“Great annual trip to isla (old mexico style anticancun)” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Kinich

Hotel Kinich
Ranked #23 of 38 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
Fresno, California
“Great annual trip to isla (old mexico style anticancun)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2014

Stayed 10 days in June, room 10 the suite with view of ocean, fantastic!!!!
Spot less room, nice bed, nice ac, great maid service, AND they wash and replace the bed spread twice during the trip. Its nice to see a hotel take the time to wash the bed spreads a first for me while in Mexico and they would color coordinate the sheets with the new bed cover so u know they aren't just throwing a bunch of old stuff on th bed but taken the time to make u feel at home! Staff was great friendly attentive and always on call, they wers there for us, even during a short time during our trip when it appeared we may have been the only guests.
Jacuzzi on balcony was great cleaned daily, takes about 45 minutes to fill upmand has a heater built in it JUST keeps the water a nice comfortable temperature not too hot was great at night after day of diving and beach. Hotel is great location 2 blocks from best beach and 2 blocks from downtown
Room is just like the pictures on websites not dated or worn had small kitchen and dining table tk enjoy small meals, they placed a small table on balcony for us to enjoy late night air and drinks

Pros: location staff room price at home feel
cons: no bottle water in rooms (provided in lobby but nicer in room)
For some no elevator however only 3 stories so no big deal great exercise

Definitely staying again next year call directly for reservation call during early morning you will get the main dek clerk very friendly great English and informative.

Room Tip: Suite 10 is great Rooms 1 2 3 or 4 if not great with stairs
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank G-Whz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2014

Looking for something of decent value for a few nights in centro near Carnival is getting harder and harder but I emailed Kinich (in Spanish) to inquire about the rates and was pleasantly surprised and also loved they were offering to hold my reservation without a card until 3 pm.
My flight got in early in the morning and I was at Kinich by 11 am. No surprise they did not have a room ready for me but offered to hold my luggage until one became available around 1-2 (and later brought it up to my 3rd level floor, thanks!). I interacted with the staff in Spanish but got the feeling from playing translator to other guests a few times that a few reception staff had very limited English, and my Spanish did not warm things up. Then again, some of the staff work all the time so I give them a break for that reason.
I thought the room 8 was well furnished, spotlessly clean and though I feared the nearby rooster's wake up call, he didn't really seem to have a clock and was actually active later in the day. I had also read about plastic bed covers that could be hot and uncomfortable but didn't experience that. There was a small cute balcony which I never really used as it was mostly in full sun (other storeys had larger shaded balconies). The noise does travel in that marble center hallway but the other guests were fairly quiet and respectful. There are free pastries and coffee in the morning. There was plenty of pressure in the shower, plenty of hot water and a wifi router seems to be on each floor so it worked pretty well. Room had a safe, a microwave and a fridge also.
My main downside was not to have access to the main street door. I get up very early, like to step out for coffee/sunrise and always had to get the door unlocked for me. Thankfully there was always someone there.
Kinich is very well located on my favorite lodging street, Juarez. Easy access to restaurants and the beach. There is a beautiful view from the rooftop, they don't tell you about it so I'm still unsure we are supposed to go there! :) They offer better rate for cash payment but do offer credit card payment with a surchage of 6%, which isn't all that bad. I would not hesitate to go back.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank gaspezee
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here two nights we had 4 rooms total all the couples were happy with the rooms nice beds and clean bathrooms and ok showers we were in room # 4 it was on the back side it has two beds a safe microwave and refrigerator. It is a great location a close walk to any we're down town and the beautiful North Beach. The things I didn't like about it was the bathroom smelled like there was a venting problem with the shower ( no P trap maybe) one other couple had the same problem they said they through a wet towel over the shower drain and that took care of it. It would be nice if they had a water jug in every room it sure makes it a lot nicer we didn't have any problems with the noise some people talk about ( the bars and roster ) but one couple we were with they stayed in room 2 on the front side they had problems with the noise. It's a toss up it has a lot of good things and a few bad. The price was good.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ShawnBirdsall
Sitka
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2014

A true gem thanks to the unique qualites that went into the planning and construction. Everything was perfect and clean, my foremost concern. Edwin the owner is totally gracious and helpful. You want to stay here, it's that rewarding coupled with a dynamite location.

Room Tip: From my experience, all the rooms qualify as extrodinary
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Vancouver, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2013

sleek place, comfortable, quiet, pretty furnitures and decorations, ac good, shower took awhile to get warm. its abit spendy but well worth it. tiny tv. no view of ocean. few minutes to beach like the majority of locations on the island. would definitely go back.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank abducens
new york
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2013

I had arrived about 7 hours before and had just gone through a hotel nightmare (read last review of mine). This hotel manager agreed to take me as guest and accept the payment from the other hotel. When I saw the room I felt like I had entered paradise from that other place! Rooms were discrete, well appointed, clean, tastefully decorated. There was a nice balcony, sleep was effortless. Bathrooms just fine. Service is good, the reception manager mature and understated. These are people who are well trained and know how to run a hotel.
I read SLN23´s review about the noise. No one hates noise worse than I! I travel with many earplugs and white noise machines. So either I was lucky on this trip or my room was on quiet side. I was not on street side. My window faced other homes and some roofs. There was a dog that barked, but my white noise machine took care of that. (Sometimes it doesn´t work on barking dogs.
I had room 7 just in case you are wondering

Room Tip: I would think the upper rooms are a good bet. My room was under the suites and I never heard anythin...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank yuca35
Lacey, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013

I have mixed feelings about this hotel. I loved it and I didn't love it.

I spent two weeks here, after having spent two weeks in a villa near the airport strip. On my check in day, things were a bit crazy as my husband was heading home. (I had decided early on to spend an extra two weeks, and I thought being in town would be a more convenient location.) I was due to check out of the villa at 11:00, but not due to check in at the hotel until 3:00. I communicated with the villa manager's wife (the manager had a heart attack a few days after arrival and was at home resting) and asked her about staying in the villa longer, so I wasn't on the curb or in a restaurant with all my luggage for 4 hours. She agreed.

Communication had also taken place between another person who helps with the villa and the hotel manager, who'd been asked to allow me to check in early. However, I wasn't told this information in time. Anyway, long story short, the manager of the hotel was expecting me earlier than I arrived and he was not happy. His greeting was, "You are late! I had the room ready early for you because I was asked by ___ to have it ready." After apologizing and stating I wasn't made aware of that until only an hour or so before my arrival, he did not warm up. He pushed some papers at me, and said, "Sign here." Then he stated the reservation was for two people. I said, "No, the reservation was only for one." He seemed more upset by this, so I apologized again, stating there must have been a miscommunication with my booking company. I didn't get a welcome, an orientation to the hotel or the room, not even a smile...nada. Very unwelcoming! I felt the behavior was rude and I wanted to leave immediately.

I went to my room, suite 10, on the top floor...which is a total of like 9 flights of stairs. The A/C was on, thankfully, as it was much needed that day--it was near 90 with high humidity! The furnishings and décor in the hotel are beautiful. It's a very, very nice room! Exactly like the pictures online. I opened the drapes and found myself looking at a great, and unexpected, view. I hadn't known the room came with a partial ocean view! I was thrilled about that! I began to think I'd made a great choice after all.

The suite has two rooms and was twice the size of the room my husband and I had just shared for two weeks! The living room, dining area, and kitchen area are in one room and the bedroom and bath make up the second room. It's a very spacious bedroom and the king sized bed was really comfortable. There were two sliding doors (one from each room) that give access to the large balcony. On the balcony, there was a table, benches, and a Jacuzzi. I never used the Jacuzzi, so can't comment on that. I just can't justify all that water usage without feeling guilty. :) I did spend every morning and nearly every evening sitting on the balcony watching the sunset, the sailboats, and the ferries making their crossing to Cancun. Lovely spot.

The kitchen had many items....plates, cups, silverware, coffee pot, hot plate, toaster, etc. If I were to make a suggestion here, it would be to include dish soap for washing dishes, dish towels and sponges, and paper towels. Those are minimum necessities in a kitchenette and usually included in the places we've stayed over the years.

The other two staff members here, the night/weekend clerk at the desk and the maid were very sweet and kind. Although we didn't talk much, simply because my Spanish is very limited and they didn't really speak any English. The room was thoroughly cleaned and they offer this service daily if you like. I asked for services 3 times per week. I asked to hang some clothes that I hand washed on the lines on the roof and was allowed to do this. There is a great opportunity for pictures on the roof.

I can't, in good conscience, not mention the real negative at this hotel. The biggest negative here is all the noise. The noise is awful! From Thursday-Sunday nights, the local bars in the area play loud, pounding music until 3:00 a.m. My first two nights here (Saturday and Sunday), I didn't sleep more than an hour or so. After the music finally stops between 3:00 and 3:30, the rooster next door starts crowing at 4:00 a.m. He continues his song until 6:00. Every day. Another poster here mentioned this rooster, but I had chuckled at that comment. I wasn't chuckling when there..at 4:00 in the morning!! As other posters mentioned, the hallways and stairway here are open, and with the marble flooring, are very, VERY loud. Voices echo and carry quite far. You can hear conversation on the first floor, at the reception area, from the suite on the fourth floor. And when people travel the stairs, it is like they are right outside your door. A few times, I tried to sleep in the afternoon, take a little nap, but the noise from the golf cart rental shop below the hotel also carries tremendously....voices, machinery, etc. That noise begins between 7-8 in the morning. So no siestas here.

Now, to be fair, Monday-Wednesday does not have the music noise all night. Those evenings are much more quiet. The golf cart shop noise ends at 5. If you sleep through anything, like my husband does, the music might not affect you. If you are a light sleeper like me, you won't get any sleep on those nights. On vacation, a good night's sleep is critical for me. With the sun, the heat, and our activities, I'm usually beat.

After the first few nights, I requested a refund to move to another hotel (or back to the villa I stayed in),but the hotel, understandably, wouldn't refund last minute like that. I tried to find earplugs at the Chedraui, but couldn't find any. They offered to move me to the front room in the hotel, but being closer to the street would have only added more noise....street noise and car noise. Plus, I would have lost the view. Room 10 is, most definitely, the best room in the hotel.

They do have internet, and it worked most of the time, although sometimes I could not connect. There was only one spot in the living room where I could get a signal. It didn't work in the bedroom.

Is it the hotel's fault that music plays until 3:00 a.m. or that a rooster lives nearby? Of course not! They can't control those things. But, it still plays into the mix, at least for me. What they say about Location, Location, Location is indeed true.

So, I absolutely loved the room, loved there was a view, loved the large balcony area, liked the kitchenette, and appreciated the location for walking around town. But, I also hated the noise... from too many different sources. Sleep quality in a hotel is too important for me, so I likely wouldn't stay again simply due to the noise.

Room Tip: Room 10, the suite facing the ocean, is the best, in my opinion.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple