“not what we expected”

Ranked #13 of 37 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
Appleton, Wisconsin
“not what we expected”
Reviewed April 29, 2013

I am writing this review to share my experience, because I was expecting more and was very disappointed. I would like to add that we have stayed on Isla Mujeres 5 other times in the last 10 years.

When we arrived the gentleman didn't speak a lick of english which is fine and expected, but even my spanglish wasn't enough to communicate. We get the key to our room and it was really quite nice. The bathroom is so nicely tiled and the bed and the pillows were so nice and soft. It was really warm so we swam, the pool is great. We decide to get a drink and they have 2 types of beer available. Well we were hoping for more. Oh well. We crash for a little siesta, the air conditioner above our bed tends to leak on your head, pull the bed out a bit from the wall problem solved. Wake up from our siesta and see we have a visitor, a gecko is perched on the wall by the bed. ok well I am not to comfortable with him but I try to make the best of it. we head out for dinner and come back to see 2 more geckos climb through the door frame. We now have our own family of geckos in the room. Needless to say I didn't sleep well with the little guys crawling around and resolved to talk to someone in the morning. When morning came I had a gecko jump out of the toliet paper tube, that was my last straw! Well it was a bit of a task to find someone who spoke english to share my concerns. I did eventually have a very nice conversation with the gal and she assured me that because I paid in full with paypal that they would have to refund me via paypal, so we would be charged the one night stay and the balance would be refunded. Well I am ok with that and we check out. There is no policy for refunds anywhere on the website, which maybe I am the only person not comfortable with geckos crawling around, so maybe it's not needed. I had to really push and send several emails to finally get a response for my refund. In the end they did refund some of my money. I was booked for 8 days $420 for a week + $70 for the extra night. I finally recieved a refund of $350.00. I guess in the end I was on vacation and I just wanted to be comfortable and enjoy it!

I have never had a gecko in my room any other place I have stayed on Isla Mujeres. They may be native to Isla Mujeres and had they been just outside my door, I would have been fine. I never expected to be disappointed with the rave reviews here, but I guess it's not for everyone. Again I am just sharing my experience so maybe it helps a fellow traveler. My tip is to only pay the minimum deposit and make sure you are happy before paying the balance.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank imamelda
150810Frank, Owner at Marina Paraiso, responded to this review, August 17, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our marina.
in light of your comments and individual ratings, I expected a more positive overall rating.
As far as gecko in your room , we do not kill gecko which are small lizards which eat mosquitoes.
As far as saying that you have not seen geckos anywhere else is quite impossible nor believable since they inhabits most of every buildings in tropical climate countries.
Our employees are Mexicans and only some of them have English knowledge.
It is not fair to expect all bilingual staff in a hotel you pay $52 /night.
You comment on your deposit is not very fair since we did reimburse you without any question , which we were under no obligation to do since our hotel and services are up to what we advertise.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
seoul
Reviewed April 22, 2013

We went to Isla primarily to dive as pretty novice divers, which Dick and Morna made a really wonderful experience, and ended up truly enjoying Isla and Marina Paraiso as well. The diving worked out great, my 10y/o daughter ended up getting certified under their careful guidance and Dick was great with my 13 y/o son so we all got to enjoy some wonderful reef diving (fairly shallow at 30ft or so which was nice) as well as a wreck dive. It was just the 3 of us with Dick and the captain on the boat which looked much better than some of the really crowded boats we saw out there. Not to mention all we had to do was walk to 50 yards from the breakfast terrace down to the fully prepared boat every morning!

We happened to arrive on a Saturday which turns out was Carlos' weekly barbecue night...the ribs were fantastic. The next night Carlos made Paella, again a great meal right on site. Most other days we ate breakfast and lunch at the hotel and then went into town for dinner which worked out well. A number of the restaurants on the island provided really enjoyable meals.

Overall, the environment and the folks at Marina Paraiso were very welcoming and friendly. Gabby at the bar was always fun and it was great to hear the many stories of the people sailing across the carribean and stopping in Isla (the resort is popular dock and boater stop as well). Tawny and Carlos were always around to help with any questions.

The one bit that not everyone might like is that the pool and restaurant are open to local folks as well, so on the weekends it lent to a very lively atmosphere with 30-40 kids enjoying the pleasures of swimming while their parents ate and drank but even on weekday afternoons there would be a handful of kids everyday in the pool. Not a big deal for us with our kids there but if you were hoping for absolute peace and quiet to read you book etc. this would probably not be a comfortable environment for that.

Otherwise the place is great. Live music as well 4-5 nights with a whole variety of musicians made every evening entertaining. A short cab ride brought you right to Playa Norte and its perfect beach. All made for a great stay and Isla vacation.

Room Tip: We enjoyed lower level rooms over looking the pool and easy walk-in/out to everything. New rooms be...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank seoulmvp
150810Frank, Owner at Marina Paraiso, responded to this review, August 17, 2013
Thank you very much to share with us your positive review on our marina.
Just to address your comments on the pool busy activity from locals on week end.
We are well aware that it can be annoying for marina guests to share the pool with twenty or more noisy children.!
We have decided to build a second pool for day passes on the north side of the grounds to alleviate this inconvenience and maintain our support to locals islanders and their family since their is no public pool on the island.
Building Permit was issued two days ago and work should start within two weeks for a schedule completion of end of November.
Thanks again for your support.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed April 11, 2013

As I traveled to work this morning with the temperature im the 30's farenheit and the snow coming down making travel so difficult I was missing the island and Marina Paraiso Hotel where my dear friend and I spent a week in February. It was our first time away from North Beach and I must say it forced me to get some exercise as we walked to town many days during Carnival. If I were to give a rating of the hotel, restaurant, bar, staff and, of course, the margaritas, I would give it all a "10". The staff is so aware of whether you are enjoying yourself and that you have everything you need. We had only one mishap. Someone from outside our property took our beach towels from our patio on the last night. Tani was so understanding and did not charge us. I am hoping to spend more time at Marina Paraiso next winter. Thank you again everyone. You are all such hard workers. Janice and Kathy

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank JANICEK52
Columbia, SC
Reviewed March 26, 2013

The hotel had a beautiful view from our balcony. I enjoyed that we could walk outside onto a perfectly tended lawn and had outdoor space to relax that was not on a noisy street like so many of the hotels in the area. We enjoyed the easy going atmosphere & the quiet of this hotel. The pool was perfect & the sunset over the marina was breathtaking. The managers make you feel truly welcome & at home. The maid even took the time to organize our toiletries & luggage in the room! We will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ocean view king has a great view of the property,pool, & sunsets from the private balcony.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank hswearin
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Great location, close to everything the island offers yet quaint and very relaxing laid back atmosphere. Nice well kept grounds and pool. Hard working, very friendly employees that are very service oriented! Rooms are nice and beds are very comfortable. Great food and service at the open air restaurant and the palapa bar is a nice place to enjoy a drink day or night.
We arrived at Marina Paraiso about middle of February so we enjoyed typical beautiful tropical weather and temperatures! We would definitely return to Marina Paraiso and Isla Mujeres!

Room Tip: I liked the view being a little higher in our 2nd floor room although 1st floor rooms have access ri...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bruce B
Cuttingsville, Vermont
Reviewed February 24, 2013

This is our second time at Marina Paraiso and we hope it won't be our last. We arrived on our sailboat "Scott Free" last year from Florida and stayed 6 weeks. This year we sailed up from Guatemala and will be here through March. The hotel looks even better this year with new landscaping and the pool has been pristine, which is good since we spend part of every day in it. The bar is cool and welcoming with lovely bartender Gabriella and the food very good. We had great ribs and rib eye steak at the Saturday BBQ and look forward to the paella for two today, Sunday. We checked out the rooms for possible guests and thought they were very comfortable and attractive. There us a large library in the lounge for all to use. This is the place to go if you want to meet interesting people as the boat owners come from all over the world and love meeting new people. It's a lot more fun than just a hotel! One negative point for some, it's a 10-15 minute walk from the center of town, but it's a lovely walk along the waterfront - and Soggy Peso and Bahia Tortuga are just a few steps away.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ScottFreeVT
Arroyo Grande, California, United States
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I spent two weeks there. Carlos and Tawny are great hosts make you feel at home. His saturday night ribs night is a must meet imported that same day. Gabriela the bartender is a sweetheart. The music is good and if your there on jam night it's awesome. The swimming pool is one of the best on the island. A nice laid back place away from downtown. enjoy. Michael

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends