“Good dive shop and guide”
Review of Mundaca Divers

Mundaca Divers
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: We are a dive shop located in the heart of downtown Isla Mujeres. We take divers out daily to the many wondrous dive spots around the island. We also offer LA MUSA Museun Subaquatic of Art Mexico Diving and snorkel tours, to Isla Contoy, and rent snorkel gear. From May until September, we offer the Whale Shark tour where people have the chance to snorkel with these gentle giants. Please contact us for more information!. 'ask for the private trip to the whale shark'
Silverton
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good dive shop and guide”
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Just returned from the Isla. I always dive with Mundaca. I've not had a bad experience in the 4 years I've been diving with them. The guide this year, Lung, was excellent. The day we dove he had his hands full with a couple of young first timers, both in their low teens. He was good with them but they used up their O2 quickly, so he surfaced with them and after they were on the boat came back down and gave my friend and I a great tour of the reefs.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank Rick S

• Polish first
Mexico City, Mexico
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“The best place to learn diving”
Reviewed March 7, 2013

If you want to put away your fears, diving it's a good experiencia to do that, and in Mundaca Divers si the best place to do, theyy have the best instructor, Lung take care of you and bring you to a new conford zone, it's amaizing to do this

4 Thank Sean G
Toronto, Canada
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Fantastic Dive Portfolio”
Reviewed February 12, 2013

We just spent the first week of Febuary 2013 in Isla Mujeres and I did four different dives with the team at Mundaca Divers. These guys took care of all I needed; all I had to do was show up. The equipment looked to be quite new and in very good shape. Lung, the Dive Master was very knowledgeable about the area and how the weather could affect the dive, and suggested accordingly. The Museo Aquatico de Arte, the underwater statue garden and the C51 wreck were very interesting, especially with a moray eel the size of a man`s leg lounging just inside the wreck, but the reefs with the incredible diversity in sea life stole the show. The dive briefings were done quite thoroughly and professionally, with everyone knowing what they could expect during the dive and what they were expected to do should something go wrong. Although Lung must have done these dives hundreds of times, he did not sit back and hover while we underwater tourists hunted around - he lead us from interesting site to interesting site, maximizing our experience. The boat captain was extremely professional,keeping a close eye on us in the water as well as other traffic in the vicinity. His willingness to assist without request clearly set him apart from other boat drivers I have met in the past. Cost wise, I felt Mundaca Divers was comparable with the rest of the shops on Isla and in keeping with what I have paid throughout the Caribbean. Their location, on the Avalon Resort island with their own dock adjacent to their shop made everything that much more efficient. As a retired Navy diver, I can get quite nit-picky when it comes to procedure and safety but I saw nothing wrong with these guys and look forward to diving with Lung and his gang again. A truly memorable experience.

Visited February 2013
Salem, Oregon
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Good and Bad”
Reviewed January 20, 2013

Dove with this company in December 2102. I have been diving for 39 years and have been with some great dive operators and this was not one of them. Some things they did very well, some were very bad. They did pick us by boat from the beach in front of our condo and our divemaster was knowledgeable about the area. The shop did keep and rinse our gear for us each night. Our first day of diving we were with another diver certified the day before. We spent much of our time chasing him and the divemaster all over the bottom. Our first day of diving, we were given one botle of water between dives but this was the only time we were given anything between dives and the divemaster hasd a very casual attitude about safety stops and surface intervals. On our last day of diving, we were the only divers and were charged an additional $20 per person to travel just a short distance further than we had dived on previous days. (This rate difference was published but the 15 minute additional travel time does not justify the increased expense. I know better but let the divemaster determine our surface intrval. On our final day we were diving on a beautiful reef but only in 50-60' of water. The divemaster did not have or use a dive computer and on our second dive due to a short suface inteval we had to cut our dive short because I had gone into a decompression profile and had to make a 10 minute deco stop.

I can not reccomend this dive company.

Visited December 2012
3 Thank Doug340
Austin, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Consistently reliable, safe good time”
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Hey, why review a dive shop that only gets top marks from all raters? Just to reinforce that you can expect good, professional, friendly, relaxed, totally satisfactory service from this outfit every trip, no fail. We went with them last March and again this Christmas and both trips we did 4 days diving, Dad and two teens enjoyed every dive. Last trip was with Adriana, a superb athlete, science grad, natural-born teacher, leader and divemaster. This trip was with Lung, pleasant, professional, knowledgeable divemaster and nice guy to dive with. Pilot Hermano is very experienced, capable and attentive to the dive crew below. Shop boss Tony runs a tight ship, and rather than sell you a dive in questionable conditions, he'll refuse to send you out if he doesn't like the chop, even if you really want to go out. He says he doesn't want anybody not to have a good time on his watch. I kinda like that. The standard, convenient, good dive site from here is Manchones which is lots of reef knobs easy to navigate, fauna varies daily but always at least lots of schooling fish on each knob, good diving. The C51 wreck and nearby Punta Negra "mini-Cozumel" low wall drift also make a great day if you're fit. Stay at the Avalon here which is far from the best resort hotel in the world but quite possibly the best *site* for a resort hotel in the world, on its own stunning, beautiful islet over a wooden bridge, with a placid shallow inlet for wading and snorkeling, beautiful "Piscina del Rey" natural rock pool surfside and nice dockside bar/restaurant seating area, a fabulous, dreamy, peaceful headquarters for a week of diving, seafood and knocking around town. If you're not at the Avalon their dive shop is still an easy walk from anywhere in the north end. Isla Mujeres is great, combines OK diving with a fabulously relaxed, car-free small-town walkabout tropical beach vacation. Diving is 2 steps above Florida Keys, 1 step below Cozumel. Dive shop professionalism is way, way above Florida dive shops, toe-to-toe with the absolute best Cozumel dive shops.

Visited January 2013