“Ants in the bed!”

Ranked #28 of 38 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
Denver
“Ants in the bed!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2004

When we arrived at Francis Arlene, our reservation was no where to be found. Luckily, they had a room available. The staff was very nice, the price was okay and the place was very quiet. However, when we crawled into bed that night, we discovered sticky sheets covered in ants! Yuck...we'll never stay there again.

5 Thank Mexicotravel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Hebrew first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2004

Beautifully kept hotel. Great location. Nice family running the hotel. Our patio was amazing. Good Deal. Will be back. Thanks

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2004

I read many of the reviews of many of the hotels on Isla Mujeres. When faced with the reality of a hotel in another country, you are a little unsure of what to expect. The Hotel Francis Arlene exceeded my expectations for service and cleanliness. This hotel gives new meaning to the concept of a family run hotel. You really feel like a part of the family. And so do all of the other hotel residents. This hotel is 60 years old by owner accounts. You would never know it. It has an excellent location, courteous staff, the owners bend over backwards to make you feel at home. Most of the people staying there were recurrent guests(For years). My wife was amazed at the cleanliness of the rooms and grounds. It felt like home. Guarded access 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week. reasonable room rate. The hotel is configured so that the place is fully booked and you hardly know anyone is there. We plan to become loyal Francis Arlene return customers. Well Done!

13 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Vancouver, BC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2004

Fell in love with the Francis Arlene after spending a ridiculous hot night at the hotel across the street without air conditioning! The only thing that would make it perfect is a swimming pool ...but overall it's great value for the money, and you just walk down the street to the best beach on the island.

7 Thank mexjill
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2004

I've been going here for 11 yrs now. It's the only place in the world I want to go. We have brought friends and family we always stay at the Francis Arlene. Nice, friendly, secure and clean it's like a second home. The beach and people are wonderful can't find enough wonderful words to describe this island.

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2003

We arrived on Isla Mujeres to start off our honeymoon. The staff was not helpfull at all, and stupidly we agreed to take a room with fan only. After a night of almost no sleep at all (we put our beds right under the fan), we asked for a change of rooms. It took quite some time for the lady working there to give in and show us another room. It turned out that the airconditioning was making the noise of a car, same goes for the fan. All in all, we enjoyed ourselves at the beachbar of Hotel Na Balam during the day, and continued our journey.......

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travelers are raving about these Isla Mujeres hotels

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2003

Firstly - We (family of 5) lovelovelove Isla, have stayed for increasing lengths of time each year, and plan on returing as often as we can. The island people have always been helpful and friendly. Our first year at the Francis Arlene was excellent. Clean rooms, fair rates, friendly staff. No problems what-so-ever. Unfortunately, last year, the agent that booked us in at the Francis Arlene left us all with a very sour taste. We consulted the guidebook (2003)which informed us that the hotel accepted cc's and so, after 3 weeks in Mexico before our trip to Isla, we carefully budgeted our traveller's cheques and our cash, saving our cc for lodging expenses. We had called from Merida a week earlier to ask about the possibility of arriving at the hotel a few days earlier. During the conversation, I was informed that the hotel DID NOT accept credit cards, so I cancelled our reservation and found rooms at another hotel that did accept credit cards. No problems so far - it was apparently no problem for the hotel - nor for us, except for the cc mix up, which was easily sorted, and the fact that the new hotel was alot more expensive, though well worth the extra money. Upon arrival home, and on browsing my emails, I came across a rude and threatening letter from the agent who booked the Francis Arlene for us, saying that we hadn't shown up for our reservation and the hotel had lost 1 nights income and that because of this she was never ever going to book us a room on the island again, without full prepayment, nor was the hotel! When I explained to her the situation, that I had contacted the hotel and cancelled our reservation a week prior to our reservation, that we were mislead about the cc situation and had not budgeted enough cash/travellers cheques to pay cash for the lodging for our last leg of the trip, she remarked that guidebooks didn't contain accurate information. That was it. No apology for her rudeness and preconclusions that we had just not shown up, nor for the obvious misunderstanding and miscommunication on the hotel's part. I must say I was negatively affected by this incident and felt treated as a now undesirable commodity. I only hope that this never happens again.
The hotel is an exceptional deal and I have always recommended it to others who are considering lodging options on Isla. Despite my love for the island, this year we may spend our '4 week high season vacation' and our dineros, in Costa Rica, or Belise, or somewhere other than Isla. Though I'm sure I'll be back, I will not book hotels through this agent again, and I'll warn my friends, family and aquaintances to do the same. Regardless of this negative experience, which was really only a communication mix-up - with a somewhat undipomatic and rude agent - Isla remains a beautiful paradise of an island - relaxing, friendly, excellent restaurants, safe, good value - a great place to take the family. Bye.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member