“Lovely property but could have been better.”
Review of Marina Paraiso

Marina Paraiso
Ranked #13 of 37 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Marina Parasio is a very pretty resort which is a fifteen minute walk from the town or twenty minute walk from Playa Norte. We stayed for five nights and by the end of our stay the walk had worn a little thin. However there are plenty of cabs on the road if you get tired of it.
We had a king room upstairs with a view of the pool. The bed was huge and comfortable and there was plenty of storage and a flatscreen television with cable. I was disappointed not to have any warm or hot water for five days considering we were paying quite a bit for the king room. Our air con did not work the first night and even after it was fixed it dripped water onto the bed. There is a lovely bar by the marina and the breakfasts deserve a mention for being very, very good! However they are not cheap, and the bbq we ordered on Saturday night was expensive for what we got. Overall, this is a good property which is not reaching it's full potential.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CatEire
150810Frank, Owner at Marina Paraiso, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to review Marina Paraiso.
I apologize for the inconvenience of your AC dripping, even though it should have been fixed immediately as well as the lack of hot water.
Cold water at 30 C in the hear of summertime is not a good excuse.
I will be tomorrow on the island and will personally check on those two issues and their immediate resolution.
Hoping to see you back that we can make it up to you !

There are newer reviews for Marina Paraiso

Reviewed August 4, 2013

We recently had two garden rooms so that 4 of us could come to Isla Mujeres to swim with the whalesharks and snorkel at the MUSA. Carlos and Tani were wonderful, from the minute we started emailing for information to the day we left. The hotel accommodations, beautiful setting, fun bar and delicious restaurant made our trip so special. Very reasonable; friendly and helpful staff and a very relaxing, beautiful pool to swim and watch the sunset. We'll be back!!!!!!!
Judy & Marty Baumann

Room Tip: Loved the garden room, but might choose the pool room next as sitting on the porch with the view wou...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
150810Frank, Owner at Marina Paraiso, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2013

Thank you for taking time to review Marina Paraiso.
Looking forward to see you again soon.

Reviewed June 29, 2013

I stayed on the island for three months and I loved it. I dont know about the rooms since i was staying on the boat. I loved the food, the pool and the marina. The staff are extremely helpful....and fun. Carlos produced great food and Gabi tried to get me to drink more rum than i needed. I had a great time each night at the bar with the other hotel and marina guests. I really felt at home. Other than that...it was ok ☺

Room Tip: Cant help you here....
Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
150810Frank, Owner at Marina Paraiso, responded to this reviewResponded December 8, 2013

Thank you for your nice comments . As a marina with 42 slips, we understand the need of a good bar and restaurant reasonably priced for people who have extended stays.
We love your business, thanks for your support , and we have more rum in store for your return!

Reviewed June 19, 2013

You will enjoy your stay great rooms and wonderful staff and the food very good the bar has lots of great people and cold drinks the pool is large and clean and at night the blue lights for that evening dip or morning swim i just enjoyed all of it close to town walking time a few minutes and a great bar a couple doors towards town called the SOGGY PASO fun also friendly place don't pass it bye when visiting Isla Mujeres.
ROJO

Room Tip: IN FRONT OF POOL ground level i enjoyed
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank ROJO5522

Thank you for your support.
Looking forward to your next trip.!
A second pool is being built to allow kids to have their own fun space away from hotel and marina guests
!!!!!!Opening in January 2014.!!!!

Reviewed June 3, 2013

Overall the hotel is nice enough but there were so many little issues we probably will not return. we have visited Isla several times a year for 10 years and do not have unrealistic expectations. The main problems were the odor in the rooms from the shower drain, ants, the safe in one of our rooms didn't work, AC dripped on the bed, and staff were smoking in the common room despite the no smoking sign. I have to say when we reported one shower did not drain at all they prompty fixed it. They advertise high speed internet however there was no internet at all in the rooms. Going down to the restaurant or common area when it's pouring down rain is no fun and the service is really slow.
The bar area was fun and service was great. You can catch the sunset from the pier.
We ordered two appetizers to split between four of us and the food was good but they just set the food down and left. No forks, no napkins, no plates. Later we ordered 2 pizzas and a salad to go. They offered to deliver it to our room which was great. But no napkins, plates or even forks. How are you supposed to eat a salad without a fork? When I went down to get forks I had to track someone down. The margarita pizza was just tomato, no basil. I had heard it was great so was disappointed.
The pool is nice! The rooms have a frig but no coffee maker.
Everyone there was really nice and hopefully they can get these minor issues addressed. They are adding on more rooms.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Texan
150810Frank, Owner at Marina Paraiso, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2013

Thank you for your review and positive overall comments to help us improve.
Following your comments, we are changing all shower drains to a more advanced design with water syphon to alleviate the odor issue.
The AC dripping drain from condensation has been replaced.
Internet issues are unfortunately out of our control and the whole island suffers at some times intermittent service.
I apologize for the service laps on your room service and staff has been retrained.

Reviewed April 30, 2013

I recently had the opportunity to stay at Marina Paraiso Hotel with family and friends and what a great time we had! The rooms were very clean and comfortable and the restaurant had a great selection and the food was delicious and very reasonable. Carlos manages the bar and restaurant and his wife Tani manages the hotel. They are wonderful hosts and the staff is like family. Everyone goes out of their way to make sure you stay is memorable. On Saturday night Carlos cooks steak, ribs and burgers on the grill. It is a feast. I am planning on going back again next year and can't wait!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to review our facilities.
Your positive comments make it all worthwhile .
We are looking forward to your return , just let us know your room selection !
Carlos says that he is ready for you .

Reviewed April 29, 2013

I am writing this review to share my experience, because I was expecting more and was very disappointed. I would like to add that we have stayed on Isla Mujeres 5 other times in the last 10 years.

When we arrived the gentleman didn't speak a lick of english which is fine and expected, but even my spanglish wasn't enough to communicate. We get the key to our room and it was really quite nice. The bathroom is so nicely tiled and the bed and the pillows were so nice and soft. It was really warm so we swam, the pool is great. We decide to get a drink and they have 2 types of beer available. Well we were hoping for more. Oh well. We crash for a little siesta, the air conditioner above our bed tends to leak on your head, pull the bed out a bit from the wall problem solved. Wake up from our siesta and see we have a visitor, a gecko is perched on the wall by the bed. ok well I am not to comfortable with him but I try to make the best of it. we head out for dinner and come back to see 2 more geckos climb through the door frame. We now have our own family of geckos in the room. Needless to say I didn't sleep well with the little guys crawling around and resolved to talk to someone in the morning. When morning came I had a gecko jump out of the toliet paper tube, that was my last straw! Well it was a bit of a task to find someone who spoke english to share my concerns. I did eventually have a very nice conversation with the gal and she assured me that because I paid in full with paypal that they would have to refund me via paypal, so we would be charged the one night stay and the balance would be refunded. Well I am ok with that and we check out. There is no policy for refunds anywhere on the website, which maybe I am the only person not comfortable with geckos crawling around, so maybe it's not needed. I had to really push and send several emails to finally get a response for my refund. In the end they did refund some of my money. I was booked for 8 days $420 for a week + $70 for the extra night. I finally recieved a refund of $350.00. I guess in the end I was on vacation and I just wanted to be comfortable and enjoy it!

I have never had a gecko in my room any other place I have stayed on Isla Mujeres. They may be native to Isla Mujeres and had they been just outside my door, I would have been fine. I never expected to be disappointed with the rave reviews here, but I guess it's not for everyone. Again I am just sharing my experience so maybe it helps a fellow traveler. My tip is to only pay the minimum deposit and make sure you are happy before paying the balance.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank imamelda

Thank you for taking the time to review our marina.
in light of your comments and individual ratings, I expected a more positive overall rating.
As far as gecko in your room , we do not kill gecko which are small lizards which eat mosquitoes.
As far as saying that you have not seen geckos anywhere else is quite impossible nor believable since they inhabits most of every buildings in tropical climate countries.
Our employees are Mexicans and only some of them have English knowledge.
It is not fair to expect all bilingual staff in a hotel you pay $52 /night.
You comment on your deposit is not very fair since we did reimburse you without any question , which we were under no obligation to do since our hotel and services are up to what we advertise.