“Great place on a budget”
Review of Hotel D'Gomar

Hotel D'Gomar
Ranked #32 of 37 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
Halifax, Canada
“Great place on a budget”
Reviewed March 20, 2012

Our first experience with Mexico and after having to rush around to find a hotel after our reservations for another hotel were messed up we were completely satisfied with Hotel Gomar.
The rooms were clean and the bathroom was very nice. The beds were comfortable. As one reviewer mentioned the bedcover was from another decade but nothing to worry about. There was someone at the front desk 24/7 for security. There is a nice patio area that has coffee in the morning and we used to meet with friends in the evening. Frank, the manager, is great and always friendly. Many of the other people there that we spoke to have been there many times and keep coming back. When we go back we will stay there again. Really enjoyed the first experience.

Room Tip: We didn't have a room with a fridge. They do have them and its a must for ice and other items su...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank John P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 1, 2011

I am wondering if it was just the timing of when we were traveling in Isla, but this place was not what I expected after checking tripadvisor reviews. We are budget travelers and the room was pretty disgusting for even our standards. The beds were gross and the door barely locked- we did not feel safe at all, particularly because of the men standing outside of our room on the balcony, partying all night. We only stayed one night and left early. Cannot recommend whatsoever. An Isla tip- you do not need to book in advance- there are many places you can walk right in and book a room on the spot- bring cash and negotiate. I recommend staying on the northern coast of the island- Gomar is literally a stone's throw from the ferry dock, not ideal in any way, shape, or form.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank Amy W

Travelers are raving about these Isla Mujeres hotels

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed January 23, 2011

This is the second year I've stayed at this hotel and Frank Heredia, the manager, was kind, receptive and even though I was there only one night before, he remembered me!

I got a room at the front of the hotel and had an absolute blast. Those rooms have a window that looks out on the ferry landing in front. And I'll take poetic license when I say that I felt like a girl standing on a balcony, waiting in a small Mediterranean village, watching the people and boats come and go. The option I had had a fridge to keep those bottles of bubbly as well as my French cheeses cold.

Granted, the curtains and the bed spreads weren't probably from this decade (and I actually saw in an older photo of this hotel a bed cover that was now the curtain in my room *cringe*). And sure, the little TV room at the bottom of the steps is a little more than dated and can hardly be considered "island decor", the merit of this hotel is the location and the view.

Frank told me that the web page wasn't running because they're going to be renovating. (*sigh of relief*)

Outside the room, right in front of my window, was a little area with a table and chairs where I spent the last hours of 2010, drinking, eating and having a very lovely time.

It's a low-key hotel, close to everything and quite underrated. If you want no-nonsense and a comfortable place to stay, this is definitely your option. If you're looking for luxury, this is definitely NOT your place.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
3 Thank Tauromaja
Tehachapi, California
Reviewed November 11, 2010

Don't be afraid to check this place out. The staff will understand you if you walk up and need a place to stay. They will show you a room on the first floor. Just ask for a front room on any of the floors and see the best view on the island. The price will be the same, or if in the high season, slightly higher. There is a nice public space on the first floor above the street level that has coffee, shared fridge and wi-fi (need to ask for the code). Love Frank. He is the coolest guy that manages during the day hours and speaks perfect english. We love the Gomar and will return! P.S. There is a magnificent view of the whole island if you walk up to the top floor (if you're not afraid of heights and the housekeeping staff is very efficient, relax it's Mexico...Enjoy!)

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank tinamom
British Columbia
Reviewed February 1, 2010

We only had 1 night on Isla Mujeres and had to leave early the next morning, so we chose this hotel because it's right across the road from the water taxi. We were told $35US for the room but paid 420 pesos...not sure about that conversion, but there's free water and a book exchange in the lobby, and golf cart rentals in the same building. The room was nice enough but with only 1 small window that looked over the street. It was noisy but also in the middle of the action. The beach is a 5 minute walk away. For the money spent it was worth it, though I think I would prefer to stay at one of the other boutique hotels along the market streets next time. Good budget hotel, tidy and convenient. There was a great common area that overlooked the ocean as well.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed January 15, 2010

My first stay was for a month and I have stayed multiple times since. The Hotel is clean,comfortable and safe. The location is right across from the ferry, a few blocks to the most beautiful part of the beach Playa Norte, and is a few blocks from Hildago, yet not right where you hear all of the noise.
Frank is wonderful and amazing and even if I am not staying on the island I always go by and talk with him. He will help you with anything you need and knows everything about the area and will direct you in what things to do.
Coffee service is offered in the mornings. The housekeepers are trustworthy and keep the place spotless.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank RebelMuse
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed January 1, 2010

We stayed there 3 nights.
These are the positives:
Across the street from the ferry terminal(save time and money for transportation)
Close to restaurants,bars ,Hidalgo pedestrian street,a few minutes from beach,golf cart rentals,shops,bank,taxi stand
Relatively clean
Nice patio for free cofee and tea on first floor
Helpful owner
Fridge in some rooms with drinks for $1.50 u.s.
Tv in some rooms with o.k. choice of channels
View of ocean from some rooms(although these rooms may have a bit more noise from the street below)
Price
Strong air conditioners,although the one in our room was loud and cycled on and off very often
King size bed in some rooms although ours was very very firm(o.k. if you like if that way)
Extra blankets in room
Wi-fi in lobby and some parts of first floor(nothing above that)

Negatives
Appearance needs facelift(paint,some new furnishings,some repairs and renovations)
Street noise from some rooms(ask for inside room if this disturbs you but you will not have an ocean view
No elevator with four floors(o.k . if you`re fit or ask for a lower floor room)
Musty smell in some bathrooms at times(probably difficult to prevent with the climate)
Low water pressure at times
No telephone(although some people may call that a positive)
Cheap locks on doors(although there seemed to be someone at the lobby 24 hrs for security
Noisy air conditioner in our room
Clerk at front desk seemed like a nice young man but watched cartoons all day and seemed to get angry when asked any questions.
They would not accept my reservation with a credit card I had to go through the hassle and cost of Western Union.They seem to accept Visa when you^re there.

Overall the hotel is o.k if you`re on a tight budget ,don`t spend much time in the room and can accept some of the other negatives

VERY IMPORTANT WARNING IF YOU RENT A SCOOTER.
I rented one from JOAQUIN SCOOTER RENTALS and ended up in a hospital with a broken collar bone,bruised ribs and cuts everywhere.
Most rental shops want tro squeeze every penny out of you and don`t care about your safety.
You should check the following before paying:
Headlight,brake lights,speedometer,turn signals,horn,gas cap,brakes ,steering and body damage.They have no laws to maintain their vehicles.If you have an accident even if it`s because of a problem with their scooters they will have the police stop you from leaving without paying them whatever they ask for.A police office stayed with me at he hospital until I was forced to pay up even though the vehicle was defective and no damage was done to it only to me.You`re only other option is to hire a lawyer and probably spend months fighting it.I would also suggest that you make a copy of your drivers licence and laminate it since they take it when you pick up the scooter.This way it doesn`t matter if they don`t return it to you.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family