Lolo's place, and felt welcome and special from the first minutes on. We were immediately offered water, coffee and wonderful homemade! makkarones, that were the best I ever had.
and it continued like this. We were helped with every request or information we were asking about the island. Whether it was where to eat, where to buy books (even allthough there is no real bookstore on the island), about lending a scarf, calling people to make appointments, booking a daytrip, we were taken care of better than any 5*****concierge could. And even better: The food that Lolo is cooking! Every afternoon I was already longing for our next breakfast, it was splendid! and special! Also try out to ask to have dinner at Lolos Restaurant, it is worth it, and being vegeterial she cooked something extra special for me everytime!
The rooms are really nice and special, I felt so much home, the bathroom is wonderful with a huge bathtub and a shower opening up to the sky. Behind this you have a pool, that is more or less private, because there can only be 2 more guests at her place.
GO THERE, I would always come back, and I felt sad when we left !! ... although we were given a lunch-pack for the flight, so we would not have to stick with the airplane-food only. what can I say, THANK YOU !

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Cancun, Mexico
Reviewed September 20, 2011

I travelled to Isla Mujeres with my 4 year old girl for a long weekend and chose Lolo's place to stay.
As soon as Lolo opened the door, we felt right at home. The friendly atmosphere, the colors and decor of the house, the smell of fresh baked bread in the kitchen, the home made lemonade we were welcomed with... we had come home.

Room Tip: The blue room connects to the pool in the back! I loved the "open air" shower.... totally...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank SeveCun
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed April 11, 2011

Staying here is like staying with family, if you had an exotic, world-traveling sister with a great sense of humor, an eye for style and staggering talent in the kitchen.
I have always stayed in the Tree House - I travel to Isla alone and love to go to sleep to the sounds of the dinner guests' chatter and laughter below. The multi-floor room has a sitting area with a balcony overlooking the garden, furnished with a table and chairs, an open closet, a hammock for siestas, and a gorgeous hand-made mosaic bath.
Traveling up a spiral staircase, you'll find your bedroom, a cozy sleeping loft with a comfy bed, and-a rarity in Mexico- luxuriously soft egyptian cotton sheets!
Waking up to Lorena's breakfasts are a highlight of the stay - she'll make you whatever you tell her you like, there is always fresh juice, and she has, without a doubt, the best coffee on the island.
I start my Isla trip with Lorena each year so I can get acclimated to 'Island Time" without having to grocery shop, etc. on my first days. She always pampers me and provides me with a high-speed internet connection so I can still do some work while at "home".
I should note that I am not a fan of hotels, always seeking out the unique, off-the-beaten-track sorts of places. If you are seeking a one-of-a-kind place that you'll never forget, this is it - if you're the kind of traveler who wants to feel like they never left home - this is probably not the best place for you.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank peapod
Odessa, Texas
Reviewed February 24, 2011

My compliments to the host & chef. What a wonderful time my friends & I had spending two nights with Lolo. The rooms were both spacious & beautiful. One was like the bottom of the sea; the other the tops of the trees! Everything about our stay there was comfortable, welcoming & delicious! My only regret is that I couldn't stay forever!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank girltripjunkie
Jenks, Oklahoma
Reviewed February 23, 2011

I stayed with Lolo the first week of February. I loved it!! She has a great sense of taste and it is reflected in her decorating! Lolo lives there and while we were there we were treated like family. Very friendly and homey! Breakfast in the mornings was ususally chocolate chip croissants and fruit and yogurt!! The room we stayed in was all blue and very bohemian with curtains all around the bed and an incredible bathroom with a huge tile tub and a rain shower. There were parties both nights we stayed there and they were wonderful! Lolo is a wonderful chef!!! Meals were an adventure in eating! Several courses!!
I was sorry to have to leave and miss Lolo and Evaristo very much!! I will happily stay here anytime I am in Isla Mujeres!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank anginjenks
Texas
Reviewed February 13, 2011

My previous dining experiences at Lolo Lorena had been so enjoyable, that my friends and I arranged to stay with her for two nights during our recent trip to the island. I will now regale you with the tale of the ‘Absolute Lolo Experience’.

We arrived late afternoon as the island started to slow down and were immediately presented with colossal glasses of cold, homemade Limonada (fresh limeade). We relaxed by the pool as two iguanas gazed down lazily from a tall cement wall and Lolo joined us. Lolo’s partner, Evaristo (as sweet as he is handsome) joined the conversation and made us some of his special Mojitos.

Our rooms were gorgeous and unique. Two of my friends stayed in the downstairs ‘Pacific Blue’ room, which is tiled beautifully in blue and gives you the feeling of being under the sea. The bathroom is truly one of a kind, with a humongous bathtub and a shower that is partially outdoors. I slept in what I call the ‘Treehouse Room’, which is situated over the kitchen. Extremely spacious with a large open area with a hammock and a loft for sleeping, this room features an amazing bathroom, as well, and a private balcony.

Dinner was fantastic! Lolo had a large crowd that night and we feasted, drank champagne and laughed until late into the night. The Lovers Salad was on the menu, which is one of my favorites and so was the Seafood Cassoulet. One of my dining companions had the Shepherd’s Pie, which also looked delicious. As always, the desserts were beyond delightful, and featured a sampling of many different tastes, including a chocolate mousse and an apple dish that was to die for.

We must have behaved ourselves well enough at dinner, because we were invited to attend a private party the next night. The food was amazing, the company outstanding and the entertainment divine. Lolo and Evaristo performed an impromptu salsa dance that was incredibly beautiful and sexy and the Fire Dancers that perform on Hidalgo came by for a private show.

Our stay at Lolo’s was relaxing and fun. Breakfast consisted of coffee, beautiful bowls of fresh fruit, yogurt and freshly baked bread. Evaristo served us hot croissants from the oven one morning and I swear, I could have eaten ten of them. They were, quite honestly, the best croissants I have ever eaten. We felt very welcome and comfortable and enjoyed interacting with Lolo’s charming little boy and her well behaved pets. It was like staying with a friend -- An extremely cool friend who lives in paradise and is a European chef.

• Stayed February 2011