“Hotel La Joya- "A Hidden Gem"”
Review of Hotel La Joya

Hotel La Joya
Ranked #3 of 40 Isla Mujeres B&B and Inns
Omaha, Nebraska
“Hotel La Joya- "A Hidden Gem"”
Reviewed April 13, 2013

WOW! I just got back from a beautiful vacation with my family to Isla Mujeres, Mexico. We stayed at Hotel La Joya. A few words that come to mind when describing La Joya- Unique, Charming, and One-of-a-Kind. My wife and I discovered this gem a year ago when we took a day trip over to the island from Cancun. We agreed that our next Mexico trip we would come over to this laid-back little island of Isla Mujeres and stay at Hotel La Joya.

The Hotel is location on the southern end of the island away from the more populated downtown/porte area of the North. I recommend renting a golf cart once you arrive to the island by ferry. There are many places close to the porte to rent a golf cart, which the going rate is $50 a day.

I take my hat-off to Erik the hotel manager and his staff for going the extra yard in making our stay so special! On one occasion, he made arrangements with Chef Juan to grill-up our "catch" from our deep sea fishing trip. Much to my surprise, we came back to the hotel with 40+ lbs. of Tuna, Wahoo, and Mackerel. Juan ended up grilling fish steaks out on the grill next to the pool for everybody at the hotel that wanted to join us. Wow, what a experience! The staff makes you feel welcome and part of their family.

One day we wanted to stay and relax at the hotel. We took the cart to Chedraui the grocery store to buy beer, margaritas in a can, and snacks. We loaded up a styrofoam cooler and headed down the hotel steps to their little private beach. The hotel has kayaks at your disposal, but don't forget the lifejacket! There's a nice coral reef close to the shore that stretches south a ways where you can find a variety of beautiful fish. I do recommend that you buy water shoes before your trip to protect your feet from rocks, sea urchins, and broken glass along the beach.

If you are looking for a different experience other than your typical 4 to 5-star all-inclusive sit on the beach and do nothing resort, this is the spot for you. We have stayed at many fancy resorts in the past, but in my opinion La Joya rates right up there at the top and will always have a special place in my heart! The island is very safe and the people there go out of their way to make you feel welcome. I can't wait to go back.................

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
UK
Reviewed April 12, 2013

I think that this must have been the most beautiful place on Isla. The hotel is built up a slope (hence the many steps that others have mentioned) with the pool and balconies looking out over the beautiful sea. The hotel has access to a small cove, but I didn't swim there as there were quite a few sea urchins. A couple of minutes walk to the right of the hotel is a beach where you can rent sunbeds, swim, snorkel etc and we opted for that instead. Being able to fill up water bottles from the large dispensers was a bonus.

Breakfast on the balcony was lovely, but we could never quite work out how to order it (one day we went to ask for it, the next it turned up unprompted via the bathroom door while my friend was in the shower!). The only things that slightly let the hotel down are the lack of privacy: most balconies are shared; being a small hotel if a group has a few rooms there were frequent conversations yelled from pool to balcony and across the hotel generally; and the extremely poor water pressure meaning it was difficult to even shower the sand off your body. Overall though, a lovely place to spend a few days.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Manager Erik, his family and his staff really made our stay a memory for life. The hotel is a real oasis on the south part of the island. It is a bit from town, but with a golfcar you can easily go anywere on the island. La Joya helps you to rent it and get it to the hotel.
We have never stayed at a hotel where the staff gives so much of them selves to please the guests. On the day when we went deepfishing, the staff aranged a barbeque with our catch for us.
All in all this hotel is a lovely place on Isla and we will defenetly come back!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed April 9, 2013

My sister, two nieces and I spent thirteen days on Isla in March. We spent our time at Hotel La Joya. I have been traveling to Isla Mujeres for over twenty years. For the most part, I have stayed "in town." I am so glad that we ventured to the south side of the island. The hotel was great, the views were amazing! It was an incredibly laid back experience that I am quite sure we will repeat! It is a good idea to have a golf cart of scooters, it's nice to be able to go anywhere you want on a whim!
Isla has certainly gone through some crazy changes, but, I still return. There's just something about that place that puts everything else in life in perspective.
Check out La Joya, if you are looking for some peach and quiet, you have found the right place!

Room Tip: All the rooms are amazing. There are steps to climb, absolutely manageable and inescapable.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Juleymurphy
Reviewed March 20, 2013 via mobile

We just returned home from a stay at Hotel La Joya and cannot wait to go back! The hotel was perfect! Very clean, beautiful and relaxing. We loved the location away from the busy downtown area! I always worry about sleeping in hotels since I am a very light sleeper, but Hotel La Joya was so quiet and calm that I slept great! No doors slamming or loud talking in the hallways since each room has it's own entrance from the outside. Housekeeping never woke us with a knock. They always seemed to know when we were not in the room and never once disturbed us. They paid attention to every detail....even leaving small towels on each side of our bed after noticing the first morning that we had put towels there at night to wipe our feet so that sand didn't get into the bed. The room and view was beautiful. The whole staff was so friendly and inviting! I was so pleased with the hotel and so glad that we chose to stay here. I didn't want to stay in an Americanized resort. I wanted our stay to feel authentic and it did at Hotel La Joya! I highly recommend staying here!

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Jkbuerk4
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed March 11, 2013

First time in Isla and LaJoya was recommended from friends that have stayed here in the past. Beautiful property to relax and enjoy the ocean breeze while laying in the hammock on balcony facing the ocean. Coffee, fresh orange juice delivered to balcony every morning. Honorio and rest of staff were beyond friendly and helpful. Balcony was as large as room. Cannot wait to return. Rented golf cart to see rest of island and try different restaurants.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bill M
Russellville, Kentucky, USA
Reviewed March 2, 2013

My husband and I happened upon this little piece of paradise three years ago while out for a golf cart excursion. We booked it immediately for the following February. We have stayed there twice now and can't imagine staying anywhere else on the island. (actually have tried that... big mistake!) The property is well maintained and improvements are always being made. Enough cannot be said about the view! Honorio, his wife & Chef are a VERY, VERY attentive, hard working, and dedicated staff. The owners are lucky to have such gems to care for their property and guests! We have stayed in different rooms and they were always very clean and well maintained. The property is located on the South end of the island so you will need a golf cart or taxi if you do much moving around on the island. We prefer the quite, serene South side of the island to the North end and love to have a golf cart to travel when we get the urge. We have met many guests at Hotel La Joya that have been coming back year after year and we hope to join that group by doing the same thing. We are early risers and being able to get coffee has never been a problem. Just go to the kitchen and make a pot! The only thing I would change is to be able to bring my baby Yorkies with me next time- two weeks is a long time to miss them! But, sorry, NO PETS. Honorio's understanding of English is improving and you won't find anyone trying to be more helpful. We love Hotel La Joya and are so glad we found it three years ago!

Room Tip: The property is built on a cliff and there are many steep stairs. There are rooms at the top of the...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple