“Hola Frank, we are coming back!”
Review of Hotel D'Gomar

Hotel D'Gomar
Ranked #33 of 38 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
Burnsville, Minnesota
“Hola Frank, we are coming back!”
Reviewed February 22, 2013

This will be are 4th yr at Isla in March can't wait..Stay with friends at Timeshare for 2wks but then but than look forward to exploring the other areas of Isla..Last year wewe found Hotel D'Gomar ..We rent golf cart next door always at Gomar..met Frank next door at his hotel.. He helped us communicate with rental..very nice..we wanted to stay at his hotel but his 3rd floor balcony was full..we checked when it was open at the end of our stay and booked 3 extra days to stay..We fell in love..it is clean, great friendly staff, fun people watching across from ferry..felt like family as they let us park our golf cart inside every night ..We return this yr 9Mar..I am retired airline employee so dates are never secure do to standby.. But will see Frank & check when we can stay in our favorite room again..This is a value hotel with comfort,atmosphere & the great local flavor of this perfect little island..Can't wait to get there..Don & Donna

Room Tip: Front balcony rooms over street
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed February 19, 2013

My brother stays at Hotel d'Gomar every year and now I know why. I had the opportunity to stay at the Hotel D'Gomar for 4 nights Feb. 4-7th. My girlfriend and I stayed in Room 204 and it was comfortable and clean. The cleaning staff is so sweet. I so enjoy people watching and the little patio area we had was perfect for this. You can take the stairs up to the roof of the hotel and I find that the sunsets from there are just spectacular. I have been coming to the island for over 10 years and some managers of other hotels on the island could take a lesson in politeness from Frank Heredia. He went out of his way to make sure we had everything we needed. He is such a gentleman and really cared that our stay at the hotel be a positive one. He let us hang out in his lobby for a long period of time with our luggage as we waited for our ferry. He is very knowledgeable when it comes to good restaurants, budget food and events taking place on the island.

Janice H.
Minneapolis, MN

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank JaniceH456
calgary
Reviewed February 15, 2013

My husband & I just spent 2 weeks at Hotel D'Gomar (Jan 25-Feb 2013), this was our 5th time staying there, first 2 times were just a few days coming over from Cancun, we fell in the love with the hotel, the island, the staff & the hotel manager Frank Heredia. Our next 3 trips we stayed at Hotel D'Gomar for the entire 2 weeks. We arrived late on our last trip & Frank had stayed around just to welcome us because we are "family". On Jan 29 it was my husbands bday, Frank was at our door first thing in the morning with a cake (he did the same for me July 9). We have done Cancun 13 times will never go back, Isla & Hotel D' Gomar always. Hotel is very clean & friendly, recommend 100%.

Room Tip: rooms at the front are the best for people watching the streets, but very quiet.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed April 25, 2012

I was at this Hotel for one week , and I like it is like 2 or 3 stars hotel , was clean, nice bed, nice view from the 3 floor, hot water, airconditioner works pretty good, and the Internet is so fast but just works at the first floor, ,,, reasonable price, is close to the ferryboat, restaurants, beach,Atm, rentalcars, etc

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Verito23
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed March 20, 2012

Our first experience with Mexico and after having to rush around to find a hotel after our reservations for another hotel were messed up we were completely satisfied with Hotel Gomar.
The rooms were clean and the bathroom was very nice. The beds were comfortable. As one reviewer mentioned the bedcover was from another decade but nothing to worry about. There was someone at the front desk 24/7 for security. There is a nice patio area that has coffee in the morning and we used to meet with friends in the evening. Frank, the manager, is great and always friendly. Many of the other people there that we spoke to have been there many times and keep coming back. When we go back we will stay there again. Really enjoyed the first experience.

Room Tip: We didn't have a room with a fridge. They do have them and its a must for ice and other items su...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank John P
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 1, 2011

I am wondering if it was just the timing of when we were traveling in Isla, but this place was not what I expected after checking tripadvisor reviews. We are budget travelers and the room was pretty disgusting for even our standards. The beds were gross and the door barely locked- we did not feel safe at all, particularly because of the men standing outside of our room on the balcony, partying all night. We only stayed one night and left early. Cannot recommend whatsoever. An Isla tip- you do not need to book in advance- there are many places you can walk right in and book a room on the spot- bring cash and negotiate. I recommend staying on the northern coast of the island- Gomar is literally a stone's throw from the ferry dock, not ideal in any way, shape, or form.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank Amy W

Travelers are raving about these Isla Mujeres hotels

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed January 23, 2011

This is the second year I've stayed at this hotel and Frank Heredia, the manager, was kind, receptive and even though I was there only one night before, he remembered me!

I got a room at the front of the hotel and had an absolute blast. Those rooms have a window that looks out on the ferry landing in front. And I'll take poetic license when I say that I felt like a girl standing on a balcony, waiting in a small Mediterranean village, watching the people and boats come and go. The option I had had a fridge to keep those bottles of bubbly as well as my French cheeses cold.

Granted, the curtains and the bed spreads weren't probably from this decade (and I actually saw in an older photo of this hotel a bed cover that was now the curtain in my room *cringe*). And sure, the little TV room at the bottom of the steps is a little more than dated and can hardly be considered "island decor", the merit of this hotel is the location and the view.

Frank told me that the web page wasn't running because they're going to be renovating. (*sigh of relief*)

Outside the room, right in front of my window, was a little area with a table and chairs where I spent the last hours of 2010, drinking, eating and having a very lovely time.

It's a low-key hotel, close to everything and quite underrated. If you want no-nonsense and a comfortable place to stay, this is definitely your option. If you're looking for luxury, this is definitely NOT your place.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo