“Charming hotel with fantastic views”
Review of Hotel La Joya

Hotel La Joya
Ranked #3 of 39 Isla Mujeres B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stayed here after staying two nights on the north beach and loved how peaceful and quite the hotel was. We hardly saw anyone else the two nights we were there. The pool is the perfect place to unwind and relax after a day of activities. We stayed in room 4 and enjoyed resting in the hammock and taking in the views. Our room was charming and we loved having the mini fridge to keep drinks cold, but do note that when you get to your room make sure it’s plugged in. Ours was unplugged (I’m guessing they do this to save energy which we totally respect). Breakfast on the porch was the perfect way to start off our day. The AC worked great once we figured out how to use the remote control. The owners were super friendly and have a free kayak to use as well as excellent snorkel gear to rent (we brought our own masks but considered renting flippers from the hotel). The beach in front of the hotel was fun to explore; we saw sea urchins and a barracuda. We followed other recommendations and brought water shoes which we were glad we had. I would also recommend renting a cart if you plan to stay here. We were glad we had one. It took us about 20 minutes by cart to get to and from town. We did not find this to be a deal breaker and enjoyed our cart rides back and forth. Garrafon de Castila is super close by. We did not find the snorkeling at Garrafron to be that good. The snorkeling at el farito and the light house was much better, and for 25$ a person it’s a must do in my book. As others have mentioned, if you enjoy the large mega resorts a la cancun then this may not be the place for you. However, if you prefer something more off the beaten path then you will love this quant, charming place!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
9  Thank TCUHornedFrog

Reviewed May 27, 2013

This hotel was thankfully on the south end of the island away from tourist central. It was absolutely lovely with a large, clean, round room, air conditioner, comfortable bed, a safe, beautiful terrace with bougainvillea and a lime tree, remarkable view of the ocean and a short walk down the stairs to a small private beach. The staff was friendly. The cook was excellent. I was handed a drink as soon as I walked in and dinner was served to me on my patio. It's not a long walk from there to Punto Sur, Garrafon Park and the smaller and less expensive Garrafon de Castillo. There are also a few restaurants within walking distance. I got spoiled at a less expensive hotel in Valladolid where bottled water was free and waiting for me in my room everyday and complimentary breakfast was complete with eggs, cereal and fruit. Here at La Joya you could buy water or eggs at an additional cost. The continental breakfast here was toast, juice and coffee. It also costs over $7 cab fare one-way for tourists to get there from where the ferry docks so if you have any plans of going back and forth much to downtown area you should seriously consider getting a golf cart. It was still an excellent place to stay and absolutely beautiful and if I ever return to this island I would certainly stay there again.

Room Tip: Room 6 has a lovely grass terrace in addition to the patio, is a couple of floors away from the pool...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
7  Thank dawnln1
Reviewed May 25, 2013

Being a weekend the island was very busy. We knew we wanted to stay on the southern end where it is a bit less developed and we were very happy with La Joya. It does require some type of transportation to get back and forth from it and town, but that's not difficult. Taxis are ubiquitous and there are golf carts, scooters and bikes for rent. For anyone bringing a car there is one car ferry from Punta Sam with about five crossings a day.

The welcome at La Joya was warm and friendly. It's a small hotel with about ten rooms located on three levels just up from the pool and bar area. There are beautiful views from every room with the top level (rooms 1,2 and 3 probably having the best).

There is a small beach but the access is difficult because of the rocks. Better access is about 50 feet further up where there is a sandy opening. The beach, pool and grounds are kept immaculate.

The en suite rooms are comfortably furnished with AC, mini fridge, fan and TV. And most of all very clean. The bathrooms are fine with very hot water and good water pressure. Some rooms, like ours Alcatraz, have a bathtub. The small ammenities (shampoo etc) are provided.

The best part is each room having its own deck with table, chairs and a hammock. Breakfast is brought to your deck each morning at a time you specify between 8 and 10. Very nice way to start the day. The coffe and juice are fine, but I would have rather had fruit than a couple pieces white toast.

There is also a small, charming dining room on the top level which will serve meals at very reasonable prices. We had dinner the first night (shrimp) and enjoyed it very much. It's not a big menu but there is a variety. The second night we went down the road for dinner with a view, paid a lot more, and wound up wishing we had stayed at La Joya.

I can't emphasize enough how relaxing and comfortable the hotel is, and that's also where the staff can come in. Everyone at La Joya, management, servers, chef, were very kind to us.

When we return in December I wouldn't think of going anywhere else and imagine the same experience will be repeated.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank winstead
Reviewed May 17, 2013

After a week in Cancun and being on sensory overload arriving at this little oasis was an unexpected surprise. The room was spacious with both air-condtioning, a ceiling fan, a refrigerator and a very nice bathroom. The bed was very comfortable and had a great duvet. Continental breakfast is served on your own veranda every morning. Relax in your own hammack or take the kayak for a spin. They have a restaurant with a limited menu or the kitchen is available for anyone to use. Other great restaurants within a 5 minute walk. The staff is very accomodating. One drawback is the stairs to the rooms and pool as the property is built on the side of the hill which allows for all 12 of the rooms having an ocean view. We can't wait to go back. One suggestion: upgrading the cable package to include one or two English channels.

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank Cathleen Mac
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Let me just say, if you are stewing about whether or not to stay at Hotel La Joya just do yourself a big favor and do it. Maybe you are worried about being away from all the restaurants, or having to rent a golf cart or taxis or whatever. I promise you, it doesn't matter. Book it and you will not regret anything at all about it.

I spent forever trying to plan our trip and I wavered and almost cancelled and I am so glad I did not. I griped about paying extra for transportation on an island that is otherwise walkable. All of this until we got there. The very moment I stepped foot on the property I knew I had made the right choice.

I had seen a million pictures of the hotel but I can promise you, none of them do it justice. Not at all. It is so quaint and gorgeous. From the stone steps to the florescent pink and purple flours, it was just unreal. I LOVED my hammock on the porch. I loved our simple room.

Eric and Paula are doing a fantastic job as the new managers here. The hotel is just so lovely. Such a great value. The day we arrived it just felt like the place was ours. I know other people must have been staying there but we had the whole place (pool and beach, everything) to ourselves for about 24 hours. It was so romantic to have our own little beach. There were some local guys doing some spear fishing and a local family down on the beach that we visited with that just made our day. Then to swim in the pool all alone, it was great. Great, great, great!

The sunset view from the hotel is unreal. We walked along the private beach and out on to a pier. We didn't see another soul. Sure, the sunset is beautiful from Playa Norte, but there was no music blaring here, not another person around. It was unreal.

We loved the iguanas on the property, the grounds were immaculate. The pool was perfect. The breakfast was simple and nice. Eric was quick to answer any questions or respond to any concerns (we didn't really have any...). We wanted to book an additional day at the end of our trip but unfortunately our room was already reserved by others. Sad!

We were a little sad on Sunday night when every restaurant around the hotel was closed. We returned somewhat defeated only to find that the restaurant at our hotel was open! We were the only people there and the Chef (oh no! I can't remember his name!) made us an excellent dinner. It was my very first Ceviche and I fell in love, I had several other ceviches on the island but the one at La Joya was the best and also the least expensive! My husband had the shrimp spaghetti or something and he loved it. And they gave us some complimentary guacamole that was pretty much to die for. I was so happy they were open and so pleased with my meal. So you needn't worry about finding a place to eat if that restaurant is open! Except, apparently on Wednesdays the Chef is off (ha ha, I wanted one last ceviche before we left but he was gone, bummer!).

So my main concern before booking was having to take a taxi. Well, yeah it was maybe a little annoying, but the taxis frequent by there, and since they are likely returning to town from the middle of nowhere they are likely to bargain with you. "Fifty pesos to town?" We didn't figure this out till the last day, but a ride to the ferry pier was like 68-78 pesos. To playa Norte was 98, but just go to the ferry and then walk, it's not that far.

But, do yourself a solid and rent a golfcart for a day! I am pretty sure that it would be less expensive to just taxi around to where you want to go BUT the flexibility and sheer FUN of driving a golf cart makes it worth it. We were at La Joya for three days and just rented a cart for one and it was a blast. We loved driving that thing around (We got a Prisma cart for $42).

I don't know what else to say other then I cannot wait to go back. I was already missing La Joya before we even left it. If that even makes sense. It's like heaven on Earth. Sure, it wasn't AS magical once the other guests of the hotel decided to enjoy the pool and beach with us, but even then, it was just magical. Loved it. Every second.

Room Tip: We were in room #11 and it had a private balcony and a great view. I had heard that the lower the ro...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Kristi B
Reviewed April 28, 2013

I've never been to Isla before, and my sister and her husband came across La Joya hotel when they did a day trip from Cancun a few years back. They were impressed with the hotel, so we booked our vacation there this year. I really didn't know what to expect, but I trusted there judgement, and went with an open mind. I rented a golf cart downtown by the ferry docks, and made my way south on the island to La Joya. When I arrived at the hotel, the owners Erik and Paula were there to greet me with a smile, and a welcoming beverage. After seeing the pictures on-line of the hotel, I kind of knew what to expect. Well, the pictures don't do this place justice. It's beautiful! They showed me to my room, and it was spacious, clean, and decorated in typical rustic Mexican charm. I knew I was going to be there for ten days, so I made myself at home. First, I stepped out onto my private patio balcony to take in the view. I was impressed with the way all the hotel villas/rooms face the ocean and pool. What a view! Cancun is off in the distance, so you really do get the island feel of nice solitude. I was hungry from my long day of travel, so it was nice to see that they have a chef, named Juan, ready to cook from breakfast to dinner. I ordered shrimp ceviche, and it was the best I ever had. For the price, I couldn't believe it. Erik informed me that Juan goes to the market to get fresh ingredients daily. I was in vacation heaven! The service was excellent. There is a man named Eduardo that really took care of me and our family. Weather we were pool side, or in the room, he was eager to help. Just like we were family. I decided to go down to the ocean, and it was nice to have the beach to myself. The snorkeling was really fun for the kids in the following week. The hotel also had kayaks to take out for free. I could go on about how fabulous this place is, but you really need to go check it out for yourself. Here are some tips: Go to an ATM and get pesos, and your money will go farther. Also, bring lots of sunscreen. Rent a golf cart because you don't want to cab it everywhere around the island. I'm happy I did. Enjoy your stay at the best kept secret on the island!

Room Tip: There are alot of stairs, so if you anticipate a problem, ask for a room closer to the top.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank TexasLolita
Reviewed April 24, 2013

Hotel La Joya is not a normal, tourist hotel. this is a place to get away from the tourist traps and see what Isla Mujeres is like when it's not packaged. It's in a quiet part of the island, near Punta Sur, away from pretty much everything. Rent a gold cart or take cabs....we rented a golf cart and had a blast.

Don't expect regular amenities. No elevator, no spa, just a great place to relax, unwind, and do something un-tourist. It's not luxurious, so is that's what you seek, it's elsewhere. The manager is extremely helpful, the coffee is the best on the island, and if you don't mind some inconveniences, it's the best. There's a communal kitchen, a safe and refrigerator in the room, and TV. Just 6 channels of Mexican TV. No clocks in the room....it's island time. The door security was somewhat concerning....sliding door with a little slender key to lock it.

There are caveats, however. Beds are hard. I mean no give, no bounce hard. The porch had springy boards that made us nervous, as did standing in the middle of the bathtub. We got eaten by mosquitoes. Stairs going to the pool and the beach are uneven, making it a problem for my wife (ankle surgery)

Did we like it? I did...quiet, not touristy, wonderful view of Cancun. My wife didn't...hard beds, bad stairs, worrisome boards on the porch

Room Tip: every room has an ocean view
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple